Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • B3Guy,
    I take we are waiting for it to upload on vimeo?

Thanks, really looking forward to checking this out!
  • @Driftwood:

Something I don't quite understand. If you're shooting GOP1, why check the AQ setting at all? As I understand it, the AQ setting has to do with how the B frames (or B and P frames on longer than 3GOP) share data with the I frames in order to guess the motion between frames. As such, if you're shooting GOP1, since EVERY frame is an I frame, how does checking this value have any effect? Or am I missing and not understanding something?

Vincent
  • @driftwood

I don't think that can play back on my Commodore 64 :-) Thanks for all your testing!

I've been trying everyone's settings - but sticking to chris's 'fawty faw' for now.
  • @Vincent_Pereira I-Frames are still compressed frames, so I guess it's because the quantizer controls the compression ratio it will also control the I-frame size, buffer usage etc.
  • @B3Guy, still not seeing the Vimeo clip above - is it processing? I really want to see! :)
  • Cmon B3. I just did my laundry so I could watch this. Ok I had to do it anyway.
  • @Oedipax @Bueller You can just go directly to the video page and download it from there. vimeo(dot)com/29078933

It's a gig and a half though.
  • yes, it must be downloaded. Vimeo obviously had trouble converting it to their specs. Also, Clip-Wrapping it (just a rewrap) caused a reordering of the frames. very strange. I need to try a convert to AIC, hopefully that will go better, as my 5dtorgb is not working at all for any clips.
  • Try the Panasonic AVC Plugin and see if that helps playback/transcode at all?
    https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/dload/avccam_impt/agree_e.htm
  • @Driftwood
    Using 24H GOP1, what is the least bitrate you can set before it fails from maximizing the buffers?
    Sorry if you're already posted this info.

• You mean total safety on pappas and trees?
  • Video Buffers appear fine. From high detail, I think its maxing out on other areas, thats why I need to look at harnassing the frames a bit - downwards!
  • @driftwood "You mean total safety on pappas and trees? "

Yes

"Video Buffers appear fine. From high detail, I think its maxing out on other areas, thats why I need to look at harnassing the frames a bit - downwards! "

Thanks. There's no doubt 220M GOP1 is real nice, but I'm hoping for something of this quality but at a lower bitrate. I guess I'm asking at what point is good enough and a subjective visual difference.
  • The Panasonic AVCCAM Plugin work great on MAC.
  • Thought I'd show you how much room the GOP1 220M setting gives you in the shadows. Here's the original shot at ISO 800. Here is the same grab lifted in levels photoshop. See how much more information is in there! This was grabbed from chair spin movement.
    Original - Driftwood GOP1 Extreme Setting - 220M 1080p24 - shot in darkness with a single 800W Redhead on the 7-14 Wide angle - VLC screengrab.png
    1261 x 633 - 600K
    Out of the darkness - Driftwood GOP1 Extreme Setting - 220M 1080p24 - shot in darkness with a single 800W Redhead on the 7-14 Wide angle - VLC screengrab.png
    1268 x 636 - 677K
  • this was exactly what I loved about it when I tried it out . . . it grabbed so low, and didn't smear or mush any of the details into macroblocks.
  • @driftwood

It's the same thing I was trying to show in this thread. But yours seems a little more extreme.:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/723/my-110-mbps-high-contrast-example#Item_10

What I didn't show here is how to clean up the low frequency noise (which is done easily with Neat Video) without losing any of the extra detail.
  • @Ian_T Yeah I read your thread and know about Neat for cleaning up noise... I think you missed what I was getting at - I'm showing others what this setting actually captures in the dark!
  • @driftwood

Very impressive. Glad to see there weren't any monsters hiding in the dark. ;)
  • GOP1 220M slowed down is bloody amazing - better than 720p 60>30p. Simply beautiful!
  • @driftwood

Slowed down how? Like 25% on the timeline of an NLE/AE? You're saying you can get better slo-mo out of high bit-rate GOP 1 24p than 60p?
  • Its not as smooth, of course but it just looks so good at this quality.
  • i've been out of the office for awhile,
    could someone point me to cbrandin's 66M GOP12 AQ2 setting i keep reading about that's so good
  • @mbowen84 try the maximum settings thread, this is low gop :-)
  • @driftwood "... I think you missed what I was getting at - I'm showing others what this setting actually captures in the dark!"

I get it. That's exactly what I was talking about "what it captures in the dark without smearing detail." When I said you went "extreme: I was talking about your GOP1. But, regardles of what it captures in the dark when you lift it there will be "some" noise. That's why I mentioned Neat video.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions