Personal View site logo
True Detective (TV Series)
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • I really love the writing on this show. Great dialogue and delivered by two great actors. I'm hooked.

• Mmmm Vision 3.... I love it almost as much as Vision 6.... almost.

• @robertGL

I think that the monologues are one of the best things there, and McConaughey's performance is one of the best I've seen recently, especially the interview scene in present time.

As the story goes, Rust Cohle has previously been in Narcotics, and he has been on an undercover mission for quite some time as I understood it. He got seriously addicted, the job totally fucked him up, and the police somehow owned him one, they couldn't just let him go, and he chose to transfer to homicide, also he was very good as a detective. Other cops hate him and his attitude, but they can't touch him on any level.

Performances are the best part for now, but also cinematography @JuMo. It was shot on Kodak Vision 3 5203 and 5219 stocks. Also, for the scenes in '95 they used some Panavision lenses from 1970s, it seems that the washed out, low contrast look was aimed for and achieved right in the camera. The present time scenes are shot with modern lenses.

We'll see how the story progresses, hopefully it will work, and not get into cliches. Now it's two weeks wait, wtf is that anyways?

• So far only saw the first episode.. not too impressed. Didn't like the dialogues/monologues, McConaughey is really annoying, and I don't know how his character could ever make detective with his attitude. Also is this the same killer from 'harpers island'?

• I've been appreciating it too, I'm very curious about their lighting: it's got a super gritty, minimalist and realistic feeling to it, which has me wondering how much natural light with bounces, etc they used. So far, I'm also really digging the performances. The whole feeling of the series is closer to that of cinema than TV, in my personal opinion, which I'm loving.