Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • And now the other shoe drops: Panasonic Varicam 35 -- professional 4K beast with Super 35mm sensor, 4K RAW, 14 1/2 stops DR, 120 fps, built-in SDI, XLR, etc., PL mount.... http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-announces-the-next-4k-camcorder-but-with-pl-mount/

Guessing the price will be in the five figures.

• And now we know why Panasonic left some important features off the GH4 even though I bet it is very much capable of doing so (like in-camera 10 bit recording, higher frame rates for 1080p and 4k, higher bitrates for 4k, a better intermediate codec, etc.)...

• @AdamT Wow.. Panasonic is ready for war 14+ DR that should be higher than the Arri Alexa I believe. Now they just have to price it right. If it's priced right than it will be the Cam to have, but I think it will be $15K and up.

• This thread and forum is becoming useless day by day. 40 pages with 90% of meaningless posts.

When we will have the camera on the shelf would be impossible to search for useful info. And it's the same for the rest of the forum.

• There will be no useful information until the camera is closer to final and restrictions are removed from the beta testers. Just idle chatter while we wait for more....

• I don't think I've ever seen such dislike and bitterness for a pre-release product that contains so many features that people were actually asking for. A year ago, we were bitching that the GH3 was missing X, Y, and Z - now people bitch about the GH4 (complete with XYZ) not having features of a $10K camera? Last year it was "Oh no! We have to buy a different battery! (even though battery life improved)", and this year it's "Oh no! It requires better SD cards! (even though bitrate has improved)".

It would be little wonder if managers at Panasonic are standing around looking at each other saying, "No, I don't have a fucking clue what they want either."

• @LongJohnSilver : +1

but nothing to do, I am addicted ....

• GEEZ! WTF is wrong with people? Today there's no patience and sense of reason for some people. It's incredible to read the comments of some. People need to get a grip. I remember back in the day working on Wall Street when we 1st got High Speed Copy machines and the Fax Machine. People lost their sense of patience and expected everything immediately. Never mind that the technology wasn't perfect. Anyone who used those early Fax machines knows how frustrating it could be to try and send a fax and not have all your other high priority work start backing up as you fussed with the fax.

The GH4 along with other new cams are giving us unprecedented quality at lower prices than ever. It really wasn't that long ago that we wouldn't dream of this level of quality at these prices. This DSLR revolution has made people lose all perspective it seems. In video the highest quality was NEVER affordable to the average consumer. Technology improvements of this level never moved at this pace at the lower cost range either.

• @thorn The GH3 bitching was far worse than GH4 bitching, and that was mainly due to the level of nostalgia tied to the GH2 hack. Let's face it, Panasonic would not have moved away from low bitrates if Vitaliy and the community had not bypassed corporate marketing idiots to open the HBR door (I think we'd still be staring at 28Mbps like those Sony users). Now that Panasonic seems to "get it" and are delivering 4K 10bit, 96 FPS overcranking and just about every other gadget (and at a reasonable price), I think the folks left complaining are just full-on retarded.

• I'm looking at the specs for the GH4 ... and figuring it's not going to be a perfect sensor (closest one in all the pro-level digital cams I've had would be that D3) nor perfect firmware, and the menus will have some stupidity going on (they always do) ... and thinking that I can easily find reasons to need and work with this camera for some time. It will be a very useful tool.

And ... a useful tool with a lot of step-forwards items to it is a pretty nice thing to have, you know?

• @Tron & @LongJohnSilver +2. I have avoided commenting on GH4 because I do not have one in my hand that I can test and comment. Everything else is speculation & we have had 40 pages of it.

• Hollywood reacts to the announcement of the GH4: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/8a/6f9f42e39ad7e458fa575aa77b55b1.png

Seriously, I used to work with those analog beasts and the GH4 sounds like it's going to rock.

• @flablo If you check lolodigital's posting history, you will see the same comments about the GH3. It's very easy to be critical about individual features and dynamic range is the easiest of all to criticise because sensor technology is still falling short in that area in nearly all sensors available. I just shot some great looking footage at the local beach in overcast morning light with a 3gop patch. I was surprised at how good it looked without grading. I'm sure that one could be critical of the dynamic range and slight softness when using the GH2 ETC mode, but the 1st impression when it was viewed by some friends was... WOW, what camera did you use? I can't wait to get a GH4.

• @caveport you're completely right. But this is not a criticism, just an observation based on the shot i've seen. I made the same remark about firsts shots shown about GH2 and ... I bought it :-) and ... it rocks ! I'm just fed up with marketing promises (25% DR more than GH3?) that seems not to be real.

• @lolodigital Yeah, marketing departments tend to use percentage as a dumbed down way to sell the improvements. I wish they would stick to the actual values that are meaningful. I also agree that most of the footage that is available does not really give us a clear indication of what the GH4 will be like in a variety of common shooting scenarios. We just have to wait until we get some unprocessed original clips shot by someone that knows how to shoot properly.

• Hi. Maybe i have a noob question, but when the 4k 4:2:0 can be downscaled to 1080 4:4:4, can be 1080 4:2:0 downscaled to 720 4:4:4?

• Nick made good video

• This pretty darn awesome. thanks, Vitaly and Nick.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Driftwood Thanks for this exclusive, great info! And shame on anyone who doesn't appreciate your hard work getting this to us

• Nick, Thanks for great info and hard facts!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Very useful video! Thanks!!! I think, it would be nice to have the PV community Q&A section concerning the GH4 somewhere.

• Possible 96fps GH4 footage (awaiting confirmation from OP). Does anyone here know Derrick? Edit: Deleted GX7 footage

• I think, it would be nice to have the PV community Q&A section concerning the GH4 somewhere.

We always have wiki, everyone who want to help can PM me. I think you already have all details and credentials.

• @Tron No, it is GX7 video shot last year. Derrick just posted it a few days ago for some reason.