Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Nice in lots of ways, but the lack of 10bit 4:2:2 onboard recording is a huge letdown, considering what this body will cost. I'll probably hang back until BMD Pocket v2.

• Looks like you need the faster card for all modes not just the 200 Mb/sec ones. I wonder what class 10 cards will be able to do the 100Mbps reliably?

"• Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures in [4K/100Mbps] [C4K/100Mbps] [FHD/100Mbps] or [FHD/200Mbps]."

• I find good the limit of 6400 on movie mode, since over that is really of no use. I use the red epic until 3200 for black and white footage, for color never more than 1600, never.

• Any thoughts about how we can use rail systems and follow-focus rigs when we try to use that interface unit?

(Seems like a third-party company could ma e a box that goes between the camera and the interface, and clamps onto some rails.)

• Well I have one pre-ordered and since I already have a separate sound setup I bypassed buying the interface addon for $1k extra. At that price point I would rather look at the BM4k camera. At around $2k I can give this bad boy a try.

• Who saw the BM4K on the shelf?

• I can see some features that a GH43 hack could provide :)

• Full sensor width capture (4608x1920)
    • 4:3 at full sensor height (3456x2592)
    • 200+mbit 4k internal
    • removal of 30min restriction

too early?

• @joesiv

All except last item is restricted and made according to hardware, most probably.

• Not a EU person here, but I would note to those complaining about the 30 minute limit that the tech specs talked about so far say that EACH body has a switch to go from non-EU to EU at any time. Non-EU of course means the frame-rates don't allow the 25/50fps of EU and the PAL frequency rates.

So ... shoot in "NTSC" mode and you don't face the 30-minute limit. You might need to conform your footage to 25/50fps in post of course ...

Neil

• but I would note to those complaining about the 30 minute limit that the tech specs talked about so far say that EACH body has a switch to go from non-EU to EU at any time. Non-EU of course means the frame-rates don't allow the 25/50fps of EU and the PAL frequency rates.

Where you found it? As it looks strange.

• @_gl it is a letdown, but on the other hand it opens possibilities for expansion via the Odyssey 7Q if they support it. You're going to need a true reference monitor anyways if you want to shoot accurately along with a viable codec. Yes it will add at least another 2K to the price range but you'll have everything you need for shooting 10bit 4:2:2 onto SSDs. If you compare the final specs with such a solution against the competition, you're still saving yourself a few thousand dollars. Plus you're not buying a whole new line of glass which adds up quickly.

• @vitaliy_kiselev that'd be too bad if it was locked in hardware, I guess we will have to wait and see. Super exciting camera though! I'd love to know what actually goes on in that grip (what actually gets sent through the pins of the bottom of the camera).

• @joesiv

hack it and maybe (cos feature is inside since HDMI can output this) 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording to SD

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, if you dont hack this camera, i assure you will be bullied over the internerd! Lol.

Lets wait for firmware then, i know its a challenge well deserved!!!!!

• Not using the 200 Mbps recording mode for 4k is extremely strange. Hacked bitrates in that range were necessary for good quality 1080p. 4k has quadruple the pixel depth, so 4k looks to be more of an after-thought in this model. That assessment might have changed had Panasonic used an advanced, visually lossless codec like RedCode or something similar to make 4k recording outstanding.

I think the lack of 120 fps modes with sound recording (even in 1080p mode) was one way for Panasonic to gimp this camera, so as not to compete with their pro-range.

That add-on module is ugly and unwieldy as sin. The way it transforms the GH4's svelte form factor into a clunky monster makes me wish Panasonic had gone with an interchangeable lens video camera body rather than a DSLR shape.

Sony's PXW-Z100 may have a fixed zoom lens, but it allows for internal 4k 10 bit, 4:2:2, All-I in-camera recording at up to 60 fps and it's only $5,500 right now with much better ergonomics (they're releasing new models, so the price will drop). Once you add the Franken-rig to the GH4, you're probably looking at a camera system that's closer to this price range.

Also notice that no one with a pre-release model tested for rolling shutter or other supposedly improved issues. If Panasonic is so impressed with its new sensor, why be afraid of video tests being released?

Maybe Panasonic will surprise the industry and blow everyone away, but as of right now I would hold off and wait to see what the competition brings this season. Don't start the mad pre-ordering dash just yet.

• Yeah Vitaliy when is that GH4 hack coming, I donated 5$ two years ago for that hack.

• @JohnTollwannabe

< Sony's PXW-Z100 may have a fixed zoom lens, but it allows for internal 4k 10 bit, 4:2:2, All-I in-camera recording at up to 60 fps and it's only $5,500 right now with much better ergonomics (they're releasing new models, so the price will drop). Once you add the Franken-rig to the GH4, you're probably looking at a camera system that's closer to this price range. >

Im with you on this, since i expect a 10 bit 4:2:2 recorder for GH4 from panasonic. This MODULAR design is now talkig form and price. What you exange in PXW-z100 is lens changing, and small form factor.

• @killagram, of course there is no right answer here, only what works for your priorities.

Me, I shoot with GH2s because they're compact & self-contained, that's why the BMD Pocket appeals (and I shoot 3D so I need 2 bodies). 4K is nice, but I was hoping the GH4 would also step up colour quality in-cam. If not RAW then at least that right?

I'm not interested in using external recorders, let alone bolt on that toolbox that is the expansion box - for that money I might aswell shoot RAW and spend it on storage. But that's just my priorities.

• The worst thing about the pxw-z100 is an ISO of about 40. Even with bitrates between 220 and 600, the compression artifacts are very obvious while pixel peeping. Also shadow detail is very smudgy. Yet final output to devices is astonishing.

• what is the crop factor for 1080P?

• @Jspatz At those bitrates on the Sony 4k video cam you're seeing compression artifacts, so at only 100 Mbps for 4k in IPB mode, I can only imagine the issues that will crop up with the GH4 footage on a large 4k monitor or projection system.

I think Panasonic, like a lot of companies, is playing fast and loose with the numbers game. There's a lot that has to go into 4k video to make it look outstanding besides pixel count (like no moire, no aliasing, no rolling shutter, 10 or 12 bit pixel depth, wider color gamut, much higher DR, etc.). I think they threw in 4k just to compete rather than giving it top priority. You'll have to wait for the GH5 or GH6 for that... or spend the money on a pro-level 4k video camera.

The MSRP is going to be closer to $2,000 for the GH4 body, so that's still very much in the consumer range for 4k currently rather than the pro-sumer or professional range. Expect consumer grade 4k video quality.

• According to Andrew the XLR/SDI attachment "requires external power via a 12v tap", which I guess means you'll need an external recorder AND power supply to use it? My first thought was it must have a slot for a second battery (to run +48v phantom) but I guess it doesn't.

• @Mirrorman if you see the German video is pretty clear that you need 12V ext. Power

• Its all marketing cleverness in my opinion, I think Panasonic will sell cameras if it shoots"Stunning 4k video"...allot of amateur and beginner video-graphers dont know about dynamic range or proper codec implementation.

We all want professional functions from a "consumer" camera, but the bottom line is its a consumer camera. The add-on seems like a lazy way for them to justify the rest of the kinda MEH features of the camera to people like myself who exploited the Gh2's to do more than it was designed for.

I for one still have never had to deliver anything in 4k... and for this price(with add-on) Id personally prefer the RAW video and Global Shutter of the BMCC4k(I know when it surfaces)

However this could be a great camera for beginners perhaps or those people who get asked to do stuff where maybe 4k is a selling point somehow. I for one and not gonna keep pouring in money when I could save up and purchase something better down the road.

• @No_SuRReNDeR

It is always good to know that pause here is for a reason. And it can still be few surprises from GH4 in spring.

BM 4K camera just does not exist except few (may be even one) test samples. And it is not camera made for everyday tasks.

Most people are also very fixed on XLR attachment size and possible price. It is good to know that if GH4 will be more or less popular Chinese will make you other options. They are looking and asking already.