Personal View site logo
StupidTV
  • 35 Replies sorted by

This is how "progress" looks.

xa7.jpg
    752 x 691 - 73K
  • Chromecast is just hardware plug using modification of widely known protocol presented as something new. It does not run on ChromeOS. And ChromeOS is just simple Linux that runs Chrome browser.

• I heard Chromecast uses ChromeOS without any Android stuff. That is no JAVA api. Isn't Google ready to ditch Android?

• I still run an old Panasonic CRT tv, for smart features I have an old desktop running Ubuntu with s-video out.

And?

I slightly doubt that CRT + Ubuntu desktop is suitable for anyone but old geek :-)

• I still run an old Panasonic CRT tv, for smart features I have an old desktop running Ubuntu with s-video out.

Perfectly good for the kids to watch cartoons and pbs nature videos.

• Google TV, which was first launched in 2010, will no longer see any subsequent product release in the future as Google has already merged its Google TV team with the Android team, and the company will also turn to push TV products adopting Android operating system in the future with the Chromecast being one of the star products.

Surprise, surprise. Especially to Samsung and LG with their vastly outdated SmartTV approached.

Chinese manufacturers instead supply full fledged Android 4.2 with their TV sets.

• Thanks to the messaging capabilities of HomeChat, new LG smart appliance owners will be able to receive real time status updates from their refrigerators no matter where they are. Family members can upload photos to the fridge from their smartphones using LINE and displayed on the refrigerator’s display panel.

What’s more, Smart Manager transforms the refrigerator into a complete food management system.

It is even worse than I thought.

• Samsung’s voice interaction service, which understands natural languages, is currently available in 11 countries. In 2014, the service will expand into 12 new markets, making the service available in a total of 23 countries worldwide. Samsung has also made the service more convenient by focusing on the most frequently-used functions and taking into consideration user’s usage patterns.

Samsung’s 2014 Smart TV models deliver significantly improved voice interaction and motion control features so that our consumers will be able to enjoy our Smart TV more intuitively,” said Kyungshik Lee, Senior Vice President of the Service Strategy Team of Visual Display Business, Samsung Electronics. “We will continue to develop content that integrates voice and motion recognition for added convenience.”

With the 2014 Smart TV, finding content is easier than ever. Users can change the channel in one step – by simply saying the channel number. They can even open a website or app using shortcuts. For reference, 2013 models require two steps to change TV channels: ‘Channel Change’ and ‘Channel Number’

OMG.

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=31581#sthash.zT3885Vq.dpuf

• LG is gearing up to debut a TV running its interpretation of the defunct smartphone OS. Speaking at a semiconductor event in Seoul, Korea, LG researcher Hong Sung-pyo revealed the company's first webOS product will be a new TV set for a CES reveal next month. The webOS-powered TV will apparently run a 2.2GHz dual-core processor with 1.5GB of RAM, which will allow for multi-tasking features.

OMG.

LG and Samsung recently resemble Sony and Toshiba years ago.