Personal View site logo
Black Magic URSA - first modular camera, now from $4995
  • 146 Replies sorted by
  • So the pocket version of this cam will be Ursa Minor.

• @jleo haha, good one.

• I doubt the Alexa or the F65 will be passed over in favor of this in hollywood..

Instead, this will be an upgrade for everybody that currently has a blackmagic camera, so I guess you can tack on whatever difference from buying/selling your current BlackMagic camera to the price tag

• Nobody in their right mind, if they're truly Alexa or F65 level customers, would have this on their radar, except as an option to own rather than rent. But there's an ocean of folks who couldn't possibly even rent an Alexa much less buy one who might take notice. Arri has nothing to worry about on any level. Sony's lower end pro line, however, it's likely to feel it. Same with Canon and everything lower than the C500. And the Scarlet customer.

• Nobody in their right mind, if they're truly Alexa or F65 level customers, would have this on their radar, except as an option to own rather than rent.

May be, or may be not. People are different and most professionals just look at this as tool and ability to save money.

Plus we have absolutely no idea about sensor modules that can be released.

• The sensor modules are a big question mark. I'm more excited by the platform as a design whole than I am this implementation specifically because of the current BMPC sensor module. They could very well release a killer new sensor module. Given that they're marketing the HDMI version for use with other cameras, what's preventing someone else from doing their own sensor module designed to interface directly with the URSA?

• This camera is so big and the LCD also so big and fullhd (i liked this idea of big flip lcd), everything so big that the internal space could be used to implement a quad core i7 computer inside with 32gb ram and ssd drives to turn this beast into a editing station, with wifi, nfc, SIM mobile card to allow internet connections and do direct uploads, emails social networking and so on... LOL... a complete Tele News station on the road. you just put yourself with a green or blue screen behind to do the News presentation and intercut with the street interviews and images... or edit the narratives and deliver to the theaters wherever you are. a small mouse and small keyboard could be spit out in a touch of a button. I remember the old panasonic PK959 VHS camera with a caractheres generator with a flip out keyboard at the side.

pk959.jpg
    225 x 225 - 4K
    PK-959withdooropened.jpg
    1023 x 732 - 167K
  • Everything so big that the internal space could be used to implement a quad core i7 computer inside with 32gb ram and ssd drives to turn this beast into a editing station, with wifi, nfc, SIM mobile card to allow internet connections and do direct uploads, emails social networking and so on

Most probably it is not so. But we will have such cameras quite soon.

• this camera has one big LSI an the rest is mostly FPGA chips from its recorders. bastards too,heavy

• I recently read it weighs less than an Alexa Plus and dimensions are apparently slightly smaller too. DSLRs require weight to be added for no other reason than because they're too light and this translates to cheap looking handheld and shoulder mounted footage unless movement is modulated in this way.

• this camera has one big LSI an the rest is mostly FPGA chips from its recorders.

Where do you get this?

• @BurnetRhoades

Main thing is that it looks pro for any client :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev unfortunately, this is sometimes an issue. I've had a producer tell me they wouldn't allow me to shoot a project with my GH2 no matter how good the picture was because of how it would look to investors and in behind-the-scenes pictures and, in their mind, influence the potential value for sale.

Once covered up in rigging my point to him was it could be anything in there but he wasn't even going to discuss it.

• Perception may not even be important to producers, it's when they have to explain "it makes great pictures, though" to the people paying. Nobody wants to spend time constantly reminding or reassuring said money folk that it'll be okay.

They look at a big camera and just assume it costs a lot of money, thus it should make nice pictures. And, now, everyone's shooting with REDs, it's almost like there's no excuse in the mind of the dollar dealer: we paid for this, why aren't you using a big camera like my competitor?

• @kholi

Btw it is good potential market. I am thinking about manufacturing "Red cage" consisting of two parts, so you can put your small camera inside and for any outsider it'll look at big camera with lots of connectors and such :-)

• Hahaha yeah we were kicking that idea around for a long time at the top of the DSLR days. I mean TECHNICALLY that's what the HDMI module for Ursa would be no?

I don't think a client would have any idea that the nose of the camera's a GH4 or A7S or something like that.

KineFINITY should have done it instead of messing with the 4K/25K cameras haha.

• Those morons should be forced to use an all vacuum-tube iphone for a week. Perhaps trying to fit a smartphone the size of an aircraft carrier in a jacket pocket would drive the point home.

• @kholi what's ironic is, in my case, the producer would have been okay if I were suggesting a Canon 7D instead of GH2. They'd worked on multiple projects shot on the 7D. Though it's also a DSLR, and by extension carries an "unprofessional" stigma, it's "Canon" and visually looks more robust. He looked at me incredulously when I told him that there was a gulf of difference between image quality on the little GH2 and that 7D, not just slight, but a ridiculous difference. I still had to come up with an alternative.

He suggested the AF100 which only made me chuckle. The compromise we could agree to was the BMCC. I told him it was either that or Scarlet. I didn't see any other options between the two. This was last summer and now there's a few between them but all sporting the same sensor and two from BMD. I'm still inclined to choose the BMCC but these are slick options and they fully address any lingering perceptual issues with this producer and his apprehension over the on-set image for his money men, whomever they are.

• When using unCanon cameras like Black Magic, Lumix GH2, etc., hassles with client/producer might be minimized by wearing a Canon jacket, baseball cap and gear stuffed in a Canon camera bag. Or ordering one of these... Hail Hydra! er...uh..Canon!"

. image

• So much win.

• I used to shoot a 7D for work, stills mostly with the occasional video shoot.

Walking around all weekend with the 7D with a big lens and a speed light on top was a good way to get a workout.

Once I got my gh2 I shot everything on it and let our boss deal with the 7D. Nobody noticed any difference in the pictures and they did notice that the videos looks better.

• I really wonder why they put CF2.0 instead of SSD. BM has long tradition on using economic SSD to save video, BMPC can save RAW 4K on them, why not the URSA? I cannot understand the purpose of making a cheap 4K camera like the URSA when people has to spend more money than the camera price to record half an hour.