Personal View site logo
Earthquake
  • I felt the earthquake in Washington D.C. Who else did?
  • 22 Replies sorted by
  • I saw it on live translation from NY about Strauss Kahn by euronews
  • Yeah, I see it in the news.
  • A 5.9 magnitude earthquake centered northwest of Richmond, Va., shook much of Washington, D.C., and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and New York City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. The quake was in Mineral, Va., in Louisa County.

Most probably Obama will blame mr. Caddafy for this :-)
  • It lasted like 15s. Very little trembling... Gradually shaking more. Then Boom!!! I thought a freight train was passing next to me.
  • It is good that 5.9 only.
  • My girlfriend is in Toronto, Ontario and my buddy is in Kitchener, Ontario and they both felt it too. That's insane
  • Darn... I didn't carry GH2 today...
  • I had my GH2 right here beside me in Raleigh NC but I didn't feel a thing even on the second floor. I have been in a lot worse when I lived in California so I might not have recognized it even if it had affected our building.
  • @stonebat

Wow I thought the same thing I should've had my gh2 with me today.
  • Pretty strong here in MD as well. hopefully it's not just a tremor for something bigger coming. In other news a giant "Meteor" was seen all over the East Coast. http://www.rense.com/general12/big.htm
  • I live about 20 miles North of the epi-center. Here it was close to 30-45 seconds. Knocked a lot of stuff off of shelves. Thankfully no pictures on the walls came down (expensive frames and matting). 2 aftershocks so far....nothing to talk about compared the the main one.

Mark
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev - I'm waiting for the Republicans to blame Obama for the earthquake.

I felt it parked at a red light in my car in central NJ. It felt like when your car gets hit by a strong wind on a bridge, the car started rocking back and forth and I was wondering what the heck was going on, then about 10 mins later they said it was an earthquake on the radio.
  • I live on the jersey shore, and stonebat, i only felt it for about 15 second also
  • I felt it in Toronto. Two sets of waves, about a minute apart. It felt like someone heavy stomping somewhere else in the house, but I knew I was the only one home. "Earthquake" crossed my mind, because it felt a lot like the big earthquake in Quebec in 1981.
  • FWIW - I live in Florida and I felt a rumble...like thunder but it went on for a longer time (15-20 seconds) than would be normal for thunder.
  • Big aftershock just now....
  • An insightful tribute to the east coast earthquake:)

http://johnbiggs.posterous.com/never-forget
  • Earthquake... hurricane... Then flooding.

I've never seen this much water in such short time... WTF
  • true story. if i had stayed at work one more hour, i might have died due to the flood. geez. just found out that a water dam is about 1200m away from where i work. some fuckers must have opened up the gate when the storm hit.
  • Or... you could have got spectacular footage...
  • I plan to take spectacular footage when the mother of all snowmageddon hits this winter.