Personal View site logo
24/192 Music make no sense
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • @sammy

I think we have few discussions on this. If you remove all except equipment it is mike and preamp quality (either in recorder or separate), ADC and recorder features are not very important unless it is utter cheap crap.

• got it, thanks guys)

• Remember that the analog audio chain is a weak link, even at 16/44. Indeed, one company (Wolfson) has built an excellent business by producing DACs which just sound better than the rest (even at 16 bit depth). Initially, Creative used the Wolfson chips in their early high-end MP3 systems (such as those I have used for a decade). Now I see that smartphones need higher quality audio too... and guess who is still able to make a better system...?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2261101/samsung-galaxy-s4-set-to-ship-with-wolfson-audio-chip

I have used 24/192 in distortion measuring equipment. It has measurably lower distortion than 16/48, but a human would never hear the difference.

• Remember that the analog audio chain is a weak link, even at 16/44. Indeed, one company (Wolfson) has built an excellent business by producing DACs which just sound better than the rest (even at 16 bit depth). Initially, Creative used the Wolfson chips in their early high-end MP3 systems (such as those I have used for a decade).

As far as I remember it is ESS that is on top now with their Sabre DACs, also TI is popular.

• This is a debate that has been going on for a long time and there have been tens of thousands of pages written about it. So I will add only a few lines to this.

First, music contains combination tones which result from harmonics. These tones form in the audible range from inaudible harmonics above the range of hearing. If you strip off the top harmonics, you remove the combination tones sounding one octave or more lower, and these then disappear from the way hear the recorded sound. Note the phrase "the way we hear the recorded sound", because that isn't the same as the sound itself. Sound waves form in the ear as well.

Second, you cat (and you dog, but cats can hear higher) can hear up to 10.5 octaves, so if you pets are important to you, make sure to capture those higher frequencies.

60 is a very good sampling rate for you and you pets.

• First, music contains combination tones which result from harmonics. These tones form in the audible range from inaudible harmonics above the range of hearing. If you strip off the top harmonics, you remove the combination tones sounding one octave or more lower, and these then disappear from the way hear the recorded sound. Note the phrase "the way we hear the recorded sound", because that isn't the same as the sound itself. Sound waves form in the ear as well.

I see logic problems here. Is harmonics or distortions resulting from >20Khz stuff is present in sound it'll be recorded. Recorder, unfortunately can't "make them disappear" :-)

Second, you cat (and you dog, but cats can hear higher) can hear up to 10.5 octaves, so if you pets are important to you, make sure to capture those higher frequencies.

LOL.

• @vitaliy

Here's my math. It doesn't matter if it is phase or time difference because the reproduction system has to recreate it.

The problem with my math is that it gives a sampling rate of 15.5x2 or 31KHz

The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference states: "The normal human threshold for detection of an ITD is up to a time difference of 10μs (microseconds)"

Which suggests that we can detect locational differences much smaller than I originally stated.

TimeDelay.png
    2358 x 899 - 146K
  • @andyharris

I am really confused that you want to tell here. In reality most music is recorded to the mono mikes (condenser mostly), processed and panned (in stereo) by sound guys. Things that you seems to propose is that we need higher frequency for absolute pinpoint localizations of individual sound sources.

You can just get normal headphones, get good binaural demo and just see that your math and claims are not true (as most probably you make error in localization resolution). May be small numbers you refer originate for near pain volumes were frequency of signal does not matter much. But it seems like it is not so:

If the ears are located at the side of the head, similar lateral localization cues as for the human auditory system can be used. This means: evaluation of interaural time differences (interaural phase differences) for lower frequencies and evaluation of interaural level differences for higher frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

• Graphs - arse - I like Hendrix and Led Zep however "inadequately" they were recorded, hell a 58 strat would be decimated by graphs and tests these days, but they hugely sound better than a modern variation - and yes I have both - and same with 60's Les Pauls Teles Thunderbird and 335 etc and yes I have them too as well as their modern variations.

If it sounds good it is aint it?

Similar thing with soft synths and the largely pointless discussion about what's "better" I have a Jupiter 4 6 8 MKS50 80 101 3030 909 blah - Jupiters are a fuck to tune very session - same balls about amps - have a Jensen AC30 JCM50 and a room of other old glowing shit - are they better ? No Idea - what get used - what sounds best fastest.

Highest earning single last year (on ipad?) - made originally on garage band and a shit old epi acoustic - how do I know ? leave it you you to discuss. If you only knew !

Just use whatever sounds right - fuck trends and graphs.

Fuck spending 1000s on speakers et al - your room and your ears bugger it up far more than buying a 10k set of monitors can ever do. I spend more on a room than gear when I build a new space. Buy some speakers you like and know them with stuff you made or know intimately - cost a tenner don't matter! Back to Led Zep - their greatest album was mixed on a broken Yamaha amp with NS10's (also battered)

Hey but what do I know !

Concentrate on making shit not talking about it!

Happy New Year - Im back to me mix working like a jobber, in the box on PooTools, as 90% of everything you hear is submitted these days not a valve or 192k in sight.

• Fuck spending 1000s on speakers et al - your room and your ears bugger it up far more than buying a 10k set of monitors can ever do. I spend more on a room than gear when I build a new space. Buy some speakers you like and know them with stuff you made or know intimately - cost a tenner don't matter! Back to Led Zep - their greatest album was mixed on a broken Yamaha amp with NS10's (also battered)

Huh. Spending on speakers is fun thing to do. At least it produce real difference usually :-)

Also, it is clear that good treatment is requiring for mixing, much less is ok if you just listen to things. Brain and ears are quite good dealing with reflections. if you have good amount of books, various stuff and soft furniture it is not bad already. Cheap way for mixing is monitors directed to you and being near field while back fall being far away and with some simple sound proofing.

• @DrDave

no, they are not recorded.

In this case it is just myth.

As if harmonics or distortions are in audible range they will be recorded.

• @Vitaliy frequency differentials have been studied since Tartini mentioned them in the 18th century. I personally can hear them, and most trained musicians can hear them. In addition, there is an extensive body of literature in physics on the subject.

However, since the effects are produced as part of hearing, the idea takes some getting used to. There is a similar branch of science concerning "filling in" of details by the visual cortex, but combination tones are considered "cochlear" rather than "perceptual", and as such represent physical phenomena. There are some who believe that the tones are primarily neurological.

Combination tones, like harmonics, comprise part of the texture of music. If you take them away, the music will sound different--maybe better in some cases.

Church organs have pipes that generate combination tones. So for the sine wave like character of the organ pipes, the combination tones add a dimension to the sound. Since the tones are used for low pitches, an accurate recording can be made that, when played on a very high quality speaker will generate the tones. They can be reproduced on very accurate headphones.

However, resultant tones derived from upper harmonics cannot be recorded or generated without increasing the recorded range by at least an octave.

I remember the first day in physics class when these tones were described as being "in ear" as opposed to being "in air". Takes some getting used to.

Very basic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_tone

• @DrDave

On your link I do not see anything that you describe, instead all that is described can be recorder with easy.

However, since the effects are produced as part of hearing, the idea takes some getting used to.
    I remember the first day in physics class when these tones were described as being "in ear" as opposed to being "in air". Takes some getting used to.

Any links to scientific article, explanation of that you are talking at all?

• This guy set up a way to test if you can hear them http://www.phy.davidson.edu/fachome/dmb/wmpviz/beats/beats.htm

There are detailed books on acoustics, like Benade, they are pretty dry. Benade's page at Stanford: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Benade/BenadeHome.html

Here is an interesting article, it is simplified a bit that focuses on difference tones: http://hjertmann.com/Combination_Tones_as_Harmonic_Material.pdf

Of course, I could be hearing things. I don't hear as well with the tin foil.