Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @dado023 No I didn't keep the bad ones, for lack of storage. I was doing them for myself to choose a codec for my work. It is very easy to do a similar test BUT do use a broadcast monitor to judge it. As has been pointed out here many times, you can't judge a compressed youtube clip on a computer monitor, unless that is what it is destined for as a final deliverable. It is why I said to each his own. By all means listen to other people's opinions buy always do your own test with your own equipment.

My needs are slightly different to most: I shoot many long interviews in low light so look for decent data rate for spanning and storage as well as clean video because it is for broadcast (I have many terrabytes of footage to store for my current project). In a static interview one is much more aware of noise in dark areas than in a camera/scene in motion which is why I said to each his own - it all depends on what you are using it for - I shot film for 45 years before switching to digital, and with film you understand there is an emulsion, an iso, a lens and a light for every situation - depending on what story you are telling. Digital is the same and that is the beauty of these versatile hacks. If I were doing a short bright crisp flashy little piece I would use Moon T7 because it is outstanding for high data rate but it is not the best by any means for long low light interviews, in my opinion....

• @Jacekk What do you usually use for "long low light interviews"? What hack would you recommend?

• @tatzu The details in the scenery look incredible! Best I've seen from any GH2 footage. That's definitely encouraging me to get some faster SD cards and switch to Moon from Drewnet. I'm going to be shooting several music videos for local artists come late Spring and looking at what you have, the GH2 should compliment the GH4 wonderfully (My preorder is due April 28th, let's see if that actually happens haha)

• @IVIaverick52 Thanks! Yeah Moon Has Incredible Details Blows My Mind. Lets Hope GH4 has better dynamic range and not just better resolution because sadly i'm pretty dissapointed from my gh2's dynamic range even with moon t7. LUCKY YOU GETTING A GH4 THAT SHOULD BE AWESOME! how much did you pay?

• Hey guys! Here by my latest trailer using moon t7

• My niece attempts to climb a tree in cinematic fashion. Shot on a GH2 with Moon T7.

• Video of an Eastern Slavic religious and folk holiday called Maslenitsa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslenitsa) Shot on the 1st of March 2014. GH2, Moon T7

• Yoo guys, I’m new here, but over the past few weeks i’ve read a lot on this forum. I want to buy a GH2 en put a hack on it. Now, the video’s with the moon hack (and other hacks) are really stunning!

But at the other hand, I’m thinking about to buy a GH3. I don’t have a lot of money, so my prefer would go to GH2.

Anyway, i was looking on the internet for GH2 en GH3 movies. And I saw this nice GH3 video:

and the same maker also made this:

I really like the videoquality. This is why I maybe want to buy a GH3. And my question now is: Is this quality possible with a GH2? ow Yeah and what about Philip blooms shortfilm: genesis?

• @Jacekk Provide the graphs and compression details and I WILL prove you wrong.

• @Kenshinn I'd go with a GH2. The hacks such as Moon T7 perform much better than a GH3.

Here are some test videos I've made with the Moon hacks and Drewnet. I prefer Moon over other hacks.

• *** Update on moon T8 ***

Analysing footage from GH4 to see if there's anything that can be introduced into my encoder settings to improve further. Sorry for delay.

• Amazing how one man keeps the resale value of a 2 year old camera up!!!

• @tinyrobot Well, the camera was released in 2010 and the hacked in 2011 (which is when @Driftwood introduced his intra settings), so it's been longer than that. It's been about two years since @Driftwood introduced the Quantum X settings, though. :)

But your point about how @Driftwood has to use VK's hack to update settings so many years later is one I very much agree with: the settings have helped the GH2 to stay remarkably viable over three years after it's release.

• @driftwood Sounds great re T8. Let me know if you need any testing done - I'm happy to help.

• Hey Guys, let me know if any of you are getting a gamma shift/washed out with my video.

Looks great on the Iphone and Tablet, but I notice on my desktop it's a bit desaturated with greyed blacks. Anyways, shot this puppy with the BMPCC and the GH2 (Moon T7); I'd say a 60/40 split with the Gh2/BMPCC Lenses used: Voigtlander 17.5mm, Canon FD 50mm, switar 10mm. I'm in no way a colorist, and the original intention was just a BTS video for a photographer's shoot (had a lot of 3-shots with the models and photog), but last minute they wanted me to turn it into a music video - Oy! So I scrounged to find a story. I know, some shots are blown out. I'll take the slacking for it. First time using the BMPCC.

• @lunalobo75 Looks great to my eye. I did see a bit of desaturated gray blacks on the woman's hat that had black and white stripes. The other stuff I wouldn't be able to tell unless I knew exactly what color things were (such as the guy's shirt etc.). All in all, I say pretty damn nice looking video. Well done.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks for the feedback, man. Hell, thanks for watching! The top hat stripes were greyish, so thanks for pointing that out. I think there's a setting within my Nvidia control panel that's limiting the range with web videos. I'll have to look into when I get home. Everyone keeps telling me the colors are saturated correctly, so it has to be browser/gpu settings. At times, when you are working long nights, a vegetative state induces a color shift in your brain which mucks up your whole night of editing. PHEW! Can't wait to move on from this project and have a quick "Happy Hour" relax time.

• @driftwood Moon T8?!?! Can't wait!!! I'm still blown away with Moon T7 ... Best ever 720 setting? I THINK SO!

• @lunalobo75 I hear you on late night editing - after a certain hour I just go to sleep for fear of doing more damage than good! I checked on Safari and Chrome on my 2007 MacBookPro, as well as Samsung S3 phone --and all looks great. All blacks look black (elephant's eye, woman's eye makeup, guy's hair, etc.). Great location for a shoot - may I ask what part of the world the shoot took place? (You've definitely earned the Happy Hour chill time - this looks pro no doubt.)

• Looks Good! Lunalboo. I agree with Matt. I just installed the moon t7 a week ago..Loving it! Thanks Driftwood.

• @matt_gh2 Wow! Thanks for taking the time - I'm highly appreciative; it was very kind of you. I hope to return the favor soon. The shoot was actually on a ranch in Solvang, Ca, which is about 2 hours north of Los Angeles.
    They wanted a Bollywood feel, so I did my best. If I had known they wanted music video instead of a BTS video, I would've done things a bit different (like controlled lighting); however, the past is the past and ending a project on a positive note (bruises and all), always lifts the weight of the shoulders. The BMPCC is a lil' beast of a camera with it's image... but that GH2 still has some magic in her. Also, Shian's Color Ghears saved my arse in a lot of situations with the limited time I had.

• Very cool

• @driftwood Just the news I've been waiting for! Sounds like it's going to be well worth the wait.

• moon T7 24l test,:)

• Thanks very much @driftwood "Provide the graphs and compression details and I WILL prove you wrong." No graphs, no compression details, not a scientist nor engineer - just a long time professional photographer and video maker judging uncompressed tests by eye on a broadcast monitor. As I said in my post there is no wrong or right it's just my own taste and my own opinion. I am not after maximum data rate - I am after good clean low-light video that spans 100% of the time and can be reasonably stored on cards as backup. I fully acknowledge MoonT7 to be the greatest hack and everything it is meant to be, but it is not right for my purposes.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters