Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @nobbystylus Thx, good to say that if you do a good white balance with a card you can remove that magenta cast internally, so the LUT will throw your footage on the green side.

@lumixmaxgh3 I use LUT Buddy from red giant, it's a free trial with a watermark.

EDIT: I meant LUT Utility...like @thetrickster said.

• does anyone know how to use the LUT of yak with fcpx? thanks

• Been shooting a bit today in different locations and I'm finding that with a good custom white balance (using a white card) and saturation set to 0 (all other settings at -5) I'm getting good skin tones in camera with little tweaking needed in post. Yaks LUT is helping to fix old rushes that didn't have a good white balance and had -5 across the board however!

• @lumixmaxgh3

Depends on how much you want to bake in your settings... if you have time to CC go with Nat -5, if not standard 0 will do... It's up to you as the hue setting does not seem to change when switching settings

• @yak Then, for you what would be the best setting to apply your LUT?

• LUTs really doing nice work on skin tones in After Effects. Thanks Yak!

• @surfculture Thank you for trying it out, thanks for feedback!

@thetrickster Since it's only the touching the hue it should work with every settings.

• Figured out how to use a LUT with FCPX. Now... I am right in thinking this will benefit all image options for the GH3? or only a particular custom setting?

• @surfculture Thank you for the explanation of how to use the LUT in Resolve!!!!

• @surfculture It works great in After Effects CC by adding a utility effect to your clips timeline. Use the Apply Color LUT effect and import Yak's cube file from there.

• And to use with resolve 10, you must copy this LUT in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\LUT . If you want to apply on all videos in the same time you go to : project setting\lookup table \3D output lookup table ant select your LUT. If you want to apply on only one video, clic right on the NODE (of your video) choice 3DLUT\LUT\ your LUT

• I found how I can use your Lut with premiere pro CS6, but you must buy Red Giant Lut Buddy. I've it and it's fun, The change is subtle but present, great work Yak.

• @wgtwo .. mm.. not sure i agree with you there.. Moon T7 as a result of the hack had an unbelievable change to GH2 quality.

• With all due respect to Vitaliy, I like how this thread has done more to improve the GH3 than the hack ever did for the GH2.

• Having tested some other footage with the LUT I made, I realized I was over doing it... Just came up with another one, I believe is just enough to balance the skin. + I added a magenta cast killer, just enough so it's not green.

Giving very good skin results.

GH3 skins v3.cube.zip
  • Interesting work you're doing, @yak ...

Neil

• GH3 - 7D - GH3 hue adj

I first graded gh3 to match 7D colors, after that added the hue adj, look closely at the colored wall and the red bricks how much it ressembles after the adjustment.

gh3.jpg
    1008 x 566 - 889K
    7D.jpg
    1009 x 569 - 774K
    gh3hue.jpg
    1008 x 566 - 897K
  • @surfculture Sorry I don't know, maybe LUT buddy... I don't use PP.

@Vesku Saturation at -5 or +5 is the same thing for me, no advantage using one over the other since you can get the exact same result in post. I graded a +5 like a -5 and vice versa colors stay the exact same, in term of tonality, luminescence etc...

I'll keep arguing GH3 reds on video are way to bright. You may not agree with me, but when I shoot something that is red and I know how red that red it red, like a fire hydrant, always comes out glowing and on the light side.

I'll go out in the freezing cold today to shoot 7D vs GH3 same shot with reds, I always thought of 7D colors as true to life.

• @yak

We are only discussing of skin tones, but the GH3 as the worst reds I have seen in a camera; school buses come out yellow, stop signs very light red... True for video files, mp4, mov or avchd. Jpeg not too bad, raw is very good. (when compared to nikon or canon)

I asked once that are you and many others using -5 color. I think that may be reason for bad color. Why we must use -5 color? When reducing contrast it reduces color at the same time also. So why -5 color? My reds and all other colors are just OK with natural -5 all other but color 0. My humble question is that am I missing something important?

• Hello and happy new year... Yak@ I would like to know, how We use your lut (.cube) with pp CS6 or after CS6 ou resolve lite 10 ? I don't know and this first for me . Thank you.

• Throughout the latest testing something has become blatantly obvious concerning the GH3. White Balance. Yeah I know, WB is critical before you hit the record button as with any camera. I get that BUT the GH3's red issue is simply unforgiving. For my clients throughout the last few years I've corrected and graded footage from the GH2, Canon Mark 2 and 3, RED, Phantom 4000 etc. etc. None of these systems are as brutally unforgiving as the GH3. I'm going to revisit some of the older posts here on manual WB and then tweaking the red and green down. Coming full circle, and embarrassed that I'm sounding like a pure amateur, I will admit I underestimated the importance of a good WB setting on the GH3. It's best to at least be "in the ball park" before grading. I feel much of my footage has been in the parking lot or down the street from the ball park. That's why it's been such a challenge to get back to normal or real color. Live and learn, but more important... be honest when at fault. I'm off my soapbox now. Sorry for the ramble.

• @superset

Still early, there are maybe situations were it won't work, although I haven't seen any yet... Still needs to be shared and tested but for me it's a big yes!

Keep in mind it's not a one click does all type of file, needs to be manually tweaked depending on exposure.

• So, are we saying that Natural -5s all around is a viable option again using this LUT?

• @mat33 Vivid is a good choice... 1 week ago I would have said never to shoot natural -5, now with the adjustment I don't know why I would shoot any different.

We are only discussing of skin tones, but the GH3 as the worst reds I have seen in a camera; school buses come out yellow, stop signs very light red... True for video files, mp4, mov or avchd. Jpeg not too bad, raw is very good. (when compared to nikon or canon)