Personal View site logo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 topic
  • 193 Replies sorted by
  • New firmware

1. Supports compensation for chromatic aberration when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.
    2. Enhanced stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF.
    3. Improved live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on.
    4. Improved AF operation.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_downloads_updater.asp

• Voldemort has stated in his article that the EM1 can do live digital teleconverting / cropping during movie filming to get a closer view. Does anybody have video samples of this in action?

Quote from Voldemort : "It has another major trick up it’s sleeve and that is a rolling crop mode which can be toggled on and off DURING a shot. You have a green box and it can be moved around the frame. This can zoom in on any area of interest anywhere in the frame and give you a Blade Runner style enhancement of the area with plenty of extra detail. "

• I've really been enjoying using the E-M1 for video. I used to have a GH3 but I just love the IBIS on this thing !! I'm a a total newb when it comes to video, but the freedom the E-M1 gives is amazing. So much fun wandering around the streets with this stabilised cam :) I shot these over the last couple of weeks and edited them on FCP X which I'm trying to teach myself.

I'm usually using Vivid picture mode at defaults with contrast set to -2.

The first two were shot with the Pana Leica 25/1.4 and the third with the 14-42 PZ.

In some of these clips, especially the first one, you will notice flickering lights. This is because I live in a PAL country, Hong Kong, where it's 50Hz. Shooting at 30p, I usually use 1/60 shutter, but have learned that under lights shooting at 1/50 stops the flickering.

Been into street photography for a few years so trying to adapt this to video making some street "clips".

All hand held ... I'm allergic to tripods which is why I love this camera so much !!!

• "Voldemort has stated in his article that the EM1 can do live digital teleconverting / cropping during movie filming to get a closer view. Does anybody have video samples of this in action?

Quote from Voldemort : "It has another major trick up it’s sleeve and that is a rolling crop mode which can be toggled on and off DURING a shot. You have a green box and it can be moved around the frame. This can zoom in on any area of interest anywhere in the frame and give you a Blade Runner style enhancement of the area with plenty of extra detail."

Here's a couple of examples for you. Very cool feature. Sometimes the effect looks seamless but sometimes it doesn't :)

• Chipworks:

The Olympus OM-D EM-1 contains a Panasonic 34231 (MN34230 die markings) CMOS Image Sensor with on-chip phase detection pixel array http://chipworks.force.com/catalog/ProductDetails?sku=OLY-E-M1_Pri-Camera

• @igorek7

Where is this sensor in Panasonic cameras?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't think that it has much sense for Panasonic to use the Phase Detection in its cameras, particularly when they have an alternative 'Depth from Defocus' (DfD) method to help the contrast AF. Here is a scientific paper showing that Phase detect and Depth-of-Defocus AF should have similar performance: http://webee.technion.ac.il/~yoav/publications/dfdstereot2a.pdf

• @igorek7

They are still different and both can be used. DFD works best if difference is big, it's performance will drop for wide lenses.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

You're correct, but wide lenses have larger depth of focus, and thus less problems to AF.

Besides, the phase detect photosites which are used for focusing don't gather any image data. This means the information needs to be interpolated - just as it would with a dead pixel on the sensor. To avoid "dead" photosites Panasonic proposed to use off-sensor reflected image to the separate phase AF sensor, but I'm not sure if this idea would ever see the light: http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-08-29

• This 34321 could not be found in the Panasonic's site. But the MN34230, yes:

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+SC+4+CGA7001+MN34230+8+WW

And this is interesting: "Features 1080p/60fps, 4k2k/30fps"

• Anybody experience problems with the EM-1 video, I'm finding my copy has frames jumping around, tried all setting sand currently very disappointed c/w GX7?

• New firmware

• Dynamic range has been expanded when using the external mic. The sound level adjustment has been changed to adjust to 21 levels in accordance with this.
    • A function to turn the Volume Limiter on and off was added
      When it is on, it automatically limits the mic input volume if sound input volume exceeds the designated level.
    • A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.
    • The camera operation when the Frame Rate of live view is [High] have been improved.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

E-M1 delivers nearly impeccable performance worthy of its flagship status. This model features a state-of-the-art 16 megapixels CMOS sensor with built-in Phase-Detect autofocus while keeping its predecessor's 5-axis image-stabilization and super-sonic dust-reduction systems. It is also one of the few Micro Four-Thirds cameras without an anti-alias filter. Combined with the new autofocus system, the E-M1 is designed to take full-advantage of Four-Thirds lenses made for Olympus DSLRs.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/olympus/em1/review

test4.jpg
    800 x 581 - 67K
  • New firmware

Version 1.4

• Improved remote control functionality when using the Olympus Image Share app.* (Art Filter mode, custom self timer, zoom operation when using electric zoom lenses, digital tele-converter and cable remote release mode)
    • AF response when using Four Thirds lenses has been improved
    • Stabilization when shooting in C-AF mode has been improved
  • 24p and a bit rate bump would make this camera revolutionary.

Instead they focus on giving me the ability to apply art filters from my iPhone. Yay.

I know, I know...filmmakers are a tiny market share, this all makes sense from a corporate strategy perspective, etc.

• Just finished the first weekend with my new EM-1, which I purchased for video use. I'm not a pro but an enthusiast. I am using it with various contax zeiss lenses + speedbooster, and I have a GH3 which I am planning on keeping as a 2nd cam. I has spent some time deliberating about whether to get a GH4 and jump on the 4K bandwagon or to go with EM-1 for the stabilisation. I have been inspired by Vadim's great footage and advice with the EM-5, and EosHD's positive review of the EM-1. In the end, olympus had a good deal in NZ, where I could get the EM-1 for ~half of a new GH4 so decided to take the plunge, 30p and all.

First impressions are:

• 5 axis stabilisation is really amazing and completely changes the way you shoot. I had read lots about how great it is, and it turned out to be even better than I imagined.
    • Olympus out of camera colour and skin tones are great, much much much better than GH3.
    • Dynamic range is really impressive.
    • Rear LCD and viewfinder are great. I had some difficulty consistently nailing focus with GH3 viewfinder and its well reported issues. EM-1 is miles better and no need for external monitor.
    • Nice feel in hand. The handgrip is a good size for a secure hold (similar to GH3), and good button placement etc.
    • Digital teleconverter is great. So far I have noticed it is a little bit softer than normal image and more noise at high ISO as expected but really nice to be able to select the exact location and initiate while shooting. Makes run and gun with a fast prime much easier when you need to punch in for a quick close-up or an unexpected candid shot if at lower ISO.
    • Codec better than expected. Haven't noticed to much break-up yet although haven't really stressed it so far.
    • 1/50 or 1/100 shutter solved any flickering issues in PAL land in a fairly tough situation with lots of fluorescent lighting.

So far I am very impressed; the stabilisation, colour, and skin tones make dealing with 30p worth it! Will spend some more time the camera and see how it pans out once everything sinks in and the 'new purchase' goggles come off.

• Thank you, @mat33! OMD video is underrated. I upgraded from EM5 to EM1, waiting for deliver. Just needed new fresh body for new wedding season. One thing was really disturbed me - weak record button at EM5. Excited to check new AF-C.

• according to dpreview, video image quality of EM1 sucks.

• according to all internet video sites Olympus can't make professional video. Do you believe anyone there has ever tried make pro video with OMD's? I don't think so. Most video tests of Olympus made by still photographers, that have not enough video skill. They make video test just because it always interesting try and compare with camera they know only for photos, just because 1st of all Olympus is photo-camera. They use video mode with autofocus, or auto-exposing, with default sharpness and picture styles. Tests make people, most of them not professional photographers or videographers, profi starts with Mark3, isn't it?

• Depends what you call pro. If you are in a situation where a rig is no option, then an OMD shines. Hand held manual focus with any lens you want. I have seen some utterly amazing work done with Olympus cameras, some examples: The work of Seb Farges: https://vimeo.com/sebfarges/videos

For news work it can also be very handy.

Even professional video is more than sharpness alone. For most work you would not take an OMD, but to say that you can not use one professionally is a bridge to far IMHO.

Regards,

Merijn