Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Here is the link to the original 4K samples, and some photos extracted from them: http://we.tl/tX9w9alJni Best regards to all of you!

• No one know whether the sensor size is the same as the GH2 then?

The GH3 was true 43ds size (smaller), whereas the GH2 had a larger sensor for multi aspect ratio... this being a panasonic sensor, I wonder if they've gone back to a multi aspect sensor yet?

• @Matt

Sensor size is same as GH3.

• I'd like this camera! But only found a (rumour) price for the DMW-YAGH around € 2000,= Damn... that's a lot for XLR audio.... (as I don't need the rest) I'll be back once more is known.

• And some ISO comparison between GH4 and GH3: http://www.slrlounge.com/panasonic-gh4-first-impression-high-iso-gh3-comparison

OBS: The guy dialed the minimum NR on both cameras.

• Thanks @Eno. Enjoyed playing with the footage in Resolve. Very easy to work with and impressive. Tried stabilising and zooming in and also recolouring the eyes, both of which looked great when exported at 1080.

• Played with the face footage on a 16bit After Effects CC timeline and I'm quite impressed. Added some Neat Video and all the fine macro-blocks disappeared. Graded a few passes on top and I could see no big evidence of banding aside from some in the bokeh area in the darker parts.

The footage lacks heavy detail like a landscape would so the codec is having an easy time distributing the bits around this particular image. Would love to see how the codec behaves on a heavily detailed scene. If it stands out close to this clip I will be awed. Very impressive what the Panasonic engineers achieved with this codec.

I exported to 1080p also and the quality is jaw dropping. This camera is going to turn heads high up in the DP circles.

• @Eno, thanks for the WeTransfer and subsequent comparison link.

• @jamesgh2 could you explain your worklow a bit more in depth? What do you mean with "neat video" Would love to see the end result...

• "..Anyone know whether the GH4 has an oversized sensor like the GH2? "Multi aspect ratio" sensor is what they called it I think..."

It does not.

• GH4 Body $1699.99 ETA May 2014

4K Video Interface Unit DMC-YAGH $1999.99 ETA May 2014

GH4 Kit with the 4K Video Interface Unit $3299.99 ETA June 2014

Im gonna buy 2 of this babys! fully loaded

• Now we are talking

• @olli66

Neat video is a noise reduction and artifact plugin for a variety of editors and effects packages I used it in After Effects CC to get rid of noise and block artifacts quite effectively. It lost just a small detail level but cleaned up very nicely. Then used color correction tools on top and played with the image its quite a good codec.

Regarding Price:

It seems they wanted to see if they would price the camera right, as if no big backlash from a high price from the user base. It costs the same as the 7D when it came out in 09 but offers so much more. It seems the price is affordable for the body for most people and the YAGH package is not too bad for enthusiasts. I expect a Chinese copy or 3rd party accessory to be made in a few months to compete with this and with better ergonomics.

That video with the waterfalls shows a lot of block artifacts in the cascading water like what lower quality AVC HD would. However there is no way to tell if its due to the Youtube compression which is usually horrid or the artifacts come from the source. The 1080 200mbit intra codec would probably look beautiful in that specific scenario.

Can't wait to get my hands on this cam!

• I wonder what Panasonic wants to tell us with "The Land of South Kyushu" on Youtube. If it is that 18.7 MBit/s is not enough bandwidth to encode a 4K video without exposing serious compression artefacts, especially when bandwidth-killers like "splashing water" are in the picture, then indeed they succeeded.

If Panasonic wants to show off high-quality 4K video, they should upload their promo-videos where appropriate bandwidth can be used.

• guys, anyone knows if the US model or Japanese model will feature German language? gotta get myself a GH4 but without that stupid video recording limitation

• @olli66: Does it really matter to you whether the few words in the camera menus are translated? Looking unknown ones, if any, up in a dictionary shouldn't be difficult.

I would be more concerned with the AC adapter - last time I checked the GH2 was sold in the US with a 110V-only charger - while the whole rest of the world was delivered a switching power supply flexible to take any voltage/frequency in use for AC outlets.

(It's kind of a mystery to me why Panasonic would bother to build 110V-only-adapters given that switching power supplies are abundant today even amongst the cheapest hardware gimmicks.)

• yeah, really matters, if it would be Japanese only...English I can deal with, will there be English language on the Japanese model? a friend of mine is in Tokyo and it would be easiest for me to get the Gh4 from him

• I would be more concerned with the AC adapter - last time I checked the GH2 was sold in the US with a 110V-only charger - while the whole rest of the world was delivered a switching power supply flexible to take any voltage/frequency in use for AC outlets.

As far as I remember it is not correct, all of them are universal. Can be just advertised such.

• So, the high retail price for the YAGH adapter looks like it very much might be correct (more than the actual camera). All we can do is hope (and pray) that some workable knockoff is released. That is, unless Panasonic did something to the camera's interface that prevents communication from occurring with a non standard base station like with 3rd party batteries.

The other scenario for Panasonic is that the very high price (compared to its feature set and ergonomics) will put a lot of people off from buying it and they'll be forced to lower the price significantly to a more reasonable amount.

• So, the high retail price for the YAGH adapter was pretty much correct (more than the actual camera). All we can do is hope (and pray) that some workable knockoff is released.

Really, wait some time for normal prices, instead of this strange crap.

• Speculation is just that. I've worked with plenty of manufactures on product releases. Often pricing is changed wildly, multiple times, just days before official announcements. Take all of this as just wild speculation, or industry leaks to get market reactions as they are tuning up for official announcements.