Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • How does focus tracking in video on the GH4 compare to the Canon 70D (with it's excellent Dual Pixel AF sensor)? I want to mount it on a 3 axis gimbal where I won't have the ability to pull focus myself.

• @imcch I also encountered a problem while recording at 96fps. For me the screen froze on what I was recording and the aperture reading on the display kept flicking between 2.8 and 0. The camera was also making a strange ticking sound. Powering off didn't do anything (still ticking and frozen). Pulling out the battery fixed the problem. I've recorded at 96fps since and it has been fine. I'm using the new Kingston speed class 3 64GB sdxc

• Sorry this has taken a while. This is what happens when using the ninja blade with the gh4.

Sometimes when changing the frequency of the camera the blade freaks out when it losses signal and the screen does a weird wipe but remains on. To fix this I have to force shut the bad down to get it to read the signal again. So far this has happened about 40-50% of the time.

Here was something else I ran into. While recording the 96fps internally then playing it back...on playback the blade sees the footage as 720p instead of 1080p 24fps...so trying to record the slow motion to the blade ends up as 720p 60fps. Comparing the footage on a timeline in Premier Pro CS6 the internal recordings seem to be just upressed 720p compared to the recordings on the blade if in fact the camera is outputting 720p via HDMI when playing back 1080p 24fps. Can anyone comment on that? I'll be doing more tests soon and will have something uploaded on this.

Here is the list of recording formats and qualities that show up on the blade:

Frequency: 24.0hz

Format: MP4(LPCM) Quality: C4K 100mbits 24p - works 4k 100mbits 24p - works FHD ALL-I 200mbits 24p - works FHD 100mbits 24p - works FHD 50mbits 24p - works

Format: MOV Quality: C4K 100mbits 24p - works 4k 100mbits 24p - works FHD ALL-I 200mbits 24p - works FHD 100mbits 24p - works FHD 50mbits 24p - works

Frequency: 59.94hz

Format: AVCHD Quality: FHD 24mbits 24p - works FHD 24mbits 30p - works FHD 17mbits 60i - works FHD 28mbits 60p - doesn't work

Format: MP4 Quality: 4k 100mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 28mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 20mbits 30p - doesn't work HD 10mbits 30p - works @720p 59.94fps

Format: MP4 (LPCM) Quality: 4k 100mbits 30p - doesn't work 4k 100mbits 24p - works FHD ALL-I 200mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD 100mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD 50mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD ALL-I 200mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 100mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 50mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD ALL-I 200mbits 24p - works FHD 100mbits 24p - works FHD 50mbits 24p - works

Format: MOV Quality: 4k 100mbits 30p - doesn't work 4k 100mbits 24p - works FHD ALL-I 200mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD 100mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD 50mbits 60p - doesn't work FHD ALL-I 200mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 100mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD 50mbits 30p - doesn't work FHD ALL-I 200mbits 24p - works FHD 100mbits 24p - works FHD 50mbits 24p - works

This was all with TV connection VIERA Link set to ON and OFF. HDMI Rec Output set to auto.

• interesting, might add to peoples theory, including myself, that think 96fps looks like upres'd 720. It just might be so.

• Figured I submit my findings after running a quick test with the GH4 up in the mountains of New Mexico. This is preliminary since I've had the camera for only a few days. I also have a Sony FDR-AX100 (4K cam) for comparison as well as a 65" 4K TV for review and editing of material.

PROS: Overall the GH4 is excellent. We bitched (rightfully so) and Panasonic listened. Manual focusing in 4K seems much more advantageous then auto focus regardless of how quick or recent your lens is. 1080P seems better suited for auto focusing. The AX100 footage looks quite a bit sharper than most GH4 footage but this may be due to sharpening algorithms within the Sony camera. So much so that harsh contrasts on the AX100 exhibits a white outline or shadow of subjects at times, the GH4 on the other hand does not. Again manual focusing and using the peaking functions on the GH4 will be your friend. The codecs are vastly improved. Shooting in Cinema 4K with the Cinema D profile is probably what most people will use due to its latitude in grading. No more harsh gradients even when aiming the lens at the sun; that beautiful blue sky will remain as long as your keeping your contrast in check. This is where the zebras come in and are extremely helpful for controlling your highlights. If you take some time to prepare and use the on board utilities, this camera may very well teach you to become a better photographer/videographer. Finally controlling the GH4 is manageable due to customization of mapping the functions buttons, as well as default quick menu access.

CONS: 96fps slow motion may very well be upconverted 720P even though it's advertised as 1080P. If so that's not a major downer but it would be nice if this was expressed by Panasonic. Hate to admit it but the AX100 looks a little bit sharper to my eye when viewing slo-mo content and it shoots in 720P as well, but at 120fps. Also audio isn't recorded when using variable frame rate shooting while the AX100 does record audio and time stretches it (pitch doesn't change). As mentioned above the auto focus in 4K is sub par - while viewing the results on a 4K television the GH4 looked acceptable but soft. If you didn't know any better you'd think you're watching 1080P material. Of course this all changed when using focus peaking along with manual focusing of the lens. Perhaps this will be improved in further revisions of the firmware or my Pany 14-140mm lens is a bit outdated when using automatically. On the other hand the Zeiss lens of the Sony AX100 has a quick auto focus in both 1080P and 4K. Despite these advantages the GH4 offers so many more professional options that it outshines the Sony in many respects.

They're both excellent cameras and have their purposes but ultimately I prefer the Panasonic based on its potential and robust codecs.

• High speed (running) motion on GH4 4K UHD

I'm seeing a lot of mushiness. YT bitrates too low? Video is quite soft too.. might be better to raise the sharpness.

Some info about the video: 1. Apparently I have a dirty lens 2. Initial shots are shaky. I was playing around with low-mode on my rig and it's not balanced properly for that 3. Framing not great in running motion. Apparently GH4 changed the HDMI connector (I come from a GH2) and as a result I could not hook up my external monitor. Couldn't see what I was shooting... so I just pointed my lens and hoped for the best.

Ungraded CINE-D Contrast -5 Sharpness -5 Saturation -5 Highlight/Shadow - 0/0

• It was a delicious pizza!

I've more tests and photos on my website (in french): http://www.5mars.com/category/sicile-en-gh4/

• Here is the Vimeo version of my 4K GH4 Bee clip. The Original .MOV file (3840x2160 / 103MB is available for download.

• @marshalljeske

It might have been the same glitch for me given that I was using a manual aperture lens. I had the Panasonic U3 SD card in. Hope Panasonic looks into this and possibly fix it in the next firmware update. Haven't had the chance to test it out more and replicate the glitch though

• @killagram someone on dpreview reported that he was having focusing problems with the 14-140 MkII on the GH4, but no problem with other lenses. He was getting soft still photos at wider focal lengths. I wonder if there may be a firmware issue with that lens? AF seems quite fine to me using the 12-35.

• @AdamT thanks for reporting that, do you have the link? Glad that it's working on your 12-35; I still have to run a few 4K tests on other lenses. Like you I noticed my Pany 20mm pancake looked incredible with AF but not so much w/the 14-140. I typically prefer manually focusing but if there's multiple subjects AF can be a lifesaver.

• @imcch interesting that we were both using the panasonic U3 card. I'll let you know if I experience the glitch again

• @5mars enjoying your blog, nice work!

• So...if I can fit the BMCC metabones on the GH4, will that give me a crop of 1.28 ??????? Plus 1 1/3 stop??

Can anyone confirm?

• @marshalljeske I've also seen the same bug, using the Transcend 128GB U3.

• Got mine today at last :D,

I have a problem with the 20mm 1.7 v1 lens doing a lot of focusing with continuous AF turned off and even set to MF at times, especially when moving the camera. My guess its a bug as no other lens I have does this. Firmware on lens 1.1 anyone can confirm. Excessive noise and focusing.

I like it a lot so far, it does cry out for fast glass in order to perform its best. A speed booster will not be wasted in this camera.

Using Transcends 64GB U3 95MB/r 60MB/w cards all well and good no problems so far in funky behavior. More testing will let me know.

The Rolling shutter in 4k is pretty bad, reminds me of what a 40D with video hack showed or 5D II. The RS on 1080p is the best I have seen besides a global shutter. Wonder how hard is 4k to read of the full sensor crop in order to compromise speed.

Right off the bat I changed ISOs to 1/3rd increments but saddened that cant get past 6400. If a hack ever becomes available it will be something to free, including ISO 100 and the in betweens up to 200.

Slow mo softness is not ideal and it lacks AF, wonder if that is because of the readout speed. Will do some tests with 720p and up-res it to see if slow mo mode is just glorified 720p at best, I think it is but with some line skipping. Will use it in certain situations.

Will also test the noise levels on EX mode at 1080p, so far it seems a very big improvement over the GH2.

Love the silent mode, but be aware that it wont work with shutter speeds above 1sec.

Using the regular battery and the Wasabi 2x battery kit from amazon. The wasabi batts work great and one lasted almost the whole day of playing with the cam. I am now testing the Stock battery to see how much different they are. One thing I did notice was that the Wasabi battery went from 1 line to zero in 2min after reaching the last line, could be something to plan for. If I see the same behavior with the Panasonic battery then it is normal.

Wish the LCD screen occupied the entire frame, the space wasted on the left seems a compromise. I like the VF and the screen visibility outside a lot.

• How to set up yr GH4….

• Crop factor test shoot on GH4

• Nobody complains about something that I find it unfortunate (and frankly it's almost the only ...) but the location of the audio jack prevents turning the screen ...

• @gabilourson

Yeah not ideal placement however, you can still turn the screen with Headphones plugged in by doing it half way on the move then avoid the connector. Half rotate before full screen rotation extension.

Also you can buy an L type jack connector to force it closer to the body to make it easier.

3.5mmRightAngleConn.jpg
    400 x 266 - 18K
  • Just a heads up on Monitoring:

Most PC monitors and TVs will not be able to monitor from the HDMI in 24p modes. Even in non 24hz mode. It will say out of range or turn to 60hz.

You can still monitor in 30p modes just fine. Seems the 24p modes are not displayed with a 60i wrapper and are true solid frames which only a good monitor and viewfinder can handle.

Wish it was able to monitor in 24p on anything. Playback will work just fine. Wonder if thru the AV cable route it will display even in 24p rec modes.

I am liking the noise on this camera, a big step from the GH2, very clean up to 1600 compared.