Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • I've shot yesterday with a Canon 550D with Magic Lantern on it, with a vintage Pentax 55mm f2 and on it the focus peaking works flawlessly. I'm looking for a new camera and the G6 is the first on the list, but I'm also hope to use legacy lenses on it, Minolta and Canon (for the relatively cheap cost of them). Can someone who own the G6 and a ML hacked Canon make a comparison of their focus peaking? Without a strong FP it's really a difficult task using legacy lenses...

• Quite hard with G6 but somehow I recall that ML peaking is working better. With most wide aperture legacy lenses the peaking moment on G6 is minimal.

• Peaking works better on Canon ML, not even close..But I used peaking with the G6 yesterday along with the new 14-140 and it kinda worked, so it's not completely unusable, but yeah, it's not performing great with softer manual lenses.

• With the same Pentax 25mm c-mount, focus peaking did work on eyes and eyebrows this time. Aperture wide open at f1.4. It may have been because lighting was a bit better indoors this time and there was more distance between the face and the background. Do not fully understand it yet but it does work well in situations.

• @valdi99

When using the G6 as normal, the screen stays on, as you would expect.

When using the WIFI liveview during recording, the camera's LCD/LVF turns completely off after about 45-60 seconds, regardless of what you do with the camera itself. No button pushes or anything seem to stop it from turning off. Mine did not dim at all. It just turns off. If you are NOT recording, then the LCD does NOT turn off even though the WIFI liveview is still active. This only happened when recording.

Of course this isn't a problem IF you are using the WIFI liveview as your ONLY monitoring, but if you are a camera operator who is using the LCD/LVF AND a director is watching the stream over WIFI, then it sucks because the LCD turns off and you can't see your framing anymore.

• Recently I made LUT that recovers skin contrast and overall red tones on the GH3, I found out it also applies to the G6.

Reds were too light, Light reds were too pink and oranges were too Yellow...

Here is an exemple shot with the G6. Skin contrast didn't match the overall frame contrast.

What do you think?

GRADED.jpg
    1387 x 780 - 1M
    GRADED HUE ADJ.jpg
    1387 x 780 - 1M
  • @yak

Do you think the G6 gives a magenta cast and "pink" skin tone look like the GH3? I hope that's not the case.

Since the G6 uses the same sensor as the GH2, I was under the impression that the G6 doesn't give that chalky, plasticine look. Other users also report that the colors are punchier and more neutrally rendered straight out of camera.

• @jdluu23 G6 is more on the green side (if it's on any side) But I see very bright reds...

And yes I agree it is less chalky... at -3 contrast and up, but still a bit at -5,-4 .And the color of face's lips is weird... bright magenta weird at any contrast.

• @svart - thank you very much for a detailed response. Now it is clear to me.

• My G6 doesn't have the outright green cast that the GH2 had, but it has a more golden/yellow cast I think. I did have to push red midtones to make it match the GH2 better though.

• I'm in the market for a G6, so I've been following this topic and it's been very useful. There is one question I have regarding G6's video capabilities that it seems hasn't been covered, so here goes: can someone confirm what levels are used by G6 (0-255 or 16-235)? I'v seen in another topic someone stating that GH2 records levels 16-235 while GH3 records 0-255. Since G6's sensor is the same (or very similar) as GH2 it should be identical? Thanks.

• @lx324 - The G6 records full range 0-255.

• I would love to see a G6 patch that allows switching betrween PAL<->NTSC (as well as removing 29:59 limit).

I would donate again if it would make this happen sooner. Please rise your hand who else is up for this ;)

• All i want for christmass is hack!!

• Waiting to see hack also...G6 is becoming more and more popular - now it's the time to give it the edge :)

• Please add the languages support for the japanese G6. =)

• @valdi99: I'd spend a couple of bucks for supporting a G6 Hack, too :)

• I just had an internet chat with b&h. They expect other flavors of the g6 kit soon....for those in the US interested in the white w/pz lens , or hopefully kits with the new 14-140.

• +1 for a G6 Hack!! :)

• would donate for a hack also. Cant see it happening though, other older cams still waiting for a hack to....

• Can anyone comment on attaching an audio recorder like an Olympus LS-11 (or whatever else you have) to the G6 and then record audio live onto the video file (so not having to sync audio and video in post)? Is it possible to simply connect a 3.5mm jack from the headphone out into the mic input of the G6? Or is a 3.5mm attenuation cable required because of the input sensitivity in the camera? Thanks.

• @Qadri Try here: http://www.sescom.com/productlist.asp?cat=DSLR-Audio-Cables

I have a "LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON" and use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter on the GH2. It works well. Good cables, quality construction.

• Thanks. That cable does have the attenuation. So does it not work with a plain 3.5mm to 2.5mm lead?

If not then I guess I need the same one but 3.5mm to 3.5mm on the G6.

• Is it common that when noise reduction is set to like -3 even slight shadows suffer from grain/noise and with NR set to 0, the images seems to be very soft? Currently got no Idea how to reach the sharp and noiseless image quality from the hacked GH2.