Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy

The bit about the camera being changeable NTSC/PAL was included in a comment during one of the videos linked here ... I think by you, actually ... on the official launch of the camera. It was stated as making this truly a "world" camera, usable anywhere on the planet.

• @LongJohnSilver ah, of course "DC IN", thanks...

• I am one of those looking at the box under the camera and thinking ... cool uses, but ... why couldn't this be "ported" to exterior or cable-connected use? It would be great to place this elsewhere on the rig when shooting for either balance or just hanging it off the cage, but sticking it under the camera ... well, will make for interesting cage requirements.

I can see why they're not sending the full 4K-10bit to the SD card as it's supposedly just about writing speed. So ... if one can port out 4k-10bit through the HDMI to an Atomos or an SSD ... well ... that would be nifty. Especially if one could simply port to an SSD ... I've already got one of 'em for portable use.

Neil

• I think the GH4 is - with all this speccs - "ok", but it will be very interesting if its hacked. It reminds me a bit of the GH1. First implementation of 4k with relative low bandwith -> a hack could up the bitrate. And the variable frame rate mode limited to 96fps -> when its a variable, just put higher values in.

Hacking the GH1 was a huge step forward, hacking the GH2 brought us a very good tool for quality HD video, hacking the GH3 wouldn't bring much improvement.

Hacking the GH4 could make a big impact again - it really depends on the final production model.

• I understand the use of 4k to help stabilize footage, but (and isn't this a huge but?), just a small amount of motion blur ruins this whole concept. With the 5 axis ibis the footage is stablilized before such blur can actually happen...

• I’m curious about the sensor dimensions. Looks like they are the same as the GH3’s (i.e. non–multi-aspect, or cropped, compared to the GH1/GH2). If true, it will be sad. I really enjoy the 18.8 × 10.6 mm scanning area of my GH1 and GH2 vs the 17.3 × 9.7 mm of the GH3 (and presumably the GH4).

• @rNeil The NTSC/PAL and world cam options are about the framerates the camera offers (and about the video/HDMI output), not about the 29:59 minute limit. Even if the European model allows switching to NTSC, they will probably still limit continuous recording to 29:59 minutes, because otherwise the camera would have to be imported to Europe by Panasonic with higher tax. If the user can disable the limit, then it's effectively a camera able to record longer than 30 minutes and therefore falls into a different tax category. It seems very unlikely that switching a model made for the European market to NTSC will disable the 29:59 minute limit, unless the tax legislation specifically only applies to PAL framerates.

• Can somebody enlighten me and explain why would anyone want to hack a 200mbps camera? Just asking.

• Just going from what the person said ... and we'll all have to wait and see how it "plays", won't we? But the comment was quite specific ... that all cams would have the switch of recording format to be usable anywhere in the world. If so, well ... cool.

• @rNeil "..that all cams would have the switch of recording format to be usable anywhere in the world" I don't understand the confusion, it will be switchable and a global camera, but European cameras will have the 30min restriction, simple..

• the price would be KILLER, thought it would cost much more anyway, someone has to send me a unit (don't want that nasty 30 min. limitation) so much talk about video specs...will pictures look better with this camera?

• Can somebody enlighten me and explain why would anyone want to hack a 200mbps camera? Just asking.

Space invaders and the focus-to-kill game.

• Finding it slightly amusing that some are declaring that a camera that isn't even released for their purchase/testing needs to be hacked.

• @Renovatio

No 96 fps, crop of 2x+1.2x in 4k, up to 30 fps in 4k only, no native 422 10 bit colours (I did not understand how), and the price? Boh.. This camera is just an epic fail.

If you don't think PCM sound, 422 10 bit, SDI, jamming timecode, 4K, higher bitrates, zebras, peaking, XLR jacks (with audio meters), and DC power, etc - if all that means "fail" to you, then you weren't ever in the target market to being with.

Just keep waiting for someone to hack that 5200 to your liking, or the em-5, or the ep-5, or the 70D, or whatever other camera you own that isn't doing what you wish.

Because that bitrate is NOT available in 4k mode! The GH4 will be very good in HD with this specs, but in 4k mode there is only the 100mbps datarate.

And by the way....you know: 100mbps is 12,5MB/s...and 4k in 4:2:0 would be 320MB/s....this means a compression ratio of 25:1. Maybe now you might understand that cranking up the bitrate on this camera isn't that wired of an idea.

• @3kids ...

Again, just going from what was said in one of the 'official' links Vasiliy put on here, and I haven't done any guessing or extracting. Not much explanation from the Panny rep other than you could choose to shoot either PAL at 25/50fps or NTSC at the others making it the first true "world camera", whatever that is. Argue with that dude. :-)

Neil

• Yeah, I think this camera with the blackmagic hyperdeck shuttle will be a great system for my needs... my BMCC and BMPC may go on sale in a couple of months :)

• It says that GH4 body is similar to GH3 and can take the same battery grip. Does anyone know about the screen size? I want to know if I can use my varavon loupe ex on the GH4? Or is the GH4 screen physically different in size (I know its higher resolution)?
    Anyone know?

• @rNeil

I am one of those looking at the box under the camera and thinking ... cool uses, but ... why couldn't this be "ported" to exterior or cable-connected use?

Not crazy at all, I was thinking the same thing over lunch. If you could fabricate a custom jacks w/ ribbon cables to fit those gold multipin jacks matching the box, I don't see why you couldn't place that box somewhere off-camera and just feed the signals with "jumper cables". Though you wouldn't have the screwbase holding them tightly in the camera's jacks.

Maybe there's a crowdsource-funding possibility there... hm.

• And yesterday I bought a GH3! Classic timing.

• Well looking at the stills I think I am doubtful this camera will be a good Hi ISO performer. Everything looks pretty muddy and artifact prone.

The JPG engine in the stills seems to be either far from finished or just plain terrible. In order to see the real quality of the files we do need to see the RAW files.

Its a shame because Miyatake's pictures are beautiful!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/panasonicuk/sets/72157640629714483

• Did you see anything, straight from camera, original size?

• While still being a little bigger/heavier than I would prefer, the GH4 looks like my next camera. The specs look really promising. Let's hope the good first impression won't be contradicted by the first real-world recordings/experiences. I'm looking forward to see some actual raw pictures and raw sample videos.

@rNeil: "... making it the first true 'world camera'... " - not really, I will still have to travel outside the EU to buy one that is not crippled to < 30min recordings. (Unless of course someone debugs the firmware... but that probably won't happen too fast ;-)

• The GH4 will be a Beast... that's just my opinion. Love the GH3 images and Dynamic Range, and I've heard that the Dynamic Range will be much improve from what the GH3 is outputting. Even if it does not record 10bit 422 internally it's still nice, my combo will be GH4 coupled with the SAMURAI BLADE which = BeastMode. 96fps nice for those slowmos.. and lastly they said the image is not oversharpen meaning that it real natural and smooth, I love a softer but still sharp image. In my book it's a definite winner, but with all that said internal recording would of been nice as well.