Personal View site logo
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • These two are pretty nice...

and

• Not exactly a life-changer, but still really awesome as free upgrades go, the folks at Magic Lantern have been messing with ISO registers and they managed to squeeze another 1/2 stop of DR out of the 5D Mark III. Pretty sweet!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9867.msg96529#msg96529

• Here is a commercial I recently shot using a Canon 50D RAW Hack..

• @TrackZillas, did you do the Reyo Commercial in Jamaica? I'm in the process of selecting lenses for my 50D. I see you used the Asahi Takumar 28mm, 50mm and Canon 50mm. I have those on my list as well. I love the image the 50D can get. I'm curious did you use the Crop mode or just standard? I worry about the Moire but often see footage that doesn't seem to have any but can't say if they used the crop mode or not. I'm considering using the Mosaic Anti Aliasing Filter.

I've been thinking about using Canon lenses for the Image Stabilization when shooting hand held. I hope they can somehow work to improve the Crop Mode so we can frame a little better. Can't wait to see more of your work using the 50D.

• @Aria All shot in the US.. But I will be going to Jamaica to shoot 3 more commercials for them. Yeah those lens are a must have specially the Asahi Takumar's sharp wide open can't lose with those, and the Canon 50mm f1.8 is Cheap but worth every Penny I think it's a better lens than it's more expensive brothers that's just my opinion. I always use standard mode to shoot & also full Rez.. all my shoots are none cropped mode love the images better & it's stable. I haven't had any big problems with Moire or Aliasing I guess it's just not a deal breaker to me. I think the Mosaic Anti Aliasing Filter will take away the magic or character of the 50D Love how it resolves, the images are just gonna get a bit softer and lose that "it" factor. Got two more videos that I'm finishing-up both shot entirely on the 50D. Wanted to keep it that way just to show how capable this camera really is.. people are really sleeping on it. I'll keep you posted & update you on new vids, waiting to see your work with the 50D I know it will be awesome cheers.

• @MikeLinn, very nice image in that video. What keeps me working with my 50D to try and perfect a workflow is the amazing color and image that I keep seeing from other users of ML RAW. It's really an amazing platform that IMO goes underappreciated by a lot of people. I can't wait to get my lens and software together so I can film some things with my 50D. IMO the image is a lot better than anyone could expect from such an old camera and sensor. The big problem is still the workflow IMO. More development of the ML RAW is also needed. I'm just SHOCKED by how much they've managed to cram into this old Canon DSLR. The list of added features is unreal. If this camera had a mic input it would be even better, but given the low cost of the 50D it's a bargain just the same.

• I have a 50D and have yet to get it RAW'd out.. the demo vids thus far look really great however. Definitely capable of what I want to do. I've even set up a battery and inverter to run an AC adapter.
    I'm wondering if anybody's done a PL conversion to the 50D. They sell mounts on ebay, but it's a lot of money just to experiment. I have multiple S16 lenses that would kick major ass in crop mode, if they can collimate and dodge the mirror

• Here's a video I have codirected for BEAT ASSAILANT :

Entirely shot on 5D MKIII + Magic Lantern

• I've found the aspect ratio of 50d raw video a bit confusing...is it possible to record 16:9 raw? the crop factor in video (16:9 or 3:2) is 1,6x or is higher? I would like to use only the 1,6 crop factor mode (full sensor mode) on this camera...

• It is possible, but not at 1920x1080. According to the ML spreadsheet (somewhat outdated, but it's unlikely things have changed much for your camera), the highest resolution for continuous 16:9 raw on the 50D is 1584x894. That's the mode which uses the full sensor so the crop would be likely close to 16:9, but I'm not sure what the crop factor would be. If it's like how things work on my Mark II and Mark III, it'll be a slight crop, but not likely something that you will find terribly offensive or need to worry about too much.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

• Hey guy's here is a video that I shot entirely on the 50D uploaded to youtube in 4K to get every bit of Resolution from the source.

• @TrackZillas, the 50D shines in this video. I like the 4K up rez. I think it would've been a more compelling video if they weren't doing the typical right in the middle of the frame BBoy posing and semi dancing stuff. They should've done something more interesting, perhaps with a story line.

The image looks good in most scenes tho I didn't really like the Super Wide shots or the the shot where the Moire was outrageous on the Bleachers at about 0:03.

I'm curious how you handled the color grading. Some scenes looked rather flat and others more vivid color.