Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @Psyco I don't know why you wouldn't be able to use your 4/3 glass with the GH4. I mean, you can with the GH2/3, right? No AF of course....

• @AdamT Vitaliy pointed me to the wikipedia link which confirms HDMI 2.0 spec does indeed support 4:2:2 10bit 1080P/4K; but you're right about Pany possibly numbing the mini pass through and reserving this stream for the full HDMI on the interface. Hopefully that's not the case and it's one of the things I'm hoping @driftwood could confirm when he meets up with them in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

• @driftwood Clear, intelligently thought out and grouped, detailed yet easy to read, compare and understand. Love the confidential red square :P - Big thanks monsieur. Looking forward your take at it =)

• One thing that might arise also, is third party options replacing 'the brick'. My third party 'replacement' battery grip for the GH3 was way cheaper and really well made for the cost so you never know what third parties might come up with expansion wise. Also, its been mentioned that cheaper options for external recorders are on the horizon. I'm getting a GH4 (and finally selling my GH1 and GH2, but keeping my GH3) and i'll look forward to cheaper options with regards to HDMI 4K external recorders around NAB time hopefully.

• @driftwood

If anyone has any questions that you'd like me to ask Pany when I see them shortly, please feel free to pm me

Can you ask Panasonic guys if it will be possible to assign more menu items to function buttons. Like changing play-button to right hand.

• How many of you are setup right now to record the 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 natively over HDMI? I am just curious about how many of you would actually be able to use the 10 bit 4:2:2 over HDMI. How expensive is the equipment to record that 4K over HDMI?

I have a feeling that not many people will actually ever record the true 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 natively and most people will never know the difference anyway.

• For anyone who want to flame or bash how Japanese companies do things wrong I suggest to assume cultural difference first. As example check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8611/fear-and-trembling-/p1 read it or watch film and your position will change :-).

• I have a feeling that not many people will actually ever record the true 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 natively and most people will never know the difference anyway.

But it is curious specification point :-)

Otherwise most popular will be simple 4K to 1080p ProRes 444 converter, not external recorders.

• @mpgxsvcd

Who knows. Many of this 'leaks" are shops fighting for preorders and making guesses,

• @driftwood couple of questions

1. Will variable speed be available over HDMI out (and via SDI on the breakout box) at 10-bit 422 uncompressed?
    2. Does the shutter angle setting offer an accurate shutter speed of 1/48 for 24p (instead of being rounded to 1/50)?
    3. Can zebras be set to a certain level?
    4. Is the highlight shadow option available in video mode? (or is this what the master pedestal is for?)

Ta!

• My Boss, AKA (Wife), gave me permission to get one. I did the taxes this week and showed her exactly how much my little GH2 has made for the family over the last year. I'm thinking the GH4's gonna kickass, but we shall see.

• @driftwood

Please ask if the screen info still disappears after 10 seconds, and if it is controlled with a menu setting....

• @mpgxsvcd you can pre order in Netherlands for €1238 excluding VAT.

• @driftwood If possible please ask: "Is Punch in possible while recording for focus check? Is lower rate recording possible on decent SDHC/SDXC cards or are the new dual layer cards required for ALL recording?"

Thanks Nick!

• @killagram on page 12 of driftwoods pdf you can see the specs, it says: HDMI monitor through with 4:2:2 8/10 bit output

edit: a couple of pages further the pdf is very clear:

4:2:2 10 - bit Output "In Creative Video Mode, it is possible to output motion pictures* through the HDMI connection in higher picture quality. Ideal when the HDMI output is to be saved on external devices."

• @mpgxsvcd

This B!tch is $1699! I am going to buy two of them.

No. Still too much. Don't give any spying eyes the idea that you're comfortable with this price. Should be $1200 or less.

• Thanks @driftwood for the pdf! Hopefully, the real world performance closely matches the PR spin.

So, whatever setting you have GH4 shooting at (resolution and frame rate, color profile, etc. etc.) will be output cleanly from the mini HDMI out for use in a recorder? It doesn't convert everything to one set resolution and frame rate like the GH2? Would have been great to get 10 bit and 4:2:2 internally, but that will probably be given to another higher model in the works.

Is time code embedded in the mini HDMI video signal and internal SD card recording or is time code only available via the accessory "brick?"

No more color shift when you hit the record button? Is it now WYSIWYG... what you see in live view is what you get when you start recording?

Are these smooth time lapse clips used in the GH4 promo videos created using the internal time lapse menu function or just a series of processed stills like every other camera?

If the premature pre-order prices listed are correct or slightly over the real MSRP, Panasonic may indeed steal some thunder from the competition. Hopefully the accessories are priced to sell too.

• Regarding price: This UK Digital offering for 1999,- GBP is probably only an attempt to lure some unreasonable "early adopters" ;-)

• @andrevanberlo that's correct, but it doesn't necessarily state the resolution it transmits. By definition HDMI supports 4K 4:2:2 10bit but sometimes companies stunt functionality (ie. to force the consumer to buy the brick). In Panasonic's defense I believe this is not the case since the SDI output is reserved for both time code and video data as notated on page 12. Also they've come this far with giving videographers exactly what we've asked for over so many years; it'd be a huge disservice to potential customers by withholding that functionality.

Edit: correct, on page 17 like I stated on my initial post. Again this does not clarify if it's the HDMI on the camera or the interface. I'm fairly certain it's the camera but we won't know until it's confirmed by Panasonic.

• @karl us UK customers always get stung price wise.

• @nobbystylus

I think more US models will be imported than ever before.

• @Driftwood

Thanks for the PDF. It almost sounds ungrateful to be asking for features on a camera that gets so much right, but... on page 17, why the big gap in frame rates between 12 fps and 2 fps? Could you request that they fill that gap in a firmware update? Personally, I use 8 fps a lot on the GH2. 4 and 6 fps would be very useful, as well.

Thanks, buddy.