Personal View site logo
Cinematography of "Life of Pi"
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • It's a real shame. One of the greatest facilities in the industry, going back to the demise of Digital Abel Omnibus (some of the company went on to form R+H and some went on to form Metrolight Studios).

I've known a lot of people who have worked there over the years and admired their work and company culture since before I moved to LA to work in the movies, reading about "Matchie", the little matchstick character for Kingsford in the pages of Millimeter Magazine back in the beginning of the '90s and in the pages of Computer Graphics World before that, back when that magazine mattered.

I worked there and both of my brothers worked there which is pretty special. They're technically still around as a company, under Prana, but it's not the same and it never will be again. They got bought but what was actually exchanged? Some tapes with a bunch of proprietary code that needs a dedicated software team to keep humming along? They didn't get the brain and talent trust that made R+H what it actually was and what it could do. Prana essentially bought themselves a couple Oscars. Maybe that was all that was important.

• @BurnetRhoades Thanks for posting this

Hollywood is now like a mobile maquiladora, run by global carpetbaggers with no allegiance to place or people..."La Cucaracha!"

• @ahbleza originally posted it here, I just wanted to make sure it ended up on pg.2 as well. But, yeah, corporations have only one allegiance, to money.

I loved the juxtaposition of Obama's words at the extremely phoney Dreamworks propaganda event with what was going on outside and what had just recently happened. If that weren't ironic enough, right around this time Dreamworks had also had a round of layoffs if I remember correctly. Folks on the street were livid at the ridiculous, almost Orwelian bullshit going down on that day. It was worse than the fake town hall meeting many years ago at Digital Domain with Al Gore.

VFXhouses.jpg
    453 x 484 - 75K
  • This reminds me so much of the videogame industry (which I recently abandoned), the people getting all profits are not the ones that make the actual content. Sad Sad Sad.

• Welcome to the future!