Personal View site logo
Homemade LED Ribbon China Balls-Rolling Experiment
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • Hmmm, yeah so I guess it's just ideally you want to be as large as practical on the globe, one of those all-things-being-equal sort of things. Weighing in the amount of power on hand changes things some.

Still, it wasn't so long ago even the "dirt cheap" level of product would be considered quite expensive. Hopefully the backlash against CFL for the home further drives down the cost of LED lighting and the power and purity up.

• @BurnetRoades Yeah, I have 900 LEDs in mine right now but it's really hard to get an accurate reading of what they really put out without proper tools. They don't output the same as a normal LED panel. Much less IMO. I can look at these, I can't look in my 500 LED panel. Also I'm sure whatever the manufacture says is far from accurate. That's the price we pay for dirt cheap. Well that and a green spike :)

In the end, I'm sure trying to get things perfect is a pipe dream here since we are not using top of the line items. I'll go get a 24" globe and measure that with a gray card next to the 17" with the same internal piece. I guess that would be a start eh?

• @vicharris yeah, that is based on the assumption you've got enough bundled in there to put out some fairly strong footcandles. I wonder about the relationship to the interior source size relative to the outer diameter and how much power output influences the result.

• @DouglasHorn So you think the larger size wouldn't knock down the range too much? And yeah, no worries at all about these things getting hot. You see that damn torture chamber I made. Left them on for 3 hours as a stress test and nothing got scary at all.

• +1 on the larger china balls. The extra space also lets you put more watts inside without risk of burning. (Not that you probably need to worry too much about burning with these LEDs.)

• @BurnetRhoades The problem I think we're having right now is the lack of power in these LEDs for these larger globes. Even my 17.5 or whatever it is puts out a pretty soft glow. I'd be afraid that a 30" or 36" might diffuse and spread the light out so much, you would need to put it right next to someones face to work.

@andyharris Randomness is one way to put it. I have a few others that don't sound as nice :)

• @andyharris

My conclusions are that I need to use a smaller ball so that I can get the drop-off greater (the ball would be closer to the subject). I'll be ordering a 20" ball when I get a moment.

No, no, don't do that. You are creating a soft source. This is affected by the paper scattering the light but it's the size of the source that more dramatically effects the quality of light hitting your subject. You want to go as large as is still practical.

Smaller sources, especially moved closer to subject, create "source-y", harder light. You become aware of the spread angle and light hitting your subject at different angles. Larger sources further away, or very large sources closer but dimmed down, give you softer, better looking light, of a more consistent direction, if you're not wanting to draw attention.

This is why they were able to move the China Ball with camera and subjects in American Hustle without looking like something on TMZ. The larger, soft source didn't create obvious shadows (which come from harder, source-y light).

Similarly, when a production is only equipped with fresnel and par-can type lights, and not shooting in the old style of harsh, hard light, they will fire the lights into very large frames of diffusion material, turning the entire surface area into the light source. That or fire the light into a very large piece of ultra-bounce or other types of cards, frames, etc. It's to create a larger source with mostly parallel rays contributing to shadows.

edit: I'd raise the overall stop of the room first with a second light fired into the ceiling perhaps (if it's a light color), so that you're not so dependent on the one light doing everything perhaps. Then bring down the effect of your China Ball perhaps by walking it further back if you don't have a dimmer on it. The dimmer would eventually be pretty helpful.

• @vicharris

The China Ball was the only light used. 20" and 24" Balls ordered for next experiments.

I like the randomness of your approach! I can also see that you could organise most of the LEDs to be around one side of the ball thereby getting the light where you need it most.

After an hour or so I heard a few expansion clicks from the baked bean cans, they get warm but easily hand held so not much to worry about.

@astraban

If it stops raining and the wind drops in the UK I'll give it a test - this weeks homework is fibre-optic broadband, I'm sure Clover would have a word or two to say about that!

• @andyharris I don't know man, that video looks pretty good to me. Did you light her on camera by chance? Also was there a backlight used at all?

• @andyharris Yeah man, go for the smaller globes for sure. I'm using a 17.5 I think at the moment but have two 16 inch ones sitting here. They have a more neutral paper color to them. My first version was more tan and added some color cast I'm sure, which might not be too bad :)

And as a good laugh, here's what I put together initially for the inner chamber! I wanted something that I can wrap gels around for correction easily. The black foam core will be replaced by another metal frame so zero light is being blocked from and angle. might not be the prettiest solution but it works and it's easy to gel when needed. I'll figure out a way to make it look not so cluster fucky :)

photo 1.JPG
    640 x 480 - 125K
    photo 3.JPG
    640 x 480 - 121K
  • Thanks for all that @andyharris! If you have time one of thoses evening, a test in the street to "boost" the practical street lighting on the talent face would be awesome (or in a car at night). But I'll try to do some test myself when I'll found thoses tools. Thanks again. Great ideas.

• So here's the quick test that I made with the China Ball:

Which looks too warm, so here's what I see from Resolve:

http://wbavproductions.co.uk/images/china/ResolveView.png

The colour adjustments are here:

http://wbavproductions.co.uk/images/china/CLColourCorrection.png

My conclusions are that I need to use a smaller ball so that I can get the drop-off greater (the ball would be closer to the subject). I'll be ordering a 20" ball when I get a moment.

ResolveView.png
    1304 x 733 - 1M
    CLColourCorrection.png
    184 x 279 - 10K
  • Ok, so far with my brand of lights, which I think Andys might be much better, here's the adjustments to pull it back from any color cast on a 18% gray card. This is with 1/4-green on them. I've included the Vectorscope before the adjustment in Resolve as well.

ChinaGlobeCorrection 1:4-green.png
    181 x 306 - 24K
    Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 8.37.27 PM.png
    785 x 743 - 32K
  • Cree has demonstrated its first 200-lumen-per-watt (LPW) LED concept luminaire, which offers more than twice the efficiency of linear fluorescent luminaires, according to the company.

The 3,200-lumen concept luminaire delivers greater than 200LPW at 80CRI at thermal equilibrium while remaining within the ANSI color specification for 3000K, which Cree said will enable it to deliver increased performance in LED luminaire applications at a lower cost to accelerate LED adoption.

• @vicharris On those tests I had to remove a fraction of green --- This is based on doing a 'conform' on a known grey in Resolve - I made the spot on the vectorscope round and in the middle (Is this the right way?). There might be a delay in my next test due to Talent having a nasty cold. The next test may contain a bit of a shoot out between the BMCC and the Canon DC1 which a friend of mine just bought.

• @andyharris Nice man! How are you finding the color temp and green spike if there is one? I'll have time next week to just back on mine. I feel they are a tad bit cool.

Holy crap! Just realized I can't get the ones you bought shipped to the states. Odd.

• @andyharris I have a few LiPos, but didn't know there are problems if you drain them. Thanks for the tip!

I bought some LED strip today, and will be starting my own experiments.

• Here's a few photos of the China Ball:

here's my building notes: http://wbavproductions.co.uk/resources/blog.html

@ahbleza I tested at 12.6V which is a 3 cell LiPo. At around 30W a 2100mAh 3 cell Lipo will run for 45 minutes. I have some protectors that will switch off the light around 11.1V to protect the LiPo.

IMG_5954.jpg
    683 x 1024 - 149K
    IMG_5979.jpg
    825 x 1024 - 188K
    IMG_5981.jpg
    1024 x 900 - 205K
    IMG_5990.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 138K
    IMG_6006.jpg
    1024 x 878 - 159K
    IMG_6014.jpg
    683 x 1024 - 180K
  • @andyharris More than likely you'll need to add some 1/4-green to em. That was what I found a little difficult in the lantern. I'll dive back into it next week and make it less ghetto :)

@ahbleza If you check out one of my pics above, you can see how these can easily be ran off of battery power. It's the main reason I started the project. So you can take it anywhere and have a little soft light in a min.

• @andyharris I'm itching to try this too. It sounds like an awesome addition to the lighting arsenal. Are you planning a mobile (battery) power or mains tethered with transformer?

• So the 2M strip of LEDs have arrived, I've put them on a bench power supply and they drawn about 2.6A at 12.6V which is 32W (was expecting 28.8W).

You wouldn't want to look at them for long.

I wrapped them around a baked bean tin and this seems a perfect fit -- know what I'm having for breakfast now. Since the strip gets quite warm I'm going to clean the can in the dishwasher then rub it down to roughen the surface a bit. That should help the self-adhesive strip.

By the week-end I should have a few photos and by next week end I hope to have done a mini project with the experimental light.

• @andyharris Ooooooo, I like those that you found. I should order one to see how it matches up against the ones I bought. I'm sure they are better.

Also I didn't buy the Litegear ones. They are pretty expensive. I'm just trying out cheap ones right now.

• @vicharris

I ordered: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/90-cri-120-led-1200-lumen-14-4-w-warm-3200k-led-tape-1-metre.html (2 Metre length)

Plus I have some RGB Tape left over from another project.

The Lantern arrived today, at 1Metre (36") I may have over done it a bit - its huge!

For testing I have some nice DC bench power supplies that are very stable with CV and CC controls. I have a little project in mind that would make a sensible test.

I also considered:

http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/s.a.d+t8+15w+18%5c+natural+daylight+pack+of+6%22/3269855943

I have some Dimmable HF Ballasts in the workshop, but I reckon this would take more than a weekend to construct and test.

I looked at the Litegear tape that I think you are going test, the prices are good but the UK shipping was more than the tape.

• Like I said I don't have much time right now but I threw in the 600 LED strip along with the 300 and did a quick test. The strength went from 11 1/3EV to 12 1/3 EV at 800asa at 1ft. If the CRI isn't horrible and I really don't know how to to measure that, maybe shoot a color chart in RAW and post the DNG, I'm thinking 4 of the 600 LED strips inside a 1/4-green chamber might be enough light to help out practical lighting props since that was what I was going for. Definitely a great on location or in the woods soft lighting source with the battery option.

If anyone else is playing around or finds anything else, please share as I think this is a cool, cheap and mobile solution. Probably great for CUs.

• @andyharris Awesome man. What lights did you order? If you provided a link that would help out here too.

P.S. Like the name ;)