Personal View site logo
RJ Lens Turbo m43 adapters
  • 782 Replies sorted by
  • I've got a lot more testing to do in order to know for sure, but with my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and RJ Speed Booster on my GH1 I haven't had any issues yet with Blue Dots. I haven't really done a lot of different shots yet tho. Mostly indoor shoots. Mine is a Nikon to m4/3.

• @red_pill

no, you probably have 1st generation

• @kin869 with mine the blue dot it's not so elusive, I get it everytime I shoot outdoor and it disappears only when aperture is wide open. I guess maybe it's my adapter which is defective?

• I have the EF version, mine fits like a glove on the pocket, like my m43 lenses.

• @kin869 I have the M42 version, should have said that. Would be curious to hear from others who have the same version, and their success or failure with the BM Pocket.

• @Tone13 The blue dot is kind of an elusive problem. I personally have seen it in my Lens Turbo, but it's not as drastic as my SLR 12mm or my old Canon FD lenses.

@cantsin I have the EF version and it fits fine on both my BMPCC and GH2.

@brianl Cheesycam had issues with Mitakon's version, not RJ's.

• @cantsinI believe cheesycam made the same declaration. Emphatically. Some people don't have the problem, others do. Is it the RJ or the cameras?

• On the Blackmagic Pocket, my copy of the RJ Lens Turbo fits the mount but has a too tight fit to be clicked/screwed in; on the GH2, it's very tight but can still be screwed/clicked in and out with some use of force; on the GH1, it's an easy fit. Since this is my second copy of the RJ which shows these issues, they seem to be systematic rather than coincidental.

Have other people experienced the same problems? Is there an easy fix (aside from returning the adapter)?

• does the adapter gives distortions/vignetting with the tokina 11-16 on a gh2?

• @dishe,

That recent test you posted looks pretty good. I thought you would see the blue spot in a few of those very bright shots but nothing!

Has the blue spot issue largely been fixed now?

• Is MFT using better optics than the E mount adapter? I ask because I have the E mount adapter and its miserable.

• If anyone has more of some sample footage, pictures, real life tests, then i'd be happy if you would share links or files..would make my decision easier...this or the 3 times more expensive metabones..[/QUOTE]

@marx92 here's a recent test :

@Qadri

I have the FD 35-105 with RJ Turbo and a G6. I think it's fine for indoor video up to ISO 1600. For stills, not that much.

I have that lens and a G6 as well. To be honest, I heard great things about this zoom when I bought it, but I've never really been all that impressed with it in practice. Its a super versatile range, and it looks really professional on a tiny camera body, but I wouldn't buy another one if anything happens to this one. If only I could afford that lumix zoom at f/2.8... I thought maybe a lens turbo would make it more attractive, gaining a stop of light and everything, but from what I've seen so far (just picked one up myself), I'm still not loving it. :/

• @Qadri

With such question use proper topic or PM.

• @oscillian -you're shooting video at 1600 ISO?? I have been told to avoid going over ISO 400 as causes noise and reduces dynamic range? I've never tried it, or risked it as I should say. If it does not impact quality then I guess I could make a lot of use out of that lens. Please can you elaborate further?

• @Qadri

I have the FD 35-105 with RJ Turbo and a G6. I think it's fine for indoor video up to ISO 1600. For stills, not that much.

• If I won't see much improvement with a speed booster on the 35-105 then I'll put that money towards perhaps a more modern brighter (prime) lens.

I am not sure that adapter will make it ultra sharp. Only some of old zooms are sharp.

• I'm thinking of getting the FD to M43 RJ speed booster. Has anyone used one on a Canon 35-105mm f3.5 (constant aperture)?

I'm hoping that the extra stop of light will make it more usable indoors. So far my results at 3.5 have been poor, image is dark and not very sharp.

If I won't see much improvement with a speed booster on the 35-105 then I'll put that money towards perhaps a more modern brighter (prime) lens.

For use on Panasonic G6. Thanks.

• I just noticed that the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is working very well with the RJ Speed Booster and I didn't even notice that the lens is Parfocal and remains so with the adapter. This is a very good combination for my GH1. I stop down just a touch and this lens is sharp enough for my needs and still bright enough indoors. Still very useable wide open.

• If anyone has more of some sample footage, pictures, real life tests, then i'd be happy if you would share links or files..would make my decision easier...this or the 3 times more expensive metabones..

• @bobdrenth, the aperture has an extremely short throw. IMO there's no way to accurately make adjustments with it. You have to be very gentle with the adjustment since the entire range is 3/4 of an inch. However it doesn't move in my experience.

The entire RJ adapter is solidly made and fits tightly with no movement or jiggle. There are some notches that you could use as a guide visually but the aperture adjustment is smooth with no stops, which actually is a good thing. I only use the aperture to stop down about 1 stop anyway. I'd use ND for anything more.

The beauty of the Tamron 17-50 is that it's pretty good wide open and just one stop down at 17mm it's as sharp as it can get. Throughout the range of the zoom you're best results are at f4-5.6, so you really get a nice advantage from the RJ speed booster in that it's giving that stop brighter image. So you get a lens that is f2.8-4 when set at f4-5.6, roughly. On my GH1 the lens is excellently good wide angle at 17mm. I'm very happy with this purchase.

• @Aria, How is the aperture control on the 17-50 doing? If I read correctly it's built in, but how is it performing in real world use? not slipping or getting stuck or anything nasty like that?

• @Renovatio, I don't see much of a need for IBIS at these wide angles on the 17-50mm which as you point out is pretty wide on the GH1. I'm probably gonna use a small Steadicam anyway. I don't mind the size of the 17-50mm on the GH1. It's a little big, but not unwieldy. This is an underrated Lens IMO. The Speedbooster really makes it a great tool. It covers most of my needs and I can use it with a future GH4 down the line.

• @Aria You have a 22.5-66mm F2.0 on your Multi aspect sensor, GH1! Sounds great but the lack of ibis and better iso performance on Nikon bodies, make me think i will stay on Nikon, maybe with tamron vc version, although I have ordered an rj adapter.

I though to use with Olympus, but Olympus firmware simply sucks.

Anyway great toy, really! How does it look? Is the tamron huge if you watch gh1? :D

• @Renovatio, I just got my adapter Nikon G in the mail today and used it on a job. It was great. Nice and snug fit on my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 on my GH1!!! The extra speed was welcome and it was nice and sharp, since I was able to stop down just a touch and hit the sweet spot of the lens. I'm VERY HAPPY with this buy. Wish there was such a thing possible for my Canon 50D with ML RAW.

• Lately i see a lot of lenses for it on ebay, lets hope RJ will do this if you can mention this to him. I'll buy one instantly.