Personal View site logo
Sony a6000 topic
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • @Mirmirsan How flat can you make the settings in video to get the most dr? Can you change the settings to get a good flat setting comparable to Canon's CineStyle?

• @bleach551 I recommend the 18-105mm PZ its big and there is some distortion but its nice to have a constant aperture parifocal type lens for video.

@Tinyrobot Flattest I can go is neutral -3-3-3 on sharpness,saturation & contrast...never used a Canon so wouldnt really know if it compares to cinestyle. I never bought the a6000 for grading.

• @Mimirsan,

I was thinking of both the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS and the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS. I try to keep the lenses that I will use indoor and outdoor at or under F/2 maximum aperture. I think the 18-105mm has a max aperture of f/4. These will go with my Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZF.2, Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton, Contax Zeiss 85mm 1.4 MMJ, and Nikon 105mm 1.8 AIS( thinking of replacing this with a Contax 100mm f2 MMJ). Can you tell I have a thing for Prime Lenses.

• @bleach551 ..Go for the Sony E 50mm it is a nice lens.I had the camera for more than 1 month.and it is really a great camera! Read the review at eoshd but the eoshd guy seems to be in love with Panasonic (or paid by Panasonic)..

• Read the review at eoshd but the eoshd guy seems to be in love with Panasonic (or paid by Panasonic)..

LOL. He is not. He just not research and try things deeply.

• @Woolhats,

Thanks for the "Like" on Vimeo. I have about $750 to spend and I wanted at least one auto focus lens. I was trying to decide on both the 35 and the 50 or the 50mm and atomos ninja star. Like you, I think I will be going for 50mm 1.8 OSS and Ninja Star. Yes, Andrew seems to love something one review and the next review the same item is now subpar.

• My guess is that there is some sort of mutual understanding between bloggers and the camera companies. The company understand that they cannot force bloggers to give their products a positive review. The bloggers understand that if they blast a company's product right out of the gate the company is free to exclude them from the list of early access to future products which will hurt their blog traffic. That's why you see bloggers always hyping a newly announced product to scratch the company's back and only after the product has been widely released for a while do they post the real review.

• @BlackLegSanji

That makes a lot of since. Never thought of that before.

• Here's A Test I did to test the Moire and Aliasing capabilities of the Sony A6000. I intentionally moved the camera constantly to try to induce moire and aliasing.

• I see some slight moire in the 3rd scene of this video that was not present in the original video. This could be due to the smaller viewer on this page or Vimeo compression.

However, on the vimeo page it's not present so it must be due to th e size of the viewer on this page. Please download the original for a better examination.

• @bleach551 I would also say go for the 50mm f1.8 it renders a very nice image. I have both the 35mm & 50mm and always go for the 50mm ;-)

I've been looking at conflicting reviews of the A6000...some saying they love it some say it doesn't do as its advertised in regards to the AF. I now put this down to the reviewer not looking into the product as deeply as they should.

Many bloggers use a camera for about 10 minutes and then make a final decision. Some always have a preference to a particular product. Some are just knobs. :-D

• Though a6000 footage is much less sharp than the cheaper d5200 to my eyes, it has the advantage of the mirrorless mount..

• ..and evf.... and peaking.... and zebra bars... and silent AF... :-)

• @Mimirsan,

The 50mm I think would be the best choice if I could only get one. The 35mm although it has very little distortion(from reviews I read) like the 50mm, I think the 50mm would be a better "Walk around" lens.

It seems like some reviews simply make early reviews just to get people at their blogs to promote themselves.

@AlbertZ,

I don't know where you read or have seen that the A6000 was much less sharp than the D5200. I have the D7100, which I am going to sell soon, and the A6000 is every bit, if not sharper than my D7100

I don't know if you are comparing the D5200 with some new "hack", which may make the d5200 slightly sharper, but the d5200 and my D7100 both suffered from FPN(Fixed pattern noise). I don't believe a hack wll get rid of this. The A6000 has no fixed pattern noise.

I believe there is only(presently) a 40mbit hack I've seen mentioned on the "Nikon Hacker". 40mbit won't be enough to significantly improve the sharpness of the D5200 or the FPN. Also, the D5200 had an "Anti-aliasing" filter, the D7100 does not , this made it slightly sharper than the d5200 at least in photo mode.

• @bleach551 happy to know that A6000 is sharper than D5200...my opinion was based only watching videos on vimeo and some .mts file on the net, it is possible that the vimeo compression has influenced my eye. I was very interested in buying an a6000 camera, in order to use FD and M42 lenses I actually have for my GH2, but the results I've found on the net seemed to be less sharp than d5200 (not hacked) +Nikon Ais footage. Could you upload a shot by shot comparison (d5200 or d7100? It would be very useful :)

• @AlbertZ,

I didn't state that the A6000 was sharper than the D5200, what I stated was that the D5200 was not "much" sharper than the A6000. This was based on the fact that I own both the D7100 and the A6000 and compared the video from both. I don't own the D5200, just the D7100 like I mentioned earlier. If I have time later this week, I will try to do a short comparison between my D7100 and my A6000. I will have to unbox my D7100 which I was preparing to sell.

• I would say a comparison is pointless as MTS may display differently in comparison to MOV on different computers/screens/monitors/media players.

Also then there is in camera sharpening/settings. Then there is lens difference in how it renders a image,focus etc.

Both of the cameras mentioned can be post sharpened without much extra artifact. So if you want it sharp..sharpen it!

I've found the D5200 to be soft out of the cam but with some post sharpening its nice and sharp. I had to dial down the sharpness on the A6000 as I found the standard settings too sharp.

Its all very subjective and depends on the users taste. :-)

• @Mimirsan,

You are again correct. I currently use Final Cut Pro 7 for the .mts footage from the A6000 .I used Avid Media Composer 5.5 when I was editing my Panasonic GH1, Canon 7D, Nikon D7000 and D7100.

With the .mts files from My GH1(7), my workflow was to run them through "Cilpwrap" and then transcode the files in their new.mov wrappers into media composer as DNxHD 175X(10 bit). After I sold the GH1(7) to get another D7000( the D7000 that I previously owned I sold to get GH1), I imported the already .mov files into Media Composer transcoded as DNxHd 175X(10 bit).

Even though I used a comparable amount of very low in-camera sharpening in both the GH1(7) and the Nikons, I could always sharpen the the Nikons more and also more to my liking than the GH1(7) ,which I thought at sometimes looked too harsh, but I could never get the Nikon footage anywhere close to the sharpness of my GH1(7) footage.

Now that I am using Final cut Pro 7, I have imported footage from both the A6000 and D7100 using "Log and Transfer" and imported the .mov files from the D7100 by the "import" function. The footage from the D7100 that was "imported", under "clip Info" in now "H.264" in Final cut. However, the footage from the D7100 that was imported in using "log and Transfer", under "clip info" is "Prores 422" the same as my selected Sequence settings.

The .mov footage that was edited and processed of the D7100 that was imported as H.264 doesn't,IMHO, look as good as the .mov footage that was edited and processed of the D7100 that was imported as Prores 422. That simply due to different compression codecs in which they were imported into Final cut with.

Different NLE's, different sharpening, different import and export settings as well as different types of post processing work done can play a big difference in how a final image form any camera looks.

Mimirsan,

I also thought the A6000's he default in-camera sharpening of "0" was too sharp. I use either -1 or -2

• @bleach551 very useful info, thanks! when you have time to unbox your D7100 and upload two files of the same shot, we can test them in a NLE...not a scientific comparison, obviously... thanks again for your thoughts and time :)

• @AlbertZ,

I will be conducting the test you ask for within the next Hour. I will include both a .mts file from the A6000 and a RE-wrapped .mov files of the .mts file from Clipwrap v2.6.1. I will also include a .mov file from the D7100. I was also going to shoot "Neutral" picture profiles on both

any preference on where you want the files uploaded to? I was going to use "Rapidgator", the only thing about Rapidgator is that if you dont have a premium membership, you may have to wait in between downloads.

Also I will be using the same lens on both cameras. Would you prefer the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZF.2 or the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton? Also what F-stop would you prefer?

• @bleach551 No problem for Rapidgator, I do not have the premium membership however it is not a problem to wait. I would use the Voigtlander 58mm at f4 for the test. Thanks in advance, it's a very helpful test! :)

• @AlbertZ,

Hopefully I did this correctly.

http://rg.to/file/f83bbc46a3f1ee36dac76ce9c0bdc8c9/Sony_A6000.MTS.html

http://rg.to/file/c305536501c1e27fe135565fb84f4c3d/Sony_A6000_Clipwrapped.mov.html

http://rg.to/file/3b8e7dff86602f5e0f75a79729508edd/Nikon_D7100.MOV.html

Lens Used Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton SL-II At Aperture F/2.8( It was about to rain so it was very cloudy)

Canon D7100

I thought I set everything to all Zeros(0,0,0,0,0) but after checking the file in "ViewNX" it says that it was +2 (sharpening) -1 (contrast) 0 (brightness) +1 (saturation) 0 (hue)

Neutral picture profile used. Sorry about not having everything set to all 0's, It was about to rain and I haven't used my D7100 in a few weeks.

Sony A6000

0 (contrast) 0 (saturation) -3(Sharpness)

-1 would have been the equal of +2 in the D7100. Neutral Profile was used.

ISO 100, Tiffen .3 ND 72mm filter used.

• @bleach551, I can't download the files, every click starts a loop of "please wait...". It's possible for you to put them on Wetransfer?

Thanks

• @trafficarte,

Here is the "Wetransfer" Link to all 3 files you requested! Sorry about the Rapidgator Links not working for you.

http://we.tl/NacfL2w3Ia

Have to go to bed now! see you in the morning.

• @bleach551 thank you very much, just downloaded! My impression now is that, apart from a bit (but just a bit, I agree with you) of sharpness advantage of Nikon, the very difference is the color contrast between the two video straight from camera ;) With a proper color grading, I think that result will be very very close :)