Personal View site logo
Godzilla Trailer
  • 26 Replies sorted by
  • Isn't that the same movie they threw at us last time? I am so sick and tired of disaster movies. I am tired of terrible licensed movies featuring characters that are no longer relevant. And I am really tired of movies featuring giant creatures and robots with a human element.

When I watched the Transformers cartoon I identified with the robots. I didn't care about the humans. When I watched the Smurfs cartoon I didn't care about the humans. When I watched the Underdog cartoon I didn't care about the humans.

So why in the world do I want to see a movie that showcases the very thing I didn't care about in the first place?

• no thanks

• I wouldn't be interested if it wasn't a Gareth "Monsters" Edwards feature.

Going from a movie shot by himself with a Sony Ex3 to a giant apocalyptic blockbuster, insane.

• Um....luv it....or hate it...I will see it.

• This looks like it could be scarier than Emmerich's version :) I like the casting.

Let's see if Edwards can make it through the Hollywood Machine alive and if some of his indie approach will be felt. Man, going from a story made up on the go, directing and DP-ing almost improv, editing in hotel rooms and doing all the VFX from scratch to this!

Yoshimitsu Banno from Toho studio and original Gojira is producing. Might be worth a ticket?

• Didn't they kill Godzilla in the first movie? Or is he like Jason from Friday the 13th...somehow we thought he was dead...but the hand twitches at the end? LOL - I'm out of the loop on this type of stuff, but the way the guys skydived in was pretty cool.

• I'm pretty sure they are ignoring the not very good 1998 version...even if they weren't the ending actually set up for a sequel with baby Godzilla hatching from an egg, but the first movie was so bad it never came.

• Godzilla finally gets the "act of God" presence he's always deserved.

• The ASIA trailer has more "Monster" footage:

• Saw it over the weekend.

Unlike Hollywood's last effort they nailed the concept of Godzilla as a force of nature bringing back the balance and refused to follow the ADD trend most special effects films these days. which was nice.

Shame then that the characters were so bland and we follow these characters for most of the run time.

Cranston's character had development then they ditched this plot line in favour for his son...who was a cardboard cutout with little to do than look like hes having a constipation problem.

There is a great 1/2 hour movie in there. Certainly the first 20 mins and the last 10.

• ^^ agreed. for the most part i enjoyed it, just block out the typical hollywood, father son, getting back home to wife and son storyline. I think they did well in developing godzilla's character =)

• As usual, the movie's made so they can have epic trailer quotes and cuts. I was bored out of my mind, seeing Edwards doing his second rate Speilberg impressions.

• @Oscillian Yeah he was trying to channel classic Berg. Then again the Berg is a second rate Berg impressionist these days!

• The problem with the "it's a slow burn just like Jaws and Close Encounters!" argument I'm hearing in favor of Godzilla, is that those movies have great characters. This one doesn't.

• The problem with the "it's a slow burn just like Jaws and Close Encounters!" argument I'm hearing in favor of Godzilla, is that those movies have great characters. This one doesn't.

Exactly. They kill off the only interesting character in the whole film. Olsen end up being just as wasted as Cranston. Jaws is the film everyone attempts to copy but they never get why it was so successful. It's way less about the shark itself and more because of all the other characters and how well written the film is. They're why you care what the shark is doing. It's a monster movie that doesn't have to be graded on a curve. It's a film with a monster but film first.

• The most important scene that didn't make it into the final cut:

Godzilla, tired of Microsoft's product placement strategy: Where nobody in reality uses Surface tablets, yet appear in every TV show on earth, stomps on the MS Surface tablet factory with BOTH feet, at least ten times!

• @racer5 @BurneRhodes spot on with the problem with the film. I had the same issue with Monsters also. Maybe its Edwards "thing" :-D

You get those who also argue that "ahh well Godzilla isnt about the human characters"... however most of the original Japanese films were brimming with entertaining cheese and a shorter runtime (some being only just over 80 minutes) that it was never a problem. Here Edwards wanted to add more human element into the story and failed to engage.

• 13 Big Questions Left Unanswered By ‘Godzilla’

To be clear, this isn’t where I ask why the film repeatedly cut away from the massive monster destruction happening in Honolulu and Las Vegas just to follow the lame human stories. Or why the Brody family was conveniently located at the center of each and every monster attack. Or how Godzilla, a 300 foot-tall monster, manages to sneak up on anyone. Or why a certain character billed as a lead– well, let’s get to the actual unanswered questions about Godzilla. Spoilers below obviously..

Read more at Film School Rejects: http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/big-questions-left-unanswered-godzilla.php#ixzz32PENryY3

• Even at the scale of the '98 film, the speed of movement was a real issue and something that had to be dealt with on a scene by scene basis. The BHS look at the creatures and mechs in Pacific Rim shows the same sort of problem.

At full clip, the '98 Godzilla is moving roughly 300MPH at his fastest, if memory serves, making the taxi chase ridiculous that it wasn't just "over" at the beginning. Speed had to constantly be cheated both to achieve the drama necessary for the scene but also so that what you saw looked like what the audience might expect.

The scale of the action in Pacific Rim and this Godzilla meant even fairly normal movement, if proportional to a man scaled up, meant a constant state of sonic booms all over, so they stepped it down a notch to not (or rarely) achieve super-sonic speeds. The thing is, I wonder what that would be like. Generating thunder as they fought, not just from stomping around but swings and other movement through the air. A giant robot swings its fist and leaves contrails is a pretty cool image if you ask me and I wonder if we'll see what "real" would look and sound like some day. The only reason to not do it is if it's not as "cool" as one might imagine.

• Did Dinosaurs Break the Sound Barrier?

At least 150 million years before Mr. Yeager in 1947 became the first human to break the sound barrier in a rocket plane, the largest dinosaurs, a group known as sauropods, could have mustered the right stuff to send sonic booms resounding over the Mesozoic landscape. No, the 100-ton creatures never got off the ground. All they would have had to do was flick their long tails like a bullwhip.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/02/science/did-dinosaurs-break-the-sound-barrier.html

GODZILLA: Sneak Peak of the VFX Breakdown by MPC

June 5th, The VFX of Godzilla, MPC Vancouver

With respect for the Toho Co. Ltd.’s original “man in a suit” version, Godzilla was animated as a fluid living and breathing creature with the addition of humanistic elements to capture his attitude and personality. MPC’s artists used a mixture of body language and carefully designed facial expressions, which allowed them to translate emotions and expressions on screen, without breaking the believability of the creature. MPC’s animation team utilized a variety of references, including the movement of bears and reptiles, as a basis for the keyframe animation that gave Godzilla movement. .

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-vfx-of-godzilla-tickets-11719985793