Personal View site logo
First paid work with G6, Criticism needed!
  • Hello, here is my first paid job, the client was very happy about the result but for me the pay/time ratio was a bit discouraging. On another note it was very interesting to have deadlines and gauge my work vs client expectations! I asked 300€ and as I'm doing this legally I will pay 26% tax on that, so that's 220€ (305$) in my pocket, not too bad. I had to be there for 4 different events.

So here is the video, I would be very grateful if you guys could offer criticism and advice!

What I learned about my gear & stuff :

-A monopod would have been more practical than a tripod, I shoot too much handheld and had to stabilize in post.

-A fast 35mm or fast standard Zoom would have been very practical!

-Doing interviews is critical to shape the edit for this kind ok work. The client did not want interviews but that's something I'll try to push for next projects.

-Plan a finite number of revisions on the invoice, like 3 revisions, and make the next ones payable. This client was Ok but I feel like others could ask shit & endless modifications.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • First off, you gotta charge a more reasonable rate. 300 is very, very little considering time and expenses involved. I realize you may have accepted it just to get the gig, however, you gotta push for more or weigh very carefully if you can showcase the work afterwards. (in my experience, any work for showcasing has to be impressive as hell for it to be of any use, which also requires very good working conditions overall apart from your best work input)

Yes, a monopod or rig would help tremendously with the handheld stuff, but more importantly I think you could have edited this down more, even more so if you had a few interviews with key people that could make vocal what the events are all about. I'm assuming this is a kind of promotion video rather than simply a documentation so in this sense it would be good to think about the interviews for driving the story (what you and the client want to convey) and have pictures for the viewer of the video to get connected with- and rest in that situation. Basically, that is the key - if you have a clear plan what to tell through the video, you can also shoot and edit accordingly.

In general, stay off assignments by others to do something because it may have promotional value to yourself. If you want to promote yourself, think about what kind of work you want to make and find such a customer / sell your vision. That way you will be in control of the project / end product.

• Thanks for the advice! I felt right away when started editing the project that interviews would be lacking. I will do interviews test setups in my next personal projects to work on this subject, get to know how to use audio gear, lights and how to direct people in an interesting way...

Since this was my first time working for I client, I don't feel bad about such low pay (video work was only a hobby for now, and will probably stay one, but buying gear with the earnings is very nice!).

How much should I ask for such a project, considering I had about 5 hours of shooting (1h30 of footage) and about 10h of editing?

• I'd say 50 an hour would be reasonable.. When you are learning you can go a bit optimistic with the calculated working hours (and put in extra hours to make the work as good as you want it), but make the rate reasonable to start with or you will make it difficult to charge later on.

I don't think it's bad for a first job, you only need to keep at it to improve.

For customers who don't want interviews like this you can just say it will not be used in a classic interview setting but you need it for the video topics..

Also, for really quick work it's good to learn how to use existing light to create an interesting interview setting.

• First of all, I'd say congratulations on landing your first paid gig. That's a triumph right there and what you creating turned out pretty good. Hopefully this is just the first step to you getting more paid work.

I would agree that $300 seems a little low but at the same time, being paid something is better than nothing and more clients means more networking opportunities (as long as you keep them happy). Consider charging more but if you can get by with making a little, do what you have to do to keep building your credibility.

As for the video, it seems a little long and like more could be cut out. I got bored pretty quick and interviews would have definitely helped carry the story.

Also the lower third graphics are a little bland and look amateur. I'd say go for something cleaner and more simple or something really stylized. In between is just kind of blah.

Some of the shots were really cool and looked great, others were a little bland. Cutting out the boring shots would have helped shorten the piece but also given a better overall impression.

• Also, not sure if this was mentioned yet, but during interviews, you don't have to keep it on the subject, cut in some footage over what they're saying. Also, sorry if you did do this, 6 minutes of a language I do not understand is too much to handle ;)