Personal View site logo
Vimeo started checking audio for copyright
  • Today Vimeo is introducing a new system called Copyright Match that will help us ensure that the videos on our platform follow our Community Guidelines when it comes to respecting the copyrights of other artists and creators.

When you upload a video to Vimeo, Copyright Match “fingerprints” a sample of its audio to see if it matches that of certain third-party copyrighted material, such as songs, movies, and TV shows.

If we find a match, we’ll present you with a few simple options. If you believe your video follows our guidelines, you can quickly and easily appeal the match by providing Vimeo’s moderators with more information. You can tell us that you’re using the material with permission, that your use of the material is protected by “fair use".

http://vimeo.com/blog/post:626

I strongly oppose such systems, as it rarely made any improvements other than introducing more horrible DIY music in good videos.

• 97 Replies sorted by
  • yes that sucks. I have already had trouble using vimeo so I just use youtube now

• yes that sucks. I have already had trouble using vimeo so I just use youtube now

But of course youtube has had this for a long time now ...

• I am in favour of it

• I am in favour of it

Any reason for this?

• This looks like one of those rare times you're in agreement with Andrew Reid! He is not pleased at all either.

• I produce copyrightable product.

It would be entirely hypocritical of me use somebody else's product without obtaining clearance and rights. If I did then I should not have any rights to defend my own copyrights.

If you think it's fine for persons to use other music without clearance, than similarly, anybody should be able to start a website, call it personal-view ... register personal-view.[net|id|info|whatever] ... and steal your logo and content.

• On you tube, I have made two copyright claims and had them remove 2 videos. And, I have had 4 issued automatically against my uploads - to which I have responded with details of the clearance and registrations. It's not an issue if you respect copyright.

I expect the same 4 claims to be issued by vimeo, which will be cleared up pretty much instantly.

• It would be entirely hypocritical of me use somebody else's product without obtaining clearance and rights. If I did then I should not have any rights to defend my own copyrights.

Cool. But you mixing things.

Copyright idea is to protect your rights and give you ability to get some reward. Yet. Copyright now is just a tool of huge corporations. And if you will check distribution of income, authors and even whole production chain get small part, banks and owners get most.

For example, such tools as Vimeo will prevent you to upload video even if it has few seconds of some song playing inside your car during the shot. Same is true if widely known, 30-50 year old tune is used.

I am not against you getting reward, but song copyright can be 2-3 years, without your ability to determinate distributors or usage (just ability to get reasonable reward), no more, with all rights going to public domain right after this time is up.

• I am not sure where you get 2-3 years from. While there are variations from country to country in copyright duration.

Here is a link to UK site that's fairly concise.
    http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-duration/c-duration-faq/c-duration-faq-lasts.htm

It is also worth noting that there are 2 types of copyright to consider, compositional and mechanical (a recording). For example the song "House of the rising sun' while compositionally in the public domain, If I record it as single ... the recording is copyrighted until 70 years after my death.

• I am not sure where you get 2-3 years from. While there are variations from country to country in copyright duration.

I got it from my head, as 3 years is top normal copyright time, not the ones currently present in laws.

If I record it as single ... the recording is copyrighted until 70 years after my death.

And this is that I mean, your recording under normal laws must allow you reasonable reward for no more than 2 years and you can't restrict anyone to publish or use it as long as he pays you, but any payment stop as you get more than 10x times of your expenses for recording.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, the 3 years copyright might only work for artists who are already famous, can live off immediate sales of their hits and have big company doing promotion work to ensure good chance of sales. All other artists will get screwed by that idea, especially small artists without radio hits.

I agree that copyright laws need to be reworked, and your 10x expenses limit (or similar idea) is worth thinking about - although in some countries taxation already takes care of that. But as long as artists are supposed to survive in capitalist economy, it's important to keep copyright laws in such form that there is good possibility to make a living by making music. Even as it is now, artists who can live off their music are only the very small tip of a huge iceberg. All artists not at the top are already struggling, what's the good in making it even worse for them.

For-profit companies who make money selling advertising added to content made by artists should pay for using that content. That is what Youtube and Vimeo copyright is about. And at the moment they pay very small sums per stream, many zeroes after the decimal point. No artist could live on that, and for marginal artists with streams numbering in few thousands or less it's a joke. A sum equivalent to buying one coffee cup, in exchange for tens of hours of work not counting the recording and equipment costs.

The good thing about music is that it's largely open source anyway and much of what is copyrighted as "closed source" is rarely enforced. Musical elements are generally recyclable, anyone can use same chord progressions, rhythm patterns and so on. Unless a work is copied tone for tone and note for note, there are usually no legal problems, and even if something sounds very similar it is often not challenged by rightsholders of original works. Sometimes that is because prior art, literally, is already in public domain. Like going along circle of fifths - thousands of tracks use it, and most variations of that idea will be found in music from 1600s to 1900s.

• the 3 years copyright might only work for artists who are already famous, can live off immediate sales of their hits and have big company doing promotion work to ensure good chance of sales. All other artists will get screwed by that idea, especially small artists without radio hits.

Why? Small artists usually have little worth saving for more than 3 years.
    Otherwise they just need to work as any other people. Write more and good stuff. Do not hope to live on payments on some old things.

• I totally agree with Vitality.

And there is also the problem with buying songs for small commercial use (like uploading a wedding video on vimeo). They tray to charge a very high amount of money for it. Sometimes the filmmaker earns less than he must pay for a good song.

• They tray to charge a very high amount of money for it. Sometimes the filmmaker earns less than he must pay for a good song.

I think good idea is to look at local performers and bands. Sometimes it can be cheaper to record it from scratch and may be even modify it according to your video.

• Next up. Tons of silent movies at Vimeo. These new rules also include all private videos. Go figure.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Sales are different for small artists. In extreme cases, it may be little to no sales for many years, then artist gets more exposure (some radio play, bookings, DJ support, etc) and their back catalogue gets more interest as well. It may not be very big number of sales but still significant for the artist and label.

Sorry to hang onto a single sentence, but this one caught my attention: "Artists need to work as other people [if they need money]". It is an interesting argument. It can be reversed into "other people need to work as artists [if they need music]". Just grab a music textbook, invest in instruments, put in a few years of practice, genre studies, art theory and such, and make your own music. No need to pay artists anything, just make DIY music, preferably good and original ;)

• Good topic! And good arguments already from both “sides”. Bravo! True, it’s easy to place a finger on the irony here, in regards to artists wanting something for nothing from other artists… [Artist] - World’s most overused noun:)

I sit in both camps.

I’ve made my living as a filmmaker since the eighties. I’ve worked on in or above nearly every level of film and commercial production, secured rights for many songs, had material - intellectual, physical and representative [reel stuff] ripped from under my feet. I used to have hissy-fits over the injustices I’d witness over copyright infringements and misrepresentation. Now I don’t really.

A © revamp would be great, but unlikely. I don’t know the details. I do know that it’s possible to police your own work (with some difficulty) if you wish. Vimeo’s young proprietors are probably looking down the gun barrel of a hungry set of opportunistic entertainment lawyers from the Excited States; so they’re must be crawling around the water cooler, pooping their skinny jeans. Rightly so.

Today’s indie musicians are a good model for what we enthusiast/pros can do. Make your stuff and get out and show/exhibit it. Have your local banjo player score and call out the moves, then promenade into real musician/filmmaker collaborations. These can be some of the most gratifying experiences a filmmaker can have. (Can’t speak for the musicians though?) Use your microphones and whiz-bang, holy-cow recording gadgets to record things to go behind the videos. And Cats! Well they purr and meow. Sequence meows in your midi setup and drop marbles on the keys!

In short, the extra work finding music will make us take a second look at our latest tree branch or tinker toy dynamic range/duo motion picture masterpieces. And that can’t be bad:)

There’s some public domain music out there. That might be a quick fix, but also might summon the dead.

As far as Justin Beiber songs behind unpack-aging videos is concerned: You have my permission:)

• Funny thing is, there are also musicians looking for copyright-free videos.

One such musician recently asked for permissions to use a timelapse video I made many years ago. He wanted to use it as visuals for his music. I had made both photography and original music for that video and consider it a work that should not be recontextualized, especially as it is now part of history of the city it's about. So I did not grant him permission for that material, but gave him a link to a Vimeo timelapse group.

I suppose he'll soon find more photo- and videographers who want original music :)

• @bheath - skinny jeans! heh.

I figured this day was coming, Vimeo could only hold out for so long before the bmg et al assholes knocked down the door. I have to agree with Vitaliy about the length of copyright. Maybe not as short as 2-3 years, but it needs to be reigned in. As it applies to a new artist (as someone mentioned) if they become popular and people are interested in their back catalog, a copyright expiring will probably not keep them from buying that artist's music. It's ridiculous that someone still owns the rights to Happy Birthday.

• A © revamp would be great, but unlikely.

Most fun thing that it can happen much sooner than you think. And it'll happen all by itself. With destruction of excessive parasites that live selling old art things, and, later, unfortunately, with destruction of most artists.

It's ridiculous that someone still owns the rights to Happy Birthday.

I look at this as special form of tax - parasites tax. Society made an agreement - as long as parasites don't go after their food and stuff - they are free to rise the tax. Such agreement happens in nature between parasite and its host, parasite do not kill the host, just get some part of it's energy. In larger scale society did same things with banks and insurers.

• The problem with very short copyright (for recordings) is that as soon as back catalogue is in public domain, anyone can sell it - or do whatever else they want - without paying original artist. So that little income would likely become non-existent except for a few buys from extra loyal fans who go to extra lengths to buy from original source.

With same attitude, how long would you allow movies to retain copyright? The ones you make and charge for or otherwise monetize? Would it be OK if someone started selling your works after three years, without paying you? Or began cutting it up for stock material, and then selling the footage without paying you?

70 years after death is ridiculous, but so would be only few years after creation. Perhaps a good balance would be that copyrights last as long as artists' working career, or until death.

• The problem with very short copyright (for recordings) is that as soon as back catalogue is in public domain, anyone can sell it - or do whatever else they want - without paying original artist. So that little income would likely become non-existent except for a few buys from extra loyal fans who go to extra lengths to buy from original source.

I think solution here is special "saving mode", for example you can trade such music to have 6 years protection time, but no more than 2x of expanses.

With same attitude, how long would you allow movies to retain copyright?

It depends, 1 or 2 years.

Would it be OK if someone started selling your works after three years, without paying you?

Yes, of course. Law will require him to have proper information promoting you placed on web page, metadata, disk/package and advertisements. Say, at least 30% must be dedicated to you and describing your current, still protected work. Law will also restrict his margin to very low values.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    "I think good idea is to look at local performers and bands. Sometimes it can be cheaper to record it from scratch and may be even modify it according to your video."

Interesting idea, Vitality. Another possibility is to pay somebody to remaster the needed track. The cost can be significantly lower than buying the original track (for commercial license).

I think Vimeo will lose a lot of payed customers with this new policy, I for instance will not pay for a plus account, ever.

• I think Vimeo will lose a lot of payed customers with this new policy, I for instance will not pay for a plus account, ever

I think they won't have too many problems, as introduction of such thing happened mostly because more and more amateur stuff is posted on vimeo and it is full of just plain rips from movies/music/etc. Having auto blocking saves big money for them.

• I think copyright is actually a good thing especially for the artists. The only thing that really needs to be worked out is the copyright duration. I think 10 years is a pretty decent amount of time and if the artist/musician etc is not successful in that amount of time their is a good chance they will never be successful as an artist.

Vimeo's implementation of the copyright restrictions is the key here. If they implement it properly I think it is fair. This is a very polarizing topic and I can see artist's rejoicing at Vimeo's decision. The real problem of course is the fricken lawyers in the U.S. There are more lawyers per capita in the U.S then any other country in the world. Just look at somebody the wrong way and a lawyer will figure out a way to sue you.

As somebody mentioned an attorney probably representing a musician contacted Vimeo and threatened to sue. So this is really why Vimeo probably taking action.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, I normally agree with most of your topics and train of thought on most things, however I disagree with you on this one. Just imagine if you worked on something for about 1 month straight and built something the size of a basketball. The whole time that you spent building that you were thinking that you could sell it and make money on it. Then you build it and somebody takes it without your permission, turns around and copies it, and then proceeds to give it to his friends and family and sell it for a profit.

I also enjoy the bickering back forth so late the flaming begin ;-)