Personal View site logo
fail with hacking...gh2 not turning on...
  • Hi guys. I was hacking my gh2 for maybe 5th time and I forget about that inside is not a oryginal battery... The camera shot down and its not turning on :(

it the end right know ? nothing to do? :(

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • most probably yes

• Briefly, why do aftermarket batteries do this?

• @brianl

Aftermarket batteries don't have the circuitry needed to tell your GH2 what level of charge they have left. Since a power failure during a firmware update is usually deadly it's important that you have a battery that is fully charged.

The Panasonic batteries will let you know that your battery is low, and the GH2 will refuse to run a firmware update with a low battery.

• yeah, right now Im know it...

It was my only camera, Im a film student, really Im depressed :( No money to buy something new. Sad evening.

• Sorry rez. @jp so if a 3rd party battery was fully charged it should still work then right? Provided its charge was equal to an original Panny battery.

• @rezyserzycia Maybe you could get it repaired. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum got theirs repaired a couple of years ago after doing this. That was probably a warranty thing but even if you have to pay it could be cheaper than a new GH2. Might be worth finding out?

• To be short. Such behavior is due Panasonic fighting with 3rd party batteries. So most 3rd party batteries have higher voltage than usual battery (hence smaller capacity) to look to camera as external power brick. As soon as voltage drops to the normal battery level body suddenly stops working (wrong battery).

• @VK I am aware that most 3rd party dummy batteries when used to power externally, use higher voltage in order to overcome the manufacturer's restriction, but is there a long/ short term consequence/risk of feeding constant higher voltage into the camera (as opposed to aftermarket batteries that drop battery level)?

• No. body is designed for this, as Panasonic adapter are using same voltage. But as I said, most of 3rd battery charge is going to waste. And if we had more or less good governments (instead of current bunch of m..rs) this behavior common to many corporations were stopped long time ago with multibillion penalties.

• @VK

So essentially, we are wasting more energy when using/charging these aftermarket batteries while not getting the same amount of operation (if I understand this correctly). Good to know, thanks!