Personal View site logo
Sound editing and mixing with headphones (sound cards, amps etc.)
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig yes yes, I would need these for production audio.

If I get one of these USB interfaces, will I need headphone amp? Do any of these USB interfaces have them, I'm looking at their specs but can't find it listed...

Digidesign Mbox 2, M-Audio M-Track or Fast Track...I'm looking at the entry level as you may see :)

PS Alesis iO2 Express seems the cheapest...and I like the Alesis as a brand, I had their SR-16 drum machine way back in the day and it was an awesome made indestructible piece of equipment.

• I forgot to add, you don't have to use preamp for headphones, integrated card has output that can drive them. But it is much more confortable to work with external interface, e. g. this konnekt 6 has level meters, and pot for HP, mono mix button. I have never performed any tests of sound quality, and don't even know how that is done, except that it really sound nicer to me. I have it hooked up on two Alesis M1Active 520, and it works amazing. So, when I mix audio, I use HP + Monitors, and as funny as it might sound, my car to test levels. Don't know why.

Also with external card there are no more cracks, clicks, buzzing etc from internal card picking up everything inside the chasis.

• As for the K702 being "far from neutral", really?

Really, as I said, I have them. They are good detailed, spacious headphones, but far from ideal or neutral.

• I had few audio interfaces, now I have what I consider the absolute best buy, and I love it and totally recommend it, T.C. Electronic desktop konnekt 6.

I had some Technics headphones but I got used to them and could use them for some stages of work, but my kids broke them in 25 pieces. Now I'm waiting for Takstar Pro 80 to arrive.

• I'm going to assume that the OP is looking for earphones to work on post a production audio, not music mixing. Perhaps he/she can confirm. As for the K702 being "far from neutral" , really?

• By pro sound cards, do products like this apply

Yep, Tascam also has many USB sound cards. Just check feedback always on each.

• At the moment I only have my onboard sound, I think it is some Realtek driver or whatever. So I don't think that would constitute as any grade of quality?

By pro sound cards, do products like this apply? - http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

• http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

I use this plugin with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50. Kinda does the trick!

• I use a pair of AKG K702. They are reference (neutral) earphones with incredible detail; no frequency is hyped. I've seen them sell for as low as $250 new. If your budget is tight, buy them used. That's what I did.

If you ask me K702 is far from very neutral, but good headphones. I have one. :-)

I suggest Philips X1 from this price range - much better build quality and they have bass (that you need slightly reduce for real neutrality).

Senns HD600 is another option, just much more fragile.

• Vitaliy is right, most modern sound cards are fine. What's important is to make sure that the noise floor is low enough that you don't confuse it with location sound audio.

I always do dialogue editing with a pair of cans as it allows much better focus on sound details due to the proximity of the speakers to your ears. This is crucial when building your room tone and doing noise reduction/spectral editing. My advice would be to invest in a pair of reference earphones that you can trust and use for the next 20 years. I use a pair of AKG K702. They are reference (neutral) earphones with incredible detail; no frequency is hyped. I've seen them sell for as low as $250 new. If your budget is tight, buy them used. That's what I did.

• If you have any pro sound card it'll do.

Otherwise - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3285/headphone-amplifiers-stationary/p1

Headphones you mentioned is mostly used on location. I mean that they are popular in specific circles.

If you ask me, Takstar Pro 80 must be better as closed universal headphones.

And good open headphones are best.