Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • @AdamT I did a quick comparison between 96fps and 1080/60 with time stretch and did not get really smooth motion using time stretch. Did you do anything in AE to get it smoother?

• You might want to use twixtor. The subject matter being so fast (not the movement of the targets, but the bullets and sparks) is going to be hard for any interpolation though.

• I'm looking to use an external recorder with my GH4 to capture 10bit 1080p. As long as I have 10bit HDMI out selected, presumably it doesn't matter what capture format I have selected on the camera?

• @SuperSet turn on Layer>Frame Blending>Pixel Motion. Not as good as Twixtor but it should help.

• @AdamT Thanks, man. Just tried it again with Pixel Motion and it didn't really make that much of a difference. I think the in camera 96fps is still the way to go.

• Here is a comparison that I made of GH4 UHD with/without a Tiffen Black Pro Mist filter. Thoughts?

http://tinypic.com/r/5kppgy/8

GH4ProMistTestSm.jpg
    3840 x 4320 - 2M
  • @aaronchicago fantastic, i was wondering about that filter with 4k, thanks for the comparison. i think i'll pick one up now. the filter seems to take a very slight edge off the image that is great for close up interviews.

i was debating between this and the 1/8, but from your pic the effect is very subtle with the 1/4, so the effect of a 1/8 might be imperceptible. what do you think?

• @seakingheartwood I would go with 1/4. 1/8 is so subtle its hard to notice.

• Video I shot in Toronto. used the 14-140mm and the 20mm lumix 1.7

• My just arrived GH4 has a continuous squeal in all the audio recorded with the internal mic that sometimes sounds like the whistle of a boiling teapot in the distance. The whistling teapot like sound occurs after recording for a half minute or so and changes in pitch. I am using the 14-140 lens from my GH2 and I never had this issue on the GH2. It seems to occur in all settings I have tried so far, in A, P ,S ,M modes.

I have a Rode shoe mounted microphone and when I use it the squeal disappears. I tested for the squeal with the camera stationary and the lens cap on, with internal mic (present), with external Rode mic on (none), with external Rode mic plugged in but turned off (none). I tried this test with OIS on and auto-focus on and with OIS off and auto-focus off. There was no difference. In these 25 second tests I did not get the varying high pitched squeal, but I did get the constant squeal that was lower pitched, not exactly white noise like, but perhaps like a jet in the far distance.

I am thinking I need to exchange the GH4 quickly before the exchange period expires, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced this and can offer any advice. Going thru the exchange process just to get another GH4 that does this wouldn't be ideal. Has anyone experienced similar issues or have useful advice on this?

• I am thinking I need to exchange the GH4 quickly before the exchange period expires, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced this and can offer any advice. Going thru the exchange process just to get another GH4 that does this wouldn't be ideal. Has anyone experienced similar issues or have useful advice on this?

No. Go to service center. And this have this for such - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10349/gh4-issues-topic#Item_27

• Short film we just shot with the GH4. Feel free to let me know any feedback and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Password is eek2014

• Hi guys! suggestions for post production workflow? best settings on premiere? thanks!

• As I stated before, GH4 has about 11 stops of usable DR in 4K:

"Dynamic Range

Panasonic has you covered from a color grading and DR standpoint. The Cinelike D color mode is designed to be a flat color profile, and should help you get the most out of each frame. With this color mode selected, we ran our typical dynamic range test. We were able to eke out around 10.5 to 11 stops from the GH4 at base ISO. Furthermore, that was a number that didn't waver much even at higher sensitivities (the video ISO scale stops at ISO 6400). In HD, we found that you could get a little bit more DR from the GH4. We ran this test with the 200 Mbps ALL-i video, so it's understandable that you might see a little bit less clipping, but not enough useful range to make it worth the tradeoff in resolution."

http://camcorders.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh4-video-shooting-review

There is no need to effectively destroy the files with master pedestal, contrast dialed to minimum etc. You just simply use the Cine D setting to get that wonderful DR. To get the best results form GH4, you not to search for maximum DR always, but to search for the needed contrast in you scene. If you do this with care, GH4 is quite good at high ISO. I calculated about roughly 1 stops worse High ISO performance than 1Dc in 4K, until ISO 6400, but Gh4 is so much more detailed in comparison. 1Dc looks like a 3K camera when compared, even in good light. Also Canon 1Dc has a lower DR in good light compared to GH4, but nobody ever complained about it.

It is like syndrome, the first thing most of the users do, is dial minimum contrast, play with curves, etc and completely destroy the files. This is wrong, so don't blame the camera is you get bad results. Cine D setting is a flat profile, but it is no LOG, so this camera must be treated differently. And there is the another thing, when you shoot flat and grade, in 8 bit there will always be artifacts and banding. For this type of work you must use an external recorder with 10 bits.

Best regards, I hope I was helpful and not offended anybody.

• great review thanks for link i never knew about the shutter angle setting.

• Shot this music video with the GH4. In the editing process right now. Decided to go with Cinelike V, and Master Pedestal to 15.

BDR.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 632K
  • @aaronchicago great screen grab, would you mind explaining a little why you choose those settings?