Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • the image to the left looks desaturated or flat to my eyes, and the pavement looks more natural in the image on the right. the image on the left appears to have a rose color cast as well. I prefer the skin tones in bleach551's correction. On the other hand, I don't see the crushed blacks bleach551 claims to see...

• @jonpais,

Thanks

It's in @Eno's corrected image that the blacks are crushed.

The one to the left is @Eno's "before" image. The one in the middle is @Eno' corrected image. And, the last one at the right is my corrected image.

I always color correct trying to keep as much information and detail as in the original image as I can. I try to only "enhance" the original footage, that's my philosophy anyway.

54c6d1925c4e90a164ab7bd1022a43.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 2M
    1d1d823d2ae2b88ba1e44fae1363cd.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 2M
    ca785c1174293d25f7193b157ef72b1.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 857K
  • @bleach551 okay, I see it now. The blacks are definitely crushed in Eno's corrected image... it also seems as though eno has applied a touch too much vignetting, which is distracting rather than focusing our attention on the subject.

• @bleach551, you tray very hard not to get the point. By the way your image grading has a green cast but that's your vision and it should look as you wish. I personally have other tastes, am I not allowed? My previews discussion was never about correct skin tones.

I'm bored about all the nonsense relating to GH4 skin problems bla bla bla....get a different camera, it is as simple as that ( I suggest a Canon :) or whatever)

I personally am very pleased with what I see, and it will serve me well on my needs.

• lol now bleach's image has a green cast.

• @Eno,

I am going to agree to disagree so that we can get this thread back on the topic of the gh4, not color grading.

• I have a GH4 on order and am working on putting together a lens kit. I am a landscape/nature videographer. Sharp and contrasty is my style. My funds are limited. I am looking at the Panasonic 14-45mm, Panasonic 45-175mm and Oly 35mm macro with m4/3 adaptor. Anyone have any opinion or other suggestions on this? I had my eye on the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 but at $999 that would limit me to one lens for a while.

• I recently got the 45-175 to add to my 12-35, and I think you will like it a lot. It produces a phenomenally high def image. Of course that is with a GH2 running Moon T7, but I love it. I'm guessing it should function similarly with the GH4, or at least that's what I'm hoping for when I can't keep myself from buying one any longer... Lol

• Thanks for the recommendation.

• @natureflixs

What are you going to do on the telephoto side? I want to delve into a similar video genre and a lot of videographers and photographers have ~300mm-600mm lenses (in FF terms) in their arsenals because, for some reason, the animals won't come up to you and pose. :) Obviously, with the crop factor you won't actually need a 600mm lens... Thank God!!

• My former camera was the HPX170 with 13x lens and it had adequate reach. I guess if I had to reach out with the GH4 I would look at a used zoom NIKKOR 80-400mm f4.5-5.6D with m4/3 adaptor.

• Is it possible that GH4 could ever record Cinema DNG in 8-bit 1080p?

edit: oops, thanks

• Is it possible that GH4 could ever record Cinema DNG in 8-bit 1080p?

Proper place to ask such things is at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10019/ask-developers-of-the-panasonic-lumix-gh4-plus-answers-about-the-m43-format#Item_73

• Here's a nice test showing some different modes. I'm digging Cinelike-D and Cinelike-V.

• Nice tests @Johnnymossvile

Looking at recent tests and extracted stills the amount of moire in 4k is almost nothing. You have to search really deep to find it, a very impressive quality.

So far the best setting I have seen is Cinelike-D at all Zeroes. It seems the slow mo is softer than regular 1080p, might it really be upscaled 720p?

And BTW not much discussion has been made about the horrible 720p implementation in camera of only 1280 x 720p / 25 fps (10Mbps); 1280 x 720p / 29.97 fps (10Mbps)

If let loose we could see high frame rates with pretty good quality out of this mode. It was completely avoided for slow motion, why offer 96p at 1080 and 720 just 30? It could easily give 200fps. Probably so it doesn't compete with the varicam line.

My pre-order is still firm, wonder if anything from Canon/Sony this coming week at NAB will change my mind about which camera to get. They would have to offer a mythical camera at this point to budge my order.

Swiss Test Video posted

• Away from Studio for a few days. Some macbook pro grabs... 15mm Leica and 7-14mm lens with downscaled GH4 4K screen grabs.

cathedraleGH4_7-14 pany.jpg
    2304 x 1440 - 2M
    15mm_leica_gh4.jpg
    2160 x 1350 - 2M
  • From all the tests I've seen thus far, I'm still not convinced about the compression. Macroblocking and posterisation is quite easy to pick up on. However, it's got everything else ticking the box. Detail, good DR, no significant moire, well controlled rolling shutter. I'm neutral about Cinelike-D at the moment, but it'll probably be workable.

I still like Intra GH2 better for compression and cadence. It just looks more high-end to me. However, I await output from the YAGH with baited breath, as I think that's going to truly transform the majority, if not everything that's not got me convinced.

I'm begging for this to be good though, as I'm struggling with my BMCC to be honest. Ergonomics and logistics are just painful, and BM's complete disregard to fixing the damned bugs after what is an age just doesn't fill me with hope really. 4K external recorders don't sound like they're going to be cheap though :(.

• @driftwood @Vitaliy_Kiselev Here is a question for you. I am looking to mount the GH4 onto octocopter for aerial filming. With the GH3, it is possible to record internally at 1920x1080 50p and have video output via HDMI 1080i (which is then transmitted to monitor on the ground for pilot orientation). Is it possible on the GH4 to record 4K internally and still have 1080i output? If not, is this something you guys might be able to develop?

• Are we taking GH4 hack development questions already? Brace yourself :)

• Nice footage! I like how the highlights are holding up, especially in high contrast situations. Cinelike D is looking to be very promising so far.

• Short Aerial great color!

• Could someone post one file straight out of the camera. I got my new laptop and it is having trouble editing the edited files that were posted. I want to see if it can edit the original files. My laptop is plenty fast enough. However, it crashes with the 4K files. Maybe it is just a Windows 8.1 thing?

• @PVI - yes, you can record at 4k and output 1080p over hdmi. It's in the specifications..

• @mpgxsvcd - driftwood has already posted the man in the cap clip

• @mrbill thank you, I am looking for hdmi 1080i output for transmission to ground monitor whilst recording 4k internally, not hdmi 1080p output....

Does anybody know if this is possible? All feedback most appreciated. Thank you