Personal View site logo
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • I just finished this video. Shot mostly with D5200, some GH1 and RX100

• @mojo43 Can i ask the workflow?

Profile used in camera to shoot, and what to do then? This looks very good. Also, wich lenses?

Thanks

• For sure... gh1 hacked was shot using Vibrant profile with sharpness dialed down with a kit 14-140mm and a Canon 50mm f1.4 FD. The Nikon cam was shot standard with contrast dialed all the way down and sharpness at 2 with a Sigma 30mm f1.4.

I used Edius to edit and grade.

Hope this helps!

• Yes, thanks. I've the nikon d5200, pretty happy with it but was looking for IS, or IBIS. I was going to take the em5 again, but then i realized i don't have to shoot in 30p only and in that orrible firmware. I've the Sigma 30mm f1.4 too! So now i'm trying to get Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, don't know if i've to trade my Sigma or have two lens together (poor pockets, not much money..). With nikon d5200 we can shoot good videos, and we have good high iso performance. Don't have to change it.

• Yep, I completely agree. I am really happy with the D5200. I wish I had the D5300 for the 60p, but it is not needed.

• How do you find the GH1 vs the D5200?

As I'm looking seriously at the D5200 to be my GH1 replacement (as getting a new body is becoming rather urgent), what would I be looking forward to gaining and losing?

• @mojo43 Really nice work, especially the consistent color balance between cameras and lighting conditions. I've combined Nikon D5100 and GH2/AF100 footage in some projects, and it's not always easy to get a good match.

@IronFilm The main differences I found in Panasonic vs. Nikon video:

GH1/GH2: Rich color, nice highlights, crappy shadows, limited ISO range.

D5100/D5200: Clinical color, harsh highlights, smooth shadows, broad ISO range.

IMO, nothing under $3000 beats the hacked GH2's motion picture quality. GH1 is not too far behind, but both fail to match Nikon's dynamic range and shadow detail.

The D5100 has now been hacked, with bitrates similar to the hacked GH1. D7000, D600, and D800 are hacked as well, but not yet for the D5200 and D7100. IMO, D5200 fixed pattern noise is worse than D5100, but D5200 moire is not as harsh as D5100. I prefer the D5100, since I use it for low-light, where moire is rarely an issue. The hack also gives D5100 Manual mode for video, eliminating the D5200's functional advantage.

I recently built a new set of Nikon gamma control profiles that work flawlessly on the D5100 and D800, along with matching profiles for ACR/Photoshop/Lightroom. Combined with the 54Mbps hack, the Nikon's produce better low-light footage than anything I've seen short of RAW video capture. (Still gotta watch out for highlights and moire, though, for that I'll stick with the GH2.)

• @LPowell

I recently started using your profiles on my D600, specifically I use the 0.7 and the 1.0 profiles. I would love to use your new gamma control profiles any chance of sharing those with the rest of us ;-). Thanks again for all your hard work and sharing your patches, profiles etc with the rest of us.

• @Azo Thanks for your interest in the Nikon Gamma Controls. I made the original Beta version you're using with Nikon's Picture Control utility, and was dissatisfied with the inaccuracy of its gamma curves. A few months ago I downloaded Adobe's DNG SDK and figured out how to algorithmically generate accurate gamma curves for use with Nikon DSLR's in Adobe Camera RAW, with standard Nikon NEF files.

That showed me how to fix my issues with Nikon's PCU gamma curves, and I generated a new set of 21 profiles from gamma 0.4 to 2.5. With my new system, however, I need to generate sets of curves based on a particular picture profile specifically for each camera model. So far, I've made gamma curves in Neutral and Portrait profiles for the D5100 and D800, manually using custom tools. I'm currently looking into ways to automate the generation of the curves.

I'm thinking of doing some private gamma tests on Nikon models I don't have on hand. I'll generate the profiles and docs for the D600 and contact you via PM when they're ready.

• @mojo43

Very nice video! Must be nice to travel around to different countries, I would love to travel around the world to experience the different foods, cultures etc. @Lpowell thank you sir please pm me I am more then happy to test out your gamma controls. I have also tested the Flat 11 picture profile but prefer your settings over the Flat 11.

• @Azo Flaat 11 is also a useful profile that attempts to strike a good compromise between highlight detail, midrange contrast, and shadow detail. It produces a low-contrast image that is intended for serious grading in post.

The Gamma Control Profiles are quite different. Instead of a single profile like Flaat 11, 1 provide a full range of 7 gamma levels you can select in-camera. This allows you to lower your ISO to capture as much highlight detail as you want. You can then raise the gamma to boost shadow and midrange tones as bright as you want, without affecting the exposure of white and black levels. So basically, you can adjust the overall exposure as flat as you like, either for grading in post, or to use directly as shot.

• Can I ask what speed sd cards does the 5200 require?.. I have spent the last two years buying expensive 95mb/s sandisks for my bmpcc and hacked gh2.. I assume this is not as memory or speed hungry?

• Thank you for your time developing the Gamma controls @Lpowell

I personally prefer Flaat10 over Flaat11. How do you compare your controls with Flaat10?

• Nikon D5300 test video. Footage compared with 550D and D5200.

• @Stuja Low-contrast picture profiles like Flaat10 and 11 attempt to improve both shadow and highlight detail with an inverse S-curve that pushes image details toward the middle of the histogram. These profiles are intended for serious grading and usually look dull straight out of the camera. The developer designed these curves for the D5200 and D800 and later cameras, and cautions they may not work as well on earlier models. Detailed info here:

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

I designed the Nikon Gamma Controls to produce mathematically precise gamma curve adjustments, cross-compatible with all camera models and editors. DSLR's compress H.264 video with a gamma 2.2 curve, which is intended for direct viewing on consumer televisions. This is a sub-optimal curve for preserving shadow details. In your outdoor shot at 00:54 above, the foreground passerby is underexposed in the shadows while the white bridge and buildings are somewhat overexposed. With Nikon Gamma Controls, you can adjust shadow and highlight exposure levels separately, allowing you to lower the ISO to capture more highlight details. You can then adjust the gamma to increase the exposure of shadow details to the degree desired. Shooting at a low ISO is highly desirable for maximizing the camera's dynamic range.

In post-production, gamma curves have two major advantages. When you manipulate gamma, maximum white and minimum black levels remain fixed, keeping your exposure limits unchanged. In addition, the calibration of gamma curves is standardized among most video editors. When editing in a high-precision color-space, this allows you to make accurate gamma adjustments that are both repeatable and reversible without perceptible loss of image data. With Nikon Gamma Controls, I've taken series of test shots at wide ranging gamma levels, imported them into After Effects, and inverted their gamma adjustments to confirm the mathematical accuracy of my gamma curves. It also demonstrated that boosting gamma in-camera and then lowering it in post can produce perceptibly superior shadow details than the camera's default gamma curve.

• @Lpowell Thank you for your detail explanation, and again thank you for spending time to develop these controls.

Just to be clear the video I posted above is not mine, it is a test made by Bruno Chansou (https://vimeo.com/brunochansou/videos) who uses Nikon D5200 for his films.

• The D5200 now has an Alpha patch, for those who don't know. 40mbps, with 60mbps in the pipeline I believe.

• Anyone can confirm that the wireless app on the D5200 let to monitor on a smartphone the video output in real time (like in recent panasonic camera)? It would be very useful to me since in many situations I can't use hdmi but a cheap external monitor like a tablet or a smartphone with low-res while I am shooting in external would be highly appreciated :)

• Here is the trailer of a feature film I have found on vimeo enterely realized with 4 nikon d5200. I think it should be the first feature film shooted with this cam. (It has been funded via IndieGogo. The diretors are Ray Mongelli & Chris Niespodzianski)

• Hi there, I'm a new owner of D5200 and I'd like to ask if there is any tutorial for shooting and postprocessing video with this camera.
    If there isn't any I'd like to ask with what criteria I choose the right ISO setting If the video settings are manual and the speed is 1/50 (I'm a PAL user) and f 5,6.
    Final question is which frame rate is better 24p or 25p?

• The patch ( for the D5200 works real good!! Less noise and less banding at high ISO. Can now shoot at ISO 5000 with just a little bit of noise that easily can be filtered out.

• @Craftwerk Good news! Is available any comparison test on vimeo/other platform?

• Now the Annoying Fixed horizontal pattern noise is GONE!!! The "Video HQ 40mbps Bit-rate" fot Nikon D5200 hack did it.. The noise is now like in D5300.

• Now the difference between d5200 and d5300 would be pretty unnoticeable ;) Besides the fpn, have you noticed other dramatic improvement in video quality with the hack ? @terozzz

• Can anybody else confirm that FPN is gone with the 40mbps patch?