Personal View site logo
US: Schizophrenia
  • 46 Replies sorted by
  • Well said Ian_T!
  • Ahh can't we go back to the wild west. Leone style, everyman for himself. A refresh. C'mon folks!
  • @Nigel785
    500 years ago there were around 500 million people on the planet, in 1960 there were 3 billion, now we are 7 billion...
    don't worry, there will be a refresh one day ;)
  • No doubt.
  • Like what? Wiping out the excessive population in the slums to clean up more space for the golden billion? I rather doubt it may be achieved. More likely we'll see another Middle Ages on the burning rumbles of the Rome#4 plus an expedient barbarization of the rest of the world (which is already living in somewhat barbaric conditions)
  • Does every single fucking thread on this blog have to devolve into the same useless bit of pessimism? Now here's mini-me and his little gold star just pushing everything off a cliff. Try to argue specific points AD-HD crew, and attempt to stay away from your Thunderdome fantasies.
  • @ cosimo_bullo My advice to the biggie-me — open your eyes and try looking harder into your viewfinder (whichever camera you are using). It will let you see that these threads are no less relevant, because we discuss here what we are supposed to film as filmmakers (not just through what means we are going to do that). And you have to be completely arrogant if you think that filming weddings or corporate sht may last forever. Life is defined in such places as Libya or Greece — and if you haven't checked the unemployment rate in your neighborhood it's only until the unemployment rate hasn't checked on you.
  • @Ian_T

Obama is certainly not a scapegoat. I have lived in Illinois most my life, so I know a little more than I care about Obama's past and how the Democrat Party has run the state completely into the ground with huge deficits, high taxes, huge unfunded pension obligations and has driven away jobs for years! THE MACHINE... Dailey / Obama / Emmanuel / Blagojevich (awaiting Prison sentence) ... completely wrecked the state. Those are facts...

With a track record like that- what qualified Obama & THE MACHINE to run the Country?
    I wouldn't lend them $1 to run a LEGITIMATE business, much less the US. The US Media looked the other way last election, too bad for the Democratic party they got the wrong guy...

Nobody in Illinois I know of asked Obama to run for President based on his past business achievements here, and he shows he clearly isn't getting the job done when it comes to fiscal matters. He's in it for the fame and fortune, he's a good Liberal politician... good for him, bad for the whole US. Democrats need to move on, pick another guy or Hillary/Bill Clinton that has better advisors and listens to them.

I don't care for the establishment Republicans either so please throw Boehner and McCain into a retirement home to mumble and cry all they want, don't do it on our dime.

BUT Nothing Obama did in Illinois suggested he knows or cares 2 cents about US economic policy and job creation. Giving Obama another half trillion is just wasting money- just give us BACK the 1/2 trillion in tax revenue he plans on wasting now, that we don't have to begin with!

I do agree with you Bush should be jailed and I'd add along with him Tim Geithner, Hank Paulson, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, about 20 CEO's, half of Congress and thousands in the Banking Industry...

I'd prefer they be jailed in Texas, as Governor Rick Perry would know what to do with 'em...

(Sparks flying)
  • @cosimo_bullo

They had subjects began to fill out questionnaires in a room to which they began to add smoke. In one condition the subject was alone. In another three naive subjects were in the room. In the final condition one naive subject and two confederates who purposely noticed and then ignored the smoke (even when the room became hazy from all the smoke).

75% of alone subjects calmly noticed the smoke and left the room to report it. But only 10% of the subjects with confederates reported it. Surprisingly, in the three naive bystander condition only 38% reported the smoke.

Most subjects had similar initial reactions. Those that didn't report it all concluded that the smoke wasn't dangerous or was part of the experiment. No one attributed their inactivity to the presence of others in the room.

Other studies have shown that togetherness reduces fear even when the danger isn't reduced. It may have been that people in groups were less afraid and thus less likely to act. Or people were inhibited to show fear in a group situation. However, from post-interviews it was clear that people didn't act because they concluded the situation wasn't a threatening situation.

Latane, B., & Darley, J. Bystander "Apathy", American Scientist,
    Via: http://faculty.babson.edu/krollag/org_site/soc_psych/latane_bystand.html

• There's a joke we say each year at Redentore in the lagoon. After the fireworks you say to your friend, "It was better last year." This is an Italian kind of joke, in that it actually seems like it was better last year (it wasn't of course, and you know it, the artists who put on the show are amazing year after year, with some years great, some just very good...).

But EVERYTHING seems like it was better in the past in Italy. It's bullshit. Women had few rights, gays NO rights, etc, etc. The food is safer now, the gas to heat our homes (thank you Russia) cheaper, streets are safer.

But it was better last year, right? ... get over it guys. The world will slowly, messily, painfully continue to improve for most people, just as it has for centuries, just as is happening messily in China now, for example. Longing for Rome 4, for a painful collapse before the good times come, for the end of this era of relative peace instead to return to an idealistic past... it's not useful or helpful.

And quoting Berlusconi?... setting the bar a little low there.
  • And VK,

By the way, your link:

http://faculty.babson.edu/krollag/org_site/soc_psych/latane_bystand.html

I think that's a description of the human condition in general. We do lean on each other most of the time not to be terrified by the circumstances of our condition as human beings. And thank goodness we can lean on each other for some comfort.
  • @cosimo_bullo

My citation and link is about your replies and reason why you and many others make them.
    All this "useless bit of pessimism" crap.
    Remarks about Berlusconi.
  • Your citation is a clever insult and does nothing to improve or finesse the conversation.
  • >Your citation is a clever insult and does nothing to improve or finesse the conversation.

Clever insult? Are you ok?
    It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have
    been searching for evidence which could support this.
    Bertrand Russell

And it is extremely useful to show real foundation of many posts in this and other topics about economy of developed countries.
  • You guys are hopeless. But, we can't all be Canadian.
  • Let's hope we are all not going to be turned Libyan soon
  • THURSDAY NIGHT President Obama praises Warren Buffett in his jobs creation speech as a "Model American" for wanting to pay a couple more percent on his taxes.

FRIDAY MORNING Bank of America announces CUTTING 40-45,000 JOBS!!!!

So, to summarize, the "Model American" Warren Buffett got a sweetheart deal last month from Bank of America (US taxpayer backed TARP Recipient) a month ago without the US interfering due to Obama's approval of Warren Buffett- his richest political contributor, and the day after Obama's jobs speech they cut 45,000 jobs.

Instead, why aren't the jobs saved and Bank of America split into 2 companies as it's already Too Big to Fail?

Isn't the US a great country, where the President's richest political contributor makes Billions from taxpayers and the middle class gets fired?

I see little difference between the US Media outlets and the old Politburu anymore.

I'm sure Vitaliy could educate me on that...
  • @NickBen

Unfortunately you can't save this jobs. In reality, goverment tried hard.
    But if your home sales, construction permits and credit situation are not good (and won't be good in near future) you can't have so many jobs that are now not required.
  • I have an extra house that nobody is willing to pay for, that's for sure...

The US could simply open our borders and we'll double our population pretty fast...
    We'll have temporary anarchy, so we'll need more guns and officers and jails, but we'll have plenty of hungry
    willing bodies that need food and shelter...

Problem solved?
  • >The US could simply open our borders and we'll double our population pretty fast...

I doubt you'll like it :-)
    Because looking at all real situation parameters it is better idea to do exactly reverse thing.
  • "American Jobs Act" did not pass :-) As expected.