Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @amateur

The GH4 footage does look like, for "regular" quick pans anyway, the rolling shutter Jell-O is pretty much eliminated. You do still get some on whip pans, but definitely not as unusably wobbly as the GH2 and GH3 where the image almost breaks apart in a fugly way.

The whip pan Jell-O effect looks a lot more like pro-grade Rolling Shutter CMOS cameras used on prime-time TV shows.

Maybe the GH5 will finally have a global shutter and more advanced 4k features.

• @driftwood Can you set the audio meters to stay on-screen or do they go away after 10 seconds like on the GH3?

• Found this on Vimeo. 1080p50 All I 200mb/s

• Founded on youtube

• Looks like someone has a time machine.....

• The HK video has a lot of aliasing in buildings and diverse lines. Since it seems to be shot at 1080 200mbit it is safe to assume that the down-sampling artifacts are showing up.

In the Thailand at night video at 4k I could see a few shirts producing Moire and aliasing but much less than the 1080p video. Like the EX mode in the GH2 it seems the GH4 4k being a 1:1 pixel read is almost clean while the 1080p mode might be either skipping lines or producing the artifacts by skipping lines. Now this 200mbit video was shot at 50p which might mean higher frame rates are skipping lines while a regular 24p, 25p or 30p might not.

Certainly something to investigate further. It might even be an improvement over the GH3 in the Aliasing dept.

• @jamesgh2 how is it safe to assume that artifacts are showing up in a down-sample of 4K to 1080? Perhaps it's YouTube's shoddy re-encoding of the native file? From what I understand down-sampling reduces the chances of artifacts.

• You can't judge any means of quality that has youtube compression... Come on people.

• True we need unedited direct from camera downlads. Still I believe the 1080 modes will alias more than 4k. No problem as I will probably shoot always in the 4k mode except for the slow-mo.

Moire and aliasing was confirmed in the Yucatan video by the author in specific shots like the Macaw and pyramid to some extent.

However most cameras exhibit some sort of artifact in bird subjects, we are a month away from having definitive tests from production units.

• The problem with commenting on what you watch on YouTube is people make it out to be something that you might or might not of intended. What you say in terms of a critique often becomes gospel especially in the mind of the uninformed. At least Vimeo offers a download. Most of the videos that look like crap on YouTube turns out to be decent when watching the original download from Vimeo. I'll reserve judgement on what is posted on the tube because from all the downloads I've seen so far...that doesn't even come close.

EDIT: And as far as aliasing is concerned....what little I've seen is not that bad. But like others I plan on shooting everything in 4K and down sampling. I have not seen any issues with the slow-motion however.

• Any word on what are the minimum specs an SD card needs for the camera's 4K recordings? Would a fat32 formatted card work?

• I'm also wondering what recording settings I can use on my existing Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs. It doesn't seem like any of the internal speeds of (100-200 megabit) would max out a card rated for 90 megabyte. 8bits=1byte. 200 megabit = 25 megabytes. Of course you have variances of controllers and sandisk rating of 90MB is probably theoretical. Has anyone determined anything yet?

• @Skenzin - see Driftwood's post previous page

• @mrbill thanks. I knew I should have reread this thread. Fighting this flu has made me very lazy.

Everything about the gh4 is sounding better and better. I can't waiti to see how some of my favorite oddball glass reacts to 4k.

• Here are some more hands on stuff. Looks like an autofocus comparison to the 70D with Dual Pixel AF

in German,

and

• How do these people get GH4s? It's like HI Panasonic, I just shot 40% of a national TV special on a GH3 am going to shoot a feature with an academy award nominated producer on the GH3/4, Latin America an untapped market with many growing film markets and hip budget conscious hungry young filmmakers looking for an edge...I'll pay for the damn thing but let's get some real footage out there in THIS region...arrrrrg.

• Cats scrapping in 4K, this is really what it's come to... jeesh

• @Tron Lol re cats scrapping in 4k.

• Cats scrapping in 4K, this is really what it's come to... jeesh

I am sure we'll have our cats video contests later this year again with demand for 4K videos only. Thanks for idea :-)

• The cats have a secret conspiration for control the planet, I prefer cats scrapping in 4K to see a pink GH4, lol.

• prefer cats scrapping in 4K to see a pink GH4, lol.

We are working with Panasonic on special pink version, progress is good for now.

• The cats have a secret conspiration for control the planet...