Personal View site logo
GH4 issues with monitors
  • Is anyone else getting half a second lag on external monitor via HDMI when in 24hz?

I am using the Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI

I don't get any lag in PAL or NTSC.

• 50 Replies sorted by
  • I can't even get a signal in 24hz on my SmallHD monitor.

• I have a Lilliput 669HB external monitor. When I have my GH4 outputting 4K(UHD)/23.98 or 2K/23.98, nothing appears on the monitor. I do get video as soon as I change it to 29.97 or 59.94 . Has anyone else tried connecting a Lilliput to this and are you getting the same issue?

I had no problems when I used it with my GH2 so I'm not quite sure what difference is...

• My SmallHD DP4 has no problem at all in 24hz.

• Ah it appears that with GH2, it never outputted true 23.98 and in fact, it was outputting 60i. Which would explain why my Lilliput displayed it ok.

So back to the original problem with GH4... I'm guessing that the Lilliput does not accept 23.98Hz (nor 24Hz) signal...

• I have the same issue with my Lilliput 668GL; 24KHz does not work. i just got a MustHD M701 and It works great. But there MAY be a workaround. No promises. I'll get back to you to let you know if it works.

• Saw this on another forum - May be useful here.

BUG!

I can confirm that the GH4 is outputting incorrect framerates at the HDMI port in relation to those it's recording. 1080p25 is outputting 1080p50 1080p30 is outputting 1080p60

1080p24 is outputting CORRECTLY at 1080p24

Plugged the GH4 directly in to my TV (1080p) and it tells me what it's receiving (1080p60) when the camera is recording 1080p30

• I'm not sure how many external monitors out there support true 24Hz. I would just like to add that I have a 7" Aputure VS-3 and that one supports both 23.98 and 24.

• I think we're missing the point of my I started this thread.

The Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI supports 24hz but it has a lag. I'd like to understand why.

• chickenpusher: No clue... other than the monitor doesn't handle 24 properly? Have you contacted Marshall to confirm this?

• I have contacted Marshall and I'm still awaiting reply.

• With previous GH cameras is was not usually issue with monitor not being able to work in specific mode, it was wrong EDID in monitor. Camera check EDID before setting mode, if mode is not present in monitor EDID it just does not work.

• The thing is, when I connect the V-LCD50-HDMI to the GH4 in C4K 24Hz mode it comes up on the monitor with a message saying 24Hz. So it is detecting the signal.

Could it be the cable introducing the lag? Has anyone ever experienced cable problems like this?

• @chickenpusher A quick way to test that is to hook up your camera + cable to your TV (assuming it can do 1080p24) and see what happens

• Good idea. I was going to try hooking it up to the TV Logic monitors we have at my studio this weekend.

• I finally got a reply from the Marshall customer support people. They couldn't really offer me anything new in terms of info but strengthened my knowledge that this monitor does take a 24Hz signal as I already said.

I did some further testing myself and it seems that even the TVLogic monitors lag when the camera is set to 24hz. I now have a very strong feeling that this is a firmware bug which in some ways is a good thing because Panasonic can fix it.

• @chickenpusher I can confirm that I also have maybe a half-second delay when I connect directly to my TV. However, when I hook it up to my external monitor (Aputure VS-3), the output is exactly the same as shown on the GH4 display. So it is not happening on all devices. Possibly there is some wrong timing information being passed between the two devices during the handshake. I also feel that this may be a bug

• According the 24Hz support of the Lilliput screens: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/supported-hdmi-modes

Just the newer models (663, 664, 665, 969 and 5D-ll) are compatible.

• I just got a Newmap 7" Monitor today and was dismayed to find it doesn't play nice with my GH4 at any frame-rate other than 30p or 60p/i. What's bizarre is that it plays back footage I've shot at 23.98 just fine, but when I switch back to shooting mode the screen goes black. After reading this thread I figured maybe the monitor doesn't support 24Hz, but I plugged in a GH3 just to compare and it displayed properly on all frame-rates! I'm really happy with this monitor in all respects, and wonder if the fault could be on the GH4 side.

• @SGPvideo I think the GH3 is similar to the GH2 when it comes to outputting video over HDMI. According to some sites I'm reading, it only outputs 60i (like GH2) so most ext monitors are fine with that signal. GH4 on the other hand outputs true 23.98 and 24.

• That's what I'm beginning to understand the more I read about it. Strange though that the monitor plays back footage I've shot in 24p on the GH4 just fine.

• That's so weird. The V-LCD50-HDMI shows all signals fine. The 24Hz is a little delayed on all monitors I've tried, but not unusable.

However, I cannot get any to playback through the monitor. Seems as tho though when the monitor is connected I don't have any option to play the clip.

• I have a 7" NEWAY CL76HO-X and a rather elderly Lilliput for on-camera monitoring. I'm getting a signal on both from my GH4, but as soon as I hit record, the camera lcd blacks out and a revolving hour glass appears, with the message 'please wait' - this happens on both monitors, and I have to power down to stop the hour glass message. Viera link is off, I'm set to 2d not 3d, hdmi output is set to 8bit, and 4k downconvert is off. Anybody experiencing the same? Trying to monitor 1080 25p 200mbs mode. Thanks.

edit - same thing when I connect to an HD flatscreen, which recognises the hdmi output as 1080 50p. I would understand if a monitor was out of range, but locking up the camera is strange, no?

• @mrbill Try turning 4k downconvert on.

• @kupchenko - sorry, but in all three modes - auto, 1080p and off, the camera hangs as soon as you press record

• Relief - I set the camera to some avchd modes, and went back to .mov, 200mbs, and the camera and monitor now play together. Seems to have cleared it's throat. HDMI output settings are 8bit, info display on, and 1080p for 4k downconvert..