Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @formalhaut3 very nice! i think its not possible to make the gh2 look less videoish than you did. nice shots!

which lenses did you use?

• I just did as direct of a comparison as I can, between Drewnet T9 SH mode and Moon T7 (set E) H mode for my high motion Glidecam'ing purposes. This was all on 14mm, and best results between f8 and f11 (not exactly sure where the ultimate sweet spot is with this lens, but but it does a pretty nice job for the cheapy that it is.

Moon T7 H mode records at a slightly lower bitrate than the SH mode on Drewnet, but with AFC and OIS active on the Panny 14-42, it is at least as reliable in my testing. Most importantly, the Moon T7 H mode seems to have a barely discernible edge in image quality over the Drewnet SH mode.

And then if I want to run in manual focus I can still bump up to SH and get almost 2 minute shot length. At f11, the depth of focus seems plenty sufficient, and the detail is quite awesome.

I'm still struggling with the question of whether my 32gig and 8gig 95MB/s cards are limiting my shot length. It seems that the highest bitrate 24H runs fine at over twice the bitrate going onto the card...... Thoughts?

• @FrankPisolo grazie mille! :) don't remember which set, sorry,i installed the patch a while ago..(edit:actually i think set e) @Mirrorkisser thanks a lot man, moon t7 and canon fd 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2.0, don't remember if i also used a 12mm f2 Oly for the wide shots

btw, if someone feels like watching the all video (8min long) here it is, it is very dance oriented

• Moon T7 and Davinci Resolve - a way too yellow image to start with, but it works in the end.

nacher.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 426K
    vorher.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 843K
  • Drewnet T9

• password: leica

• @Tjabo are you saying that 24H on Moon is a lower bitrate than DrewNet's 720p60 SH mode? I find that hard to believe lol. Your last sentence confused me a bit regarding the bitrate of the footage an the Sandisk Extreme Pro card. Bear in mind that the cards are rated at MB/s while recording codecs are rated at Mb/s (lowercase b) MegaBytes vs Megabits. There are 8 bits per Byte, so a codec with a 100Mb/s data rate is actually using 12.5 MB/s (speed measurement of memory cards) but it is common practice that for reliability, a card should be able to write 1.5x the speed of the video codec, so in theory you should be able to record something like Spizz on a card rated at 20MB/s write speed.

• @IVIaverick52, I apologize for the confusing sentence, I swear that I knew what I meant when I wrote it! Lol

At any rate, what I meant was that my camera and card seem fine with 24H mode on AFC at 148Mb/s, so I take that to be an indication that the card can safely accept writing at that bitrate.

Then when I bump down to the SH modes that are causing "write speed" errors and stopping the recording, it is at bitrates between 43Mb/s (Drewnet T9 SH mode), and 74Mb/s (Moon T7 FSH mode). This is what I was trying to get at in that confusing sentence is that Moon T7 24H mode writes to my card successfully at over twice the bitrate of the modes that are causing recording to quit because of "write speed" errors. I hope that is written in a way that better conveys what I meant, it's a bit confusing still! :-)

Regarding my cards, they are both the Extreme Pro "95MB/s" cards with similar test results to each other, but upon speed testing with Crystal Disk Mark the results do vary wildly depending on the type of test. At BEST, my cards have sequential read speeds in the 96MB/s range, but the very best sequential write speeds are only about 83MB/s. Using my 8 gig card as an example, for 512K the read speed is 87.5MB/s, but the write speed is already down to 5.14MB/s. The results for 4K are 6.7MB/s read, and 1.7MB/s write, and for the 4KQD32 test (whatever that means) the read speed is 6.3MB/s, and the write speed is .91MB/s.

Basically I have no idea what this means as far as which type of test gives relevant results, but from the fact that the camera seems to write the Moon T7 24H files just fine at 148Mb/s, I think that means that it is accepting at least 18.5MB/s of data to write to the card. Very confusing to me, can anyone explain this stuff?

Thanks in advance! :)

• @schlanger77, those first couple of shots are striking with beautiful colors and amazing bokeh. Just when I was thinking that f1.4 has a completely unusable shallow depth of field for any real purpose though, those indoor shots were real good with it. I guess it was just a matter of camera distance from the subject?

Was this all shot with 24H?

• @Tjabo You need to keep in mind that MB (megabytes) is different than Mb (megabits). So say your 95MB/s cards write at the advertised 95MB/s. Moon Trial 7 (according to the OP) generally maxes out at 147Mb/s at its highest settings. That is 18.375MB/s. To reach 95MB/s, a patch would have to write out at about 760Mb/s. Depending on the scene you're shooting, you'll actually rarely hit the high end of what the camera is outputting. So, according to the maths, you shouldn't have issues. What I personally believe is the problem is not the card, but the processor in the camera (or something to that extent). Between constant auto-focus, a 60fps readout and the higher bitrates, SH mode gets a little wonky. Have you tried using manual focus, non m4/3 lenses or single auto-focus?

• After installing Moon T7 and picking up a Nikon - Micro 4/3 Speedbooster on the same day, I feel like I'm working with a completely new camera. This must be the ultimate GH2 patch, and I'm very glad that I decided to hold off on buying a GH3 or BMCC. Sure they're good cameras, in some (maybe most) ways better, but I expect the GH2 will do just fine for now, and I'll hold off on upgrading until the next-gen BMCC or Panasonic cameras start coming out.

Attached are some ungraded frame grabs (using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI on a Speedbooster)

Tests.Still004.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Tests.Still043.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Sangye Those frame grabs look amazing.

• @Sangye, I agree that those screen grabs are incredible!!! Is this a Metabones speed booster you're using, or a different brand?

@powderbanks thank you for the reply! I think you are correct that it seems like something in the camera's processor causing the problem. AFS gives me almost as short of a record time as AFC (which I didn't expect, so AFS must be on the job waiting for you to push the button but still processing focus information the whole time), and on my camera the Panny 12-42 in manual focus mode gives me about the same record time as Nikon 50mm AF lens on an adapter (in manual focus obviously).

I haven't tried Nebula yet, but I really love the video with Moon T7, even if I run it in H mode so I can run AFC because I'm letting someone else run the camera or something.

• @Tjabo yes, it's a Metabones Nikon F to Micro Four Thirds adapter. The dog still is from footage shot on a Vivitar 75-250mm f/3.8-4.5, and the lovely woman was shot on a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI-s. Both of these are old, cheap, not particularly good lenses. Really goes to show what the Metabones does to IQ, and just how high quality this patch is. Individual frame grabs look like full HD jpegs saved at 100 quality.

• I am 100% agree with you guys moon T7 is amazing. frame grab is from a shot done with Lumix 14-45mm Gvario

kedilerim01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
  • @cjdincer That's one of the best shots I've ever seen come off a Lumix lens. Looks like pro level image you'd see on a properly shot TV commercial. The stuff people are doing with Moon T7 these days is really great. Love the hacked GH2 - so many types of high quality images are possible with it.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks for the kind words; but all credit goes to @Vitaly and @Driftwood. I think Lumix lenses are more than enough to do any kind of project; I also have legacy lenses they have a nice texture to them, but I love the transparency and sharpness of Lumix lenses.

• *** Latest News ****

moon T8 is coming very soon :-)

• Very good news Mister driftwood ! I'I'm very impatient to test this excellent patch with an amelioration on pal 25 i.

Thanks for your works.

• great news, hope we have fortified HBR and 720p modes that everyone is waiting for. :-)

• @orgie18, phenomenal video! Was the GH2 part of it all shot in 24H? If so, what shutter speed did you use to get such nice motion into your footage?

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters