Personal View site logo
Adam Magyar, subway measuring time
  • Probably you've seen this video by Adam Magyar. Below is a very interesting talk Adam gave at PopTech about how and why he reached these results. Though the technique is far from new, he built everything himself to overcome physical obstacles along the way and to achieve his "vision". This is IMO is something worth praising and sharing. gashô

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • This is beautiful with the 2 little girls running in the background. Excellent stuff.

• It looks just like Trey Ratcliffe's stuff from 2011.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/stuckinmotion/

• @kurth thanks 4 Berlin video =) , no visible fluorescent flickering in that one

@jpbturbo not same technique Josh; Ratcliffe's is slow-mo, Adam has a bit different approach (scanning life 1 pixel line at the time) see 2nd video in the first post. All good my turbo friend ,-)

• There's some similarities such that I'd venture a guess that trey had seen adams stuff...rather than the opposite. If you read this article, adam magyar is sooo very far beyond what radcliffe is doing that the direction of influence is obvious. As well, the sophistication of magyar's equipment is way beyond a 300 dollar casio -

https://medium.com/matter/88aa8a185898

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/13/adam-magyar-talks-tech-behind-mesmerizing-photo-video-series/

• No, the stainless video excerpt is not scanned a single line at a time. Otherwise the girls running would appear as a large horizontal smear.

• My point was not that I thought that one of them influenced the other. Merely that they had both come up with what is exactly the same technique for video. Magyar's photos where he scans a single line are different and would not contain motion the way the slow motion video does.

The Wachowski brothers discussed a similar technique when they were developing bullet time but decided against moving a single film camera at the speeds needed due to the acceleration and deceleration stresses involved.

• Magyar's photos where he scans a single line are different and would not contain motion the way the slow motion video does.

@jpbturbo watch the 2nd video from top; Adam was on the subway train and "scanning" from there. He developed his own software to try and overcome flickering and probably that skew you referring too. Don't be stubborn, otherwise I'll have to disinherit you, ja ja ja :P • All good buddy-J

Distant family related technique

The Wachowski brothers discussed a similar technique when they were developing bullet time but decided against moving a single film camera at the speeds needed due to the acceleration and deceleration stresses involved.

Well if they would have wanted to go dirty cheap - thankfully though, they didn't =)

• Again, the video that he shoots is high frame rate slow motion via an Optronis industrial camera. You do not have any horizontal perspective or field of view with the line scanning method he uses for his STILLS. There is obvious perspective and actual motion in the video of the two girls running. Obviously he has a much more sophisticated setup then what Ratcliffe was using, it is however the exact same technique that he is using for his slow motion video of people waiting on a subway platform.

• @jpbturbo You're absolutely right about camera, good you're insisted, next time little link will help bring light inside monkey thick skull :P • BTW shall I change thread's title? If yes, suggestions

In depth article

and from there

Optronis_AM.jpg
    913 x 651 - 150K