Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @Qadri the descriptions of the different cables say what application they are for.

In the photos they are now moulded connectors whereas my 3 yr old cable has connectors you could solder on (repairable).

My LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON has a 3.5mm for the camera input side and provides a headphone output too for monitoring. It is a Y cable. They made a special one for the GH2 with a 2.5mm instead of a 3.5mm at the camera. I opted for one with a 3.5mm @ the camera since that can be adapted to the GH2 and work on future cameras too.

• @thorgas I try to overexpose all the time like EV +1 or +2 as we do on GH2 but still trying to find best parameters for sharp and noiseless image. maybe we need the hack to solve those kind of stuff (high bitrate). it takes time :)

• From what I can see, the g6 DOES have the same or similar iso bug as the gh2, here's how I noticed. I found while in the manual movie mode, if I scroll from lower to higher iso's (left to right), it appears there's more noise in the image, compared to scrolling high to low (right to left), the noise is less apparent, especially noticed it at higher iso's. So if you want to set your camera iso at 1600 go past it to like 2500, then back it down to 1600. It's very obvious on my cam, however I could have a quirky copy. Can someone else verify this? Has anyone tried the little mini connection port on the side of the cam that reads "digital/audio/vid as a way to monitor audio or video? I didn't bother as I figured it was just for offloading pics from the cam.

• I had crazy thing happen today. I was filming some critters with my manual Nikkor Ais lens and the overlays on the display disappeared after 10 seconds like normal, the display dimmed after 30 seconds like normal, but it stayed on for as long as I filmed and didn't go blank even on clips over 4 minutes.

I don't believe I changed anything other than recording mode back and forth between 1080-60p and 1080-30p. I would swear every time I've shot with this cam since I got it the screen would go blank after 1min when recording. Isn't this one of the things that people complain about most often with these cams?

What could possibly have caused this to change, when no one else has been able to get it to do that?

Cheers, Pete

• @maranfilms - I will check it. Just tell me if you have to use higher iso before choosing lower, the proper one? Or it is enough to scroll only past it? I mean: go past the proper one, highlight higher and then - without really using higher iso - go back & choose lower iso.

• Thanks Valdi99, just scrolling past is enough to see the noise difference on my copy. It was kind of by accident I noticed it, but now that I think about it, it would make sense being that it's the same sensor as the gh2 and all.

• I'm not sure what you mean Pete, Were you using a tablet or phone to monitor/control the cam? If not, there's no reason the evf/lcd should go blank or shut off, however if it's in some type of economy battery mode it may do that. Does anyone know if there's a way to make the cam not dim down after 30 seconds?

• Speaking of weird, yesterday my g6 froze during playback...twice on the same avc clip. Had to shutdown and reboot. The clip played fine in my computer....i.e wasn't a corrupted file. It was a 24p file btw.

• I had a horrible problem: my wireless mics played up during a live shoot so I had to take them out and thought the in-built mic will just have to do. When I played it back there was no sound!!

Very frustrating and the whole thing is useless now without sound. Got me very upset. I'm not sure what the problem is but it might be that the camera needs switching off and back on again if you disconnect an audio source. Or it could have been just a one off problem. I'm too angry to try it again as it gives me bad memories of a wasted valuable recording.

Having no headphone out is a real down side I think, especially if you have potential sound issues on camera (or with your own gear). How hard would it have been to have a headphone socket next to the mic input?

• @c3hammer I've shot for periods of 15+ minutes without the screen overlay going away or the screen going blank.. First thing I did when I got the camera was go through the menus and make everything either OFF or Manual. I'm sure there are some kind of settings that are doing what you are seeing.

• I am pretty sure it is because of Economy mode enabled. As far as I can remember LCD screen/EVF goes off after 1 minute by default.

• Ok, I think I've figured out this US NTSC model. The time to the display turning off and sleep mode are the only two things under Economy. The Auto LVF/Monitor Off can only be set to 1, 2 or 5mins till it goes blank. Sleep mode can be turned off completely so it will never go to sleep though.

The screen overlays are different between Monitor Dip. Style settings. If you have the LVD set to video mode, the screen overlays disappear after 10 seconds no matter what. If you have it set to the other style it will stay on all the time!

No matter what I do the screen dims after 30 seconds.

YMMV if you have the PAL model. I'm curious if that is the difference I'm seeing.

Cheers, Pete

• I am off home for next few days, but will check it right upon coming back.

• @maranfilms: I can't recognize a significant difference in terms of noise by doing shooting at the following two setups:

switch on (ISO = 200) set ISO = 3200 set ISO = 800

switch on (ISO = 200) set ISO = 800

I got firmware 1.1 and the PAL version. Does your workflow differ and can anyone else comment on the ISO topic?

• Really can record to 60p? I like know If can make slow motion.

• @thorgas I see no iso bug like the GH2 when I try it.

• @Manu4Vendetta I have shot my G6 in 1080-60p mp4 mode almost exclusively since I got my G6 the first week it was available here in the USA. I think it's one of the finest cams ever made, particularly because it was the only cam made that could do 1080-60p in ETC mode. The only other cam made that can do that now is the GX7.

Here's a sample of slowmotion from 60p slowed to 30p in ETC mode with the Panasonic 100-300mm F/4-5.6 IS

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer Very nice video. I think you captured the elegance of the sport wonderfully! OT: At 1:57 is that one whole boat rising off the water on just the mid-hull fins? They are hydroplaning fins? Crazy. What shutter speed did you use at 60 fps?

• @CFreak, those cats actually are riding on foils with the hulls completely out of the water on the complete downwind leg. By the time they finished the comeback from down 8 races to win, Oracle Team USA was foiling with the hulls out of the water up wind as well. They were going 35mph upwind and up to 53 mph on the reaches and down wind. Simply amazing machines to say the least.

As for frame rates vs. shutter speed, I've come to like shooting at 1/60th with 60p virtually all the time. When conformed to 30p for output it looks smooth and is not excessively blurry when slowed to 1/2 speed for slow motion.

I came from Canon DSLR's before I got the G6 and actually like the smoother image canons create some times to the ultra sharp one you get with filming at 1080-30p or 24p in AVCHD mode. ETC on with 1080-60p in mp4 mode at 1/60th of a second seems to have a film like grain to the image and enough sharpness to just really bring it. Obviously YMMV, but It's the mode that most suits my need with the least amount of work in post.

Cheers, Pete

• I'm down to the last few things I have to do on a music video I shot with the GH2 and G6. I have to say that the G6 is still my favorite of the two cameras by FAR. Even with high bitrate patches, the G6 just looks so much better. I'm doing a fair bit of CC and automated masking in the video and the G6 files hold up a lot better than the GH2. I should have the video up by next week hopefully, if the band approves the video.

• @svart: I'm looking foreward to seeing your video. Almost seling my G6 to keep my hacked GH2 atm.

• I tried out some ISO settings in Motion pict. manual mode and can't really see ISO bug I knew from GH2. Maybe I should have done more intensive tests, but for now my G6 seems to be ISO bug free.

LCD doesn't dim after 10 seconds or after any time, just goes blank after 1 minute. But when "Monitor Info. Disp." is set to ON (menu Custom p.5/8) life video on LCD stays on, only overlays disappear after 1 minute (except of red SD card & pulsing dot and remaining time). And it doesn't depend on whatever settings in Economy sub-menu.

My G6 is PAL, fw 1.1 with vintage lens via adapter.

• What do you think of VIVID picture style with -4 -2 -3 -3 and over exposing a little (like +1)? Seems so reduce noise a little over Standard picture style with same settings. Still not as noiseless as my GH2 :-/

EDIT: I'm getting closer to GH2 sharpness, too. Which is nice.

• @c3hammer Thanks for the info.

• @thorgas, would be great if you can upload your test and comparision