Personal View site logo
Hawaii shot on GH3
  • After GH1/GH2... here's my first mini-docu-diary shot on GH3 in Hawaii :

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • really nice work - love the typeface too and how you integrated it.

• It looks great, It's sold Hawaii to me!, really flows very well too, the recipe is positioned just at the right time, and the typeface again looks just right, the tracking and depth is interesting but not too much. And the soundtrack matched perfectly.

Really great, always something cool to look at, Max.

• @FilmCat Much appreciate your indepth feedback

• @ghostlayer No problem, I could go over it properly and suggest a few things but it is great just as it is in my opinion, I just aspire to do something similar, It's no where near as sunny or beautiful in most of the UK though! I take film as a subject at school so I like to analyses pieces. I'm really supposed to be revising and only intended on skipping through the video but I enjoyed it so much that I watched the whole thing :P

If you have any tips for me that would be great :) also what did you use for the smooth slides/pans?

Thanks, Max.

• @FilmCat I actually made an extensive use of After Effects CS6 "Warp Stabiliser" which is a ground breaking tool (yet time consuming) Especially for hand-held shooters like me. However I hardly ever used it in my previous videos/projects.

• Oh great, I'm planning on filming some climbing in the summer in the lake district so hopefully I'll be able make a nice short then, Thanks for the advice, I've used Mercalli as a stabilising tool but found it not to give a terribly usable clip output.

Which lens to you find the most useful when shooting shorts like this one?

Thanks,

Max.

• I did not know Mercalli it seems to be 3D stabilisation as AE Warp Stabilizer. What is great about AE Warp Stab is that it comes inside of Creative Suite 6 so you can process your clip in Premiere Pro or After Effects. (so it is integrated inside of your editing or color grading pipeline)

My favorite lenses are 3 legacy prime lenses : - Voigtländer 25 mm F0.95 / SLR Magic 12 mm F1.6 / Canon FD 50 mm F1.4 I also use the Pany 7-14 mm which is Wide Angle King Finally 14-140 mm can be very convenient when travelling (Cons : it's not a fast lens)

• Oh cool, I wish I could afford some of the those lenses :P I shoot with the kit 14-42 but I don't really like it and a few 50mm manuals, Zenitar 1.7 and a Nikon AIS 1.8 mainly :) I'm struggling to find a good 20-30mm lens that will give me a day to day useable field of view, I've got a couple of 28mm but they are blurry as hell although I've seen a 28mm f2.8 pentax in a charity shop for £25 nearby, might take my camera to see how sharp it is in comparison.

Thanks for the info, I'll try the warp stabilizer next time I shoot something,

Max.

• You're welcome. You're right old 50 mm are good. I actually love the old 50 mm Canon FD it cost less than 80 $

• Sawadee krup. Awesome vid. Lot's of variety and as mentioned, the type face adds that extra flare.

I'm heading to HI big island in about 3 weeks, so def inspiring as I've been carefully planning my gear to bring.

• nice colours, exposure, framing, grading. the Voigtländer 25 mm F0.95 shines.. .wow wish i had that lens or the SLR magic :S Just some constructive feedback, i would comment that generally the story is a bit lacking, not sure what you are trying to tell us other than its quite pretty there (and you made it look pretty for sure). So is it a documentary? yes, it is, but like I said, im not sure what you are telling us (you had a good holiday maybe?! haha :D ) seriously tho - good camera work

• @griplimited : Sawadee Krap ! and Kob Kun krap ! ("Kop Tchae" for Lao) Enjoy your trip to Hawaii Beware of Big Island weather which varies A LOT between North and South areas of the Island (Rainy to Sunny) Bring a flashlight as it is pretty badly lite at night. @leftedit : Thank you, I mainly like to shoot mood videos not shorts, but this time I tried to introduce a cooking documentary in the middle of travel mood video. I confess that might be weird but as sometimes find documentaries a bit boring, I tried to combine booth genra. Nothing fancy just try to account what struck my attention during this trip.

• super nice! :)

• Thanks gh2simon