Personal View site logo
Cinevia - the end of pirating...and legal copying as well !
  • Yesterday I encountered for the first time cinevia, on one of my $2 blurays from the tuesday market. After 20 minutes of beautiful playback, the audio stops and a message is displayed. See www.cinevia.com error #3 !

Yeah I can hear the peanutgallery moan about copyrights and laws to protect us vulnerable artist, imho made to protect the banksters, not the artist. But what this really means... as well as making pirating impractical but not impossible because I simply switched the audio to spanish w/eng subs, which means everyone...i.e all of those non-english speaking countries, will be able to watch the material unhindered...is that no one will ever be able to copy their own collection, or archive material with this protection scheme . Now cinevia is only being rolled out on blurays. But you can be certain it will migrate to dvd's as well, and who knows, maybe audio cd's. No more copying your commercial discs ....ever !

I await hackers to disable the firmware on players.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, what this means? What is cinevia?

• Sorry, what this means? What is cinevia?

I believe my posts answers what this means. It means the end of copying commercial material...or a big market for chinese bluray players which hopefully won't have the firmware installed !

• Ouch, you mean that someone buy pirated Blu-rays?

In fact it does not mean anything, as it works only on players.

Biggest fun is that this audio shit is embedded in hi-end dvd-audio and such disks now.

• as it works only on players.

maybe so, maybe not. They can install the firmware on every bluray and dvd player, every burner, and every playstation device, so even these "copied" blurays won't play on your computer as well. And yep....it's starting to roll out on dvd's as well.

• Seems that it wouldn't make any difference for playing back ripped copies which have been converted to another format such as h.264.

• ...or using a western digital media player

• no matter what, somebody will always find a way around it, just may take a bit.

• Cinavia has been mucking up videos for years. I remember first seeing it about 4 years ago.

Wikipedia: There are claims that using Audacity with an extracted audio file from a video source with settings in effects, change pitch, negative forty, then change pitch again, apply plus fifty six can render the Cinavia watermark unreadable. This has been confirmed to be true by several sources.

• For last cpl of years it has been a curse for movies downloaded from the net ( i thought I was the only one who downloaded movies.....:), if we played them back on PS3, sometimes you got the cinavia problem. So, had to download a dvd version and mux the dvd audio to bluray video. But lately, just hdmi out of lappy into tv and play that way. Never an issue now.