Personal View site logo
All is good, kind of, may be
  • The data leave no doubt that the inexpensive oil is vanishing quickly. Conventional oil production peaked in 2008 at about 70 million barrels a day and is declining by about 3.3 million barrels a day, every year. Saudi Arabia pumps about 10 million barrels a day. The math says a new Saudi Arabia has to be found every three years to offset the conventional oil drop off. Good luck.

About one-quarter of conventional production comes from the 20 biggest fields and most of them are in decline, some precipitously. North Sea oil production peaked at 4.5-million barrels a day in 1999. This year’s production is forecast at between 1.2 million and 1.4 million barrels a day. The so-called Forties field, the North Sea’s biggest, has been losing 9 per cent a year for more than 20 years. Ditto two other North Sea biggies – Brent and Ninian.

Great Britain shed its status as an energy powerhouse about a decade ago, when it became a net energy importer. Its energy import bill is horrendous. Last year, Britain spent almost £22-billion ($38-billion) buying foreign oil, natural gas and coal.

Repeat all over the world, from Mexico to Indonesia. Indonesia’s oil production has been in steady decline since the mid-1990s, and the country has gone from oil exporter to importer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/inexpensive-oil-vanishing-at-alarming-rate/article15966497/

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I work on the Ninian in the North Sea. They have a plan to increase production over the next 10 years. Companies are heavily investing in the North Sea again, and I would imagine this will only increase production. I don't think it will ever get back to 4.5 million though. Those days are long gone....

• They have a plan to increase production over the next 10 years. Companies are heavily investing in the North Sea again, and I would imagine this will only increase production.

Yep, they are invested. But last time I checked EROI is going down rapidly and overall left volumes are not big.