Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • Clean hdmi is 422 8 bits. Yes, 8 bits

• Iso will go from 200 to 102400, in video mode.

Also, it's the First FF non-pixel binned sensor, but who cares? It's not the future, i've to admit.

• Yeah, that was my understanding as well. As nice as ISO 409,000 will be, I prefer to be able to record to an SD or a recorder. Strange how it used to be you couldn't get an uncompressed/clean output, now it's all you can get on some cameras :) ETA: At least for 4K. It will also be great for starlapse if it has an electronic or very durable shutter.

• Is that it? FF with 4k output, only HD internal. 50mbps bit rate. Looks like a low light DR monster but mostly crippled.

• So, no 4K, only via HDMI.

Just a7 with different sensor, and 50mbps for 1080p.

• @endotoxic - let's see.. I'm all too aware of shabby encoding from the fs700.

• Sony will make sony approach to this camera, this means 27mbit for 1080p 70mbit for 4k. This sensor should not make heavy aliasing and moire due to its low resolution.. should be a beast on low light also. GH series has long set of options for video. Dont expect 10bit 4:2:2 from this Sony camera, not even from ts HDMI.

• I don't get this urge to use native lenses on a mount which is perfect for adapting. You can use EF lenses with very little performance loss. Nevermind that there are a host of vintage lens options.

• I'd get an A7r, but no fast 35mm, no 2.8 zooms.

You can use any A mount lenses, or any manual FF lens.

• Sony really needs to put out some decent lenses and less bodies. I'd get an A7r, but no fast 35mm, no 2.8 zooms.

• Main problem here can be "It's a Sony" approach. Make simple wavelet compressed rgb and raw recording, and it is all :-)

• Full frame would be nice, and if it's 12mp sensor has the dynamic range and iso it should have with pixels around twice the size of the 5d mkIII it should be interesting.. but I'm not sure I'd be interested in the Sony at more than twice the price of the GH4?

• Will it cost $2K or $4K that is the question. On Sony's NAB blog they say "4K for 2K, 4K for 4K, and 4K for all". Could the 4K AX100 be the $2K and the 4K A7s be the $4K ?

https://blog.sony.com/nab/

• Yeh...been waiting for ff home for my fd's ! Maybe...maybe not. I want to see what sony does with their codecs.

• Fingers crossed regarding compression.

• Ok, it's a bit problematic, as full frame lenses seems to be more expensive of course. But with Vintage option, this camera could be very interesting.

We'll see. Thanks

• I picked up a Nikon Tokina full frame 24-200mm for $80 on ebay because the AF did not work but I could only use it in MF with Nikon-NEX adapter on my full frame VG900 anyway :) https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3750/12706355585_80e9b321bc_k.jpg

• @Renovatio

You can use most FF (!) lenses. Not DX and m43.

• So even there's a Full Frame sensor, there are some m43 lenses that can cover without vignetting? Maybe i'm wrong here

But what about Nikon dx lens? Will be very smart if you can put some Nikon F dx lens and no vignetting..

Thanks

• @Renovatio

GH4 also has crop in 4K :-)

Is the mount "problematic"? Which lens could be adapted?

It is E mount - http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/lenses-mounts-faq

• So it's a Full Frame but it does have a crop in 4k mode, right?

Waiting for sunday. Is the mount "problematic"? Which lens could be adapted?

• @joe1946

yep, but it also mean that it'll be some cropping

• If priced right, it could pull the rug from beneath the gh4's feet. I'll guess $2299 body.

• Yes..12mp full frame..4k..Thats the way to go..

• 12mp full frame and cinema 4K (4096x2160) would be 1:1 with that sensor just like on the GH4.