Personal View site logo
Sony a6000 topic
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • @bleach551: many, many thanks! I've downloaded the files, opened them in FCPX and I've done some tweaking, just to taste the Sony's robustness under less than professional hands like mine. Looks like this camera can be really a great choice for me: I've almost reached the same look with the Nikon shoot, not exactly, but almost there... Thanks again!

• @trafficarte,

You're welcome! When it stop raining down here I will see if I can upload some more files if I have the time.

@albertZ,

Don't forget, Like I stated earlier in this thread, the D7100 had a "+2" sharpening and the A6000 had its sharpness turned all of the way down to "-3". The "Neutral" profile is indeed flat, I would say flatter than the "Neutral" profile in the D7100. However, other profiles in the A6000 are much more saturated and look almost indentical to the D7100's test footage image.

Like I mentioned to @trafficarte Its raining heavily where I live now, but I will try to do another test with the D7100's sharpness turned all the way down to "0" and not "+2".

Test footage settings:

Lens Used Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton SL-II At Aperture F/2.8( It was about to rain so it was very cloudy)

Canon D7100

I thought I set everything to all Zeros(0,0,0,0,0) but after checking the file in "ViewNX" it says that it was

+2 (sharpening) -1 (contrast) 0 (brightness) +1 (saturation) 0 (hue)

Neutral picture profile used. Sorry about not having everything set to all 0's, It was about to rain and I haven't used my D7100 in a few weeks.

Sony A6000

0 (contrast) 0 (saturation) -3(Sharpness)

-1 would have been the equal of +2 in the D7100. Neutral Profile was used.

ISO 100, Tiffen .3 ND 72mm filter used.

A buddy of mine is going to buy my D7100 soon so I don't know how much longer I will have the D7100 for test footage.

• @AlbertZ, @trafficarte

I had a little time when the storm let up some so I have some more test footage.

I Have used "Wetransfer" .

The files will include all 13 picture profiles in the Sony A6000. I have them in both their original .MTS file and in clipwrapped .mov files.

All of the picture profiles were set to:

0 (contrast) 0 (saturation) -1(Sharpness).

here is the WEtransfer link to all 26 files 607.8 mbs

http://we.tl/pichAHE8XU

Shot with Sony A6000 and Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton at F/4, ISO 100, Tiffen .3 72mm ND filter.

• @bleach551: thanks again, II've messed around with your files and I'm really glad to see how much I can push before nasty artifacts appear. :-)

• Macro test

• Comparison with GX7

• Here's a rolling shutter test I made with the Sony A6000 and Contax Zeiss 135mm f2.8 At F4.

• Here's a dynamic range test I made with the Sony A6000 and Nikon 105mm f1.8 ais at F2.8.

• Thanks for all the tests @bleach551 Any chance you can get hold of an external recorder like a ninja or hyperdeck and shoot some underexposed images? I like my 5N a lot for many reasons, but any part of the image that was underexposed was either clipped or full of the most annoying macro blocking fuzz. If the A6000 can avoid that with an external recorder, I'll probably get it instead of the GH4.

• I had a good amount of time with the A6000 taking photos over the weekend. Here's some photos from RAW and edited in lightroom. Had to resize as they were big files.

Ive got to get used to the 24 megapixels. It first seemed that the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 is poorer performing than when used with the 6. But the zeiss has characteristics I like. This camera needs sharp lenses to get the best out of it. I love the extra resolution. It at first seemed really noisy at higher iso's in Raw but cleans up nicely and once you bring down the resolution of the final pic it can dissipate a lot of the noise.

Left photo is the 18-105mm (Surprisingly good for photo work) Right is the 24mm f1.8 (look at that messy bokah and CA)...lower quality than the originals.

DSC00608.jpg
    3000 x 2000 - 1M
    DSC01089.jpg
    3000 x 2000 - 2M
    DSC01011.jpg
    3000 x 2000 - 2M
  • About that video that was posted earlier (the vs GX7) Clearly the guy failed to understand that sensitivities are different between the two and needs to learn to expose things properly in relation to the cameras characteristics.
    Ive always found that Nex cameras always over expose in video and put it down at around -0.7 EV. Another very simple solution...use a polariser or ND.

• the review of the a6000 from dpreview claims the video is "not hugely impressive" and "much less detailed than the RX10".

• @babypanda dpreview? really? http://soundimageplus.blogspot.it/2014/06/dpreview-review-of-sony-a6000-oh-dear.html

I chuckled at the reviewer marking the camera down because of his hand moving the camera when hitting record. Like that never happens with any other mirrorless/dslr or camcorder!

No the video quality isnt "hugely impressive". Its perfectly fine for what it is. What does hugely impressive mean anyway? GH4 standard? The cam don't cost over a grand and isn't targeted to the prosumer filmmaking market...yet ironically has decent peaking and zebra options offered in the package...wheras some prosumer products cant even get that right.

Its a bit boring reading idiotic negatives whenever a new E mount camera comes out.

• if it makes you feel any better, the review is very positive regarding the feature set.

"the a6000 boasts a pretty impressive video specification, not just in terms of the headline spec of 1080p video at 60/30 and 24p, but also in terms of how much control is offered and how many supporting features are included."

• @arum,

I hoping to get an Atomos ninja star when it came out to see how much difference it makes.

@Mimirsan,

I think it seems ever reviewer now compares every new camera to the GH4. The GH4 is a great camera for $1699, however the A6000 is not trying to compete in the same range as the Gh4.

The A6000's competition are other none 4K cameras on the market and in that area I think it is very competitive.

• @Mimirsan,

In my Dynamic range test (The one After the vs GX7 test) I was trying to properly expose both the Highlights and shadows. This was kinda impossible with a $700 camera so, in one or two of the clips in the dynamic range test, you can clearly see the highlight blow out.

I will try to perform another Dynamic range test with complete control of the highlights and try to save as much shadow detail as I can with in-camera settings only.

• @bleach551 Totally agree. It helps to approach these things realistically. :-)

• Here is my second Dynamic range Test.

This is the 2nd Dynamic range test of the Sony A6000 using my Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 MMJ at F4

With this test I only considered proper exposure of the Highlights and let the Shadows fall where they may. I did not allow any highlights to exceed Zebras IR 85 in camera.

As you can see the overall image is underexposed, however my intent of this test was to solely control the highlights.

I used the "Portrait" picture profile with settings:

-3(Contrast) 0 (Saturation) -2(Sharpness)

ISO 160

"Dynamic Optimizer" Level 5.

Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 MMJ at F4

Tiffen 77mm 2.1 IR/ND filter

• @Bleach551 Lovely highlights! To me, that looks very filmic.

• @oscillian,

Thanks very much! Every effort I tried to increase the overall image exposure of this video resulted in the zebras going off.

I also thought about the fact that I was using a Zeiss Contax lens, Zeiss known for having contrasty lenses, could have effected the dynamic range results. Maybe a lens that rendered a more "neutral" image would have done better.

• @bleach551 Thanks again, I've done some tweaking into FCPX with exposure and It's really a pleasure to see how better is this camera against the Canons (7d and 550D) I've used until now. I know it's not top notch, but among the price range (and computer power to manage the files) that I can afford this seems to be the right one... If only it wasn't the mid year taxes month....

• Nex-5n is famous for it's overheating problem. Best solution is to remove the adesive to expose the holes in the back under the lcd. Even with this solution the overheating icon starts to blink in lcd after some time recording. Problem happens in 24p and is worst in 60p. Using a computer fan helps someway. I am curious to know about the A6000 overheating... How much time the A6000 can keep recording before the overheating icon starts to blink? Does the A6000 have the holes in the back under the adesive like the 5N? Does the ambient temperature influence the recording time in the A6000? See: