Personal View site logo
Edelkrone Slider
  • 74 Replies sorted by
  • I think interest in their product has declined enormously since several posters in the forums complained about the inability to leave the camera mounted on the slider for for tripod-only shots, and the jolting of the camera when the camera moves over the center carriage. I find that on the original slider, the camera requires more force in the first half of its travel, after which it zooms across, so difficult to maintain a steady slide. I haven't however experienced problems of the tripod flexing, and I'm using a GH3 and Manfrotto 190XB Pro. The slider arrived a couple of months ago and I'm still waiting to receive the drag adjuster. Also, a friend claims he can see rust on the mechanism, but it may just be discoloration. I hope Edelkrone has solved these issues, but I feel taken, as Edelkrone was in the process of coming out with the new version when I placed my order. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten any ordinary slider.

• @jonpais If I had ordered the first version, I would also be frustrated. They did the same thing when I ordered their follow focus, but that thing never worked to begin with so they sent me a replacement (the new version) free of charge.

I have read about the jolting and uneven motion issue with the first version, and I'm just curious to see if it has been resolved with the second because in spite of all of this, I think that this design is a really neat idea.

• I just received my Edelkrone Sliderplus v2. It looks a lot sturdier than the first version. Straight out of the box it has the same tipping problems in the middle as I've read about for v1. I've emailed Edelkrone asking for a new video on how to fix the tipping as it doesn't look as straight forward as the v1 video. There aren't any open screws for quick adjustments.

We'll see how quickly they respond. My hope is that they haven't just pushed a second version out without extensive testing and prepared problem solving faqs.

• I finally received the drag module for v1, 2 months after receiving the slider. It makes clicking noises, and if I set the drag even a little stiff, the travel is very bumpy. Not a happy camper.

• @jbrettell That's unfortunate to hear. Please do keep us posted. This is a great design concept and if they can somehow sort out the tipping issue it will set a new standard for sliders.

• That´s it - Edelkrones achilles heel: They throw their nice designs too early on the market. (Instead of giving concept units to a small bunch of professional people (or an external firm) to test them out first. Which NEED TO BE third party persons - So they identify problems, the Edelkrone guys don´t see any more.)

I mean - That would be 100 times better than frustrating people with such beta units. (And that´s ruining their reputation / brand extremely fast ... Besinde the fact, that Edelkrone has to exchange MANY faulty units.)

It´s nice to see that they are working on their products. That´s not the point. I like that fact. BUT for example it needed 3 revisions (or are it 4 already) to make the PocketRig (nearly) perfect. (And they fixed problems which were showing up in a few minutes or hours of use as a third party person.)

They really should rethink their concept.

Just my 2 cents.

• That's really too bad. I almost pulled the trigger on this since it's the only slider that will fit in a carry-on luggage. Hope they work things out.

• I received an email within 48 hours with two videos for me to look at:

https://edelkrone.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1260631-tips-for-sliderplus-v2

https://edelkrone.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1262102-tension-adjustment-of-sliderplus-v2

Both were valid for what I needed to do to adjust it. Unfortunately one of the screws on the bottom didn't want to play nice with my allen key so I haven't been able to adjust both sides of the belt yet. It's already a lot better though from how I had it and once I mounted the second tripod head and my 5d on top, it was almost undetectable. A bit of weight is probably all it needs to sit nicely. I think it will just be about tinkering with all the different parts to find it's sweet spot. Saying that though, I feel like it has potential to move out of the sweet spot within a few slides and it might need constant adjustments each time you want to use it. Wait and see I guess.

• @jbrettell I tried loosening and tightening the screws on my v1 slider as well (to reduce "bump" when camera moves over center carriage), but couldn't detect any difference... On the other hand, the slider does work better with the GH3 than it did with my super lightweight Panny TM900, so I guess the heavier the camera, the smoother it should be. One thing I'm really disappointed in though is that even with the drag adjustment on tight, the whole ensemble jiggles a bit, making it impossible to use just the tripod while the slider is mounted on top. Has the new design solved that issue then?

• As it stands, I am sending the Slider back for a replacement. They kept helping to try and fix the problem but there were more and more screws that were stripped that were hampering my progress. Hopefully a new one won't come with the same problems or at least ones that are fixable.

• Gh3 - slider plus v2

• Any decent reviews on the new version out there? This Edelkrone looks like a real winner as far as compact-portability goes...but the drag issue really sounds like a dealbreaker...

• I´m the owner of a Slider Plus V2. It´s a nice concept, but neither is that thing "smooth", nor is it stable. The slider has a switch on the side, which acts as a brake. Edelkrone claim that the slider is "rock solid", until you make use of that brake and lock it down. Unfortunately, the construction is anything but rock solid.

If I put a video head on top of the slider, I won´t get smooth pans and tilts, because the movable part of the slider is very shaky and rattles around.

I wrote to edelkrone several times, but they didn´t answer. I´ve had to pay a premium price fot that slider, but I got a flawed tool and the customer service seems to be asleep.

• i'll be avoiding Edelkrone then. what a shame.

• @sir_danish I feel your pain. I purchased the original Edelkrone slider just months before the release of V2. I was pretty miffed, since it seemed to be an acknowledgement that there was something the matter with V1 (there is!). Edelkrone did respond to my email in a timely fashion, asking me to provide them with video showing them that the thing isn't smooth, but I just threw my hands up. And not only did I have to pay shipping to Vietnam, but also another 25% ON TOP OF THE COST OF THE UNIT AND THE SHIPPING, or somewhere around $750! I regret not having gotten a portable, light and inexpensive unit from Varavon or something.

• @jonpais The same problem here. They asked me for a video that demonstrates the problem. Well, they watched the video (according to vimeo statistics), but they didn´t answer yet.

• I feel your pain guys. But I have the slider (V2) and manage to make it work. But sure, out of the box it wasn't perfect. There is some videos on their website to fine tune their products

http://support.edelkrone.com/customer/portal/topics/534001-product-adjustments-tips-tricks/articles?page=1

I had to adjust the tension of the wheels (they were too loose conducting in a bump in the camera when passing the central column) and saw that I can't use one kind of tripod with it. I have the tripod available on deals here (CT-7402 + FC-04H) and it wasn't good with it : the head couldn't lock completly and they were some flexing in the legs : no smooth shot possible. You have to use a simple leg tripod. There is a video explanation (above).

But yeah, considering the price you're right to expect a perfect product out of the box and a customer service that solve any problem.

• @ astraban I can´t adjust the tension of the upper "sledge". The smaller wheels can be adjusted, yes, but not the bigger wheels from the upper part, where you mount your video head. These wheels don´t apply enough preassure onto the rails, that´s why that thing is so shaky.

• Even after my 4th mail, edelkrone didn´t reply. The first time I contacted them regarding the slider problem was last friday. They answered within 15 minutes and asked me for "visual support". Now they have their visual support, but I´m still awaiting their reply. I´m really upset, because that slider wasn´t cheap at all.

• I hope they didn't respond because they're trying to figure out the issue. But seeing your video your slider seems to have a defect (more so if thoses wheels aren't adjustable). Just tryed with mine and when all is well adjusted (tripod legs, quick release, fluid head), it's solid and give me smooth moves. Hope they will replace yours or give you a refund...

• @astraban They contacted me today, because they are "analysing my case". I had to wait three workdays for a simple and short answer and it took them one day to analyse my case. Maybe edelkrone is a one-man company, who knows. I didn´t assume that a simple warranty case would completely overstrain a manufacturer of premium price metal rails. The thing is that I didn´t ask them to solve a software problem or something like that. I can´t repair the slider myself, so the whole concern should be as easy as "return the slider, we will replace/repair it".