Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @karl wow, that is a whole lot more than the €1499 including VAT, €1238 excl VAT here in NL. Is it due to heavy taxes?

• @mpgxsvcd I don't think it's a question of whether people are prepared to migrate to 4k, but more so who wants to upgrade to another camera within the next year or two when it may become the norm? I realize the GH4 won't be the end-all solution to video recording but as someone who's heavily invested in multiple m4/3 lenses I'd hate to see all that go to waste by selling it off for another sensor size or spending another ~$2000 to ~$3000 to upgrade to the current technology by that time. Who knows when 4K technology will take off, but I wouldn't doubt that some television or game hardware manufacturer won't come along within that time and creates the next big thing making it difficult for the population to keep avoiding it. Who knows, maybe it will just be a drastic reduction in pricing of the technology.

PS - I'm not saying 1080P is anywhere near obsolete, but I also want to embrace the technology whenever that shift occurs.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Yea I know that nothing is set in stone yet. However, there have been more reports of $1699 than not so I am hopefull. It sounds like a reasonable price. If my memory serves me the GH2 was $999, the GH3 was $1299, and so $1699 sounds reasonable for the GH4.

• Has anybody figured out the bitrate for shooting 96fps?

• @Hallvalla Are you expecting something to be better than the 100 Mbs IBP?

• @killagram, I think until the world economy fully rebounds and prices come down even more, 4K is gonna take a good while to really saturate the consumer base. It took years for HD to fully saturate and even now there is no way to know how many people have what we would consider the latest tech in HD. Here in the US many local TV outlets are a mix of SD and HD still. I don't see a thirst yet for 4K building.

Having a camera that is somewhat ahead of the curve like this is a good investment. You can use it mostly for HD now and it will be capable of 4K whenever that is needed down the line. My goal right now is to get the ultimate HD I can right now. I think the GH4 is gonna be able to give us that. This is a massive upgrade IMO. I can say that none of my customers will be needing 4K over the next year. For myself i'd like to have it, but it's not an absolute necessity and it's good that there's no pressure to upgrade right now. I'm gonna have to weigh the cost of upgrading to 4K versus other needs I have right now. Who knows maybe Just the hype of 4K would give me an edge over my competition.

• Just a reality check. Everyone has been asking for 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 for so long. Now that it is almost upon us will you ask for 8K 14 bit 4:4:4 next or will you finally be satisfied with 4K 10 bit 4:2:2?

• @Driftwood

Many Thanks for the PDF. Can you ask Pany for the real Dynamic Range of the GH4 ? personally i expected 12,5 stops… maybe it was higher ;-)

• Man, I literally laugh out loud every time someone posts a link to Voldemort's Hideout... it's just the blue text that stands out, what it says, and knowing why/where/who/how/what.

Best inside joke on any forum ever.

If that 1600.00-ish price gets confirmed there will be a lot of happy GH4 owners.

RE: DR... it looks like 11 from the videos. Tests will show.

• @mpgxsvcd - no, that would be great! Just haven't seen it confirmed anywhere that the variable frame rate can use the highest encoding.

• I want 2 feature: -to display infos on the screen when recording. Ok, I know that it is an OLED, but I can accept 5 sec. no info so the pixels gets refreshed. Also, if it is posible to output continuous info on external monitor... -continuous live view on my smartphone (via wifi) after I hit the REC button if they already did thats, congratulations!, but if not, I suppose that there is still time to implement!

• You know what I've come to realize guy's Technology have caught-up to our demands long ago, example the BMPCC $1000 for a camera that shoots 10bit 422HQ and Raw 12bit with 13 stops of DR internally... Still most shooters can't create beautiful images with it we need the necessary skills to work with such of quality ProRes, or Raw that's all I'm saying. I've been browsing through youtube and vimeo for a while for real production with these cameras only to find a hand full of Quality ones. I believe that it all boils down to our skill-set going back to the roots of cinematography and learning the real basics. GH4 will be another great camera on the market no doubt about it I'm interested in one, but @ the end of the day it won't replace real skill-set, or make up for the lack of knowledge of talent.

• @TrackZillas +1 I've been thinking exactly the same thing ever since the BMPCC was released. On the other hand, I've seen some very interesting shorts made with camcorders like the Panny TM-900!

• maybe a stupid question but can I try getting into an argument with the customs? I will definetley buy a US model because of the 30 minute video restriction in the US and the only reason will be obviously the recording limit so I think it is not fair that I spend a single buck more than the price it costs in Germany in stores plus that 5 percent raise of tax for video cameras they are talking about, you know what I mean? otherwise I would pay A LOT more for an imported version

• If that 1600.00-ish price gets confirmed there will be a lot of happy GH4 owners.

NOOO! Needs to be $1299 like the GH3!

• I'm ready to buy 2 of them right now for $1600!

• @Manu4Vendetta , That pdf got posted two pages back in this thread by @driftwood :-)

• @AdamT AF works with Oly 14-35/35-100 on the GH2. I think it also works on GH3 (can anybody confirm?). So I hope that these lenses are fully supportet on the GH4 (also considering the new defocus AF) - but I don't know and it would be a dealbreaker for me.

• @bwhitz Why not $995? Isn't the customer always right?

• a BIG +1 for @TrackZillas post. On a race track, size of the engine only matters as much as the skill of the driver... or something like that if your into engine block sizes.

@kholi I was wondering why it kept doing that with EOSHD's link... pretty funny:) I know there are issues with him in the past, and it maybe taboo to post his stuff since PV forum considers him a tabloid tech blogger, but I thought it was a pretty clear comparison of the 2 cams (Gh4 and BMC4K). Don't know if he's correct about the video DR of the GH4 though.

• @TrackZillas +1

On this thread we should have a disclaimer like this:

Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do

• absolutely correct, no "better" movies because of that but for a multicam I need a new cam anyway so why not go straight for the GH4? ;-)

• The pdf is now on page 1 as stated in the post by driftwood two pages back.

• @TrackZillas, @lunalobo75, @LongJohnSilver, Let's not pretend that at a certain point quality gear does matter. Yes it's more important to have the skills to get the job done but most would also love to have gear that helps make the job easier. Now we have low cost options that make it a bit easier. Still I don't NEED a BMPCC or GH4 but i'd like it for the better starting quality and all of the wonderful options it would give me. The 96fps is nice. 10bits 4:2:2 is nice.

I still have and use a GH1 so I know that I can get the job done with it, but there are things that would be better which can't be fixed because of know how. I can't make my GH1 have less aliasing or do 96fps. I can't connect an HDMI monitor or WiFi to my GH1. There is such a thing as just plain better. I'm curious just how much of an improvement there is in the 1080p of the GH4. If it's equal or even better than the GM1 I think it's gonna be a big hit. I'd have to imagine that it will beat the GM1 given all the processing and advanced AF100 like settings adjustments.