Personal View site logo
Speed Booster or Native MFT Lenses?
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • I have a mixed Nikon/Rokinon set and RJ turbo thingy, but I've got to say I find myself using the 12-35 and 35-100mm Panasonics an awful lot these days.

• @kokav I'm typically shooting at f2.8 or f4 so don't really need the super fast apertures but it's nice to know they are there.

Most of my work I'm using lights and with modern sensors it doesn't take a lot of light to get a good exposure at 1/50th shutter and ISO 200. F2.8 ends up being pretty perfect for shallow depth of field look without EVERYTHING out of focus.

The situations where I'd NEED to shoot at f2 or f1.4 there probably wouldn't be enough light anyway and I'd be boosting ISO and getting a noisier image. Those larger apertures are better suited for photography where you want your shutter up around 1/400 or higher. For video at 1/50th there's usually plenty of light, at least for my style of shooting.

• The Rokinon/Samyang cine lenses are pretty good bang for buck as well.

• @Xenocide38 Do you find yourself ever needing an extra stop on the 24mm f/2.8? I'm debating between that and the f/2. It seems like the 2.8 is selling for a lot cheaper on eBay.

• I rather like my 14-140 with OIS,14-45 with OIS, 45-200 with OIS, 14mm f2.5 prime (with Pany wide angle adapter DMW-GWC1), 20mm 1.7, Oly 45 1.8, but I shoot mostly outdoor events and sports, no tripods, I need good ND's not speedboosters. I guess it depends on what you're shooting, weight is also a consideration, Pany lenses are low mass.

• I rather like my 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor, 105mm f/2.5 and 24mm f/2 as well. Like you, I started buying Nikkor glass for a 35mm adapter and a DVX.

• @Kokav

Nikon/Nikkor glass has been an incredible investment for me. Bought into the system back in the days of the HVX+35mm Adapters and I've been able to use my glass on every subsequent camera I have used. Whether it's been a Canon 60D, Panasonic GH1, Nikon D600 or RED Epic, I've been able to adapt the glass to the camera. You're not going to have that universal future proofing with MFT lenses.

I recently purchased a cheaper ($100) Speed Booster alternative and so far I'm happy with the results. It does everything it claims to do with no downside that I've noticed thus far. Wider FOV, additional stop of light, perfect argument against the MFT naysayers.

I personally own and would recommend the Nikkor 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and the 80-200mm f2.8.

• Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I appreciate your wisdom Vitaliy and that's why I still want to keep my MFT glass with autofocus and such. I'll check out that SB topic.

@cantsin could you recommend some good Nikon mount glass? What's a good wide angle solution?

• @cantsin

Sounds cool. Yet. If you are beginner (and shooting alone) that not dump money but try to setup viable business shooting real things to real client caring about your time and such - worst thing that you can do is to start spending big money into big amount of old glass. You can calculate and try few not so expensive lenses to understand that will be real results.

• The downside is: no optical stabilization as with your 14-140mm, and much heavier lenses (especially with combination Speebooster + lens) creating top-heaviness. Apart from that, the Speedbooster + Nikkor solution is - IMHO - in every way superior to a native MFT lens set:

• The optics of the Nikkors are simply better. They don't rely on software correction and therefore create a more pleasant, less harsh/artifically looking image (while still being sharp). Color rendering of most Nikkors is also better than of MFT system lenses.
    • Handling is superior with real focus and aperture rings, however those rings turn the other way than normally.
    • The Nikkors are more versatile and future-proof because they can be adapted to almost any camera system including Sony NEX and Canon EOS.
  • We have big topic about SB - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5770/metabones-lens-speed-booster-adapter-focal-reducer#Item_711

And similar topics about competition.

At first you must ask yourself if you need manual lenses at all. And that are actual things that will bring you money requiring such lenses and speeds.