Personal View site logo
Where Are All the Women?
  • The average British woman spends about £279 on beauty and cosmetics but she spends about a third more, £394 on technology products.

Women spend more on smartphones than men, they spend one and a half times as much on technology and influence 57% of new technology purchases.

Yet woman are super rare on any tech related communities. One of the theories is that due to brain difference they rarely interested in intricate things and do not choose products on set of features and opinions (until this opinions are from their friends and TV divas). Same theory state that their approach is one of the reasons behind yearly models change in almost all tech sectors. as they always want latest and newest thing and even if it will be their boy toy they won't approve if it is not new and latest.

Via: http://www.theguardian.com/women-in-leadership/2013/nov/15/womens-magazines-ignoring-tech

• 90 Replies sorted by
  • Or perhaps they can't be bothered with the machism and testosterone on forums like this one?

• @dtr

LOL. "Machism and testosterone" :-)

• Vitaliy please use one of 25 already existing discriminating topics, lol :)

• Vitaliy please use one of 25 already existing discriminating topics

It is not "discriminating topic". In fact, female brain is just different, and not brain only.
    So, all this "we are same, let's make careers, fuck babies, etc" is discriminating.

• how many of you guys hang out on purse forums?

• how many of you guys hang out on purse forums?

I am constant visitor :-) Searching for replacement to my pink genuine leather to one more fashionable and trendy.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Haha! Best response ever

• One of the theories is that due to brain difference they rarely interested in intricate things and do not choose products on set of features and opinions

Two things are more than obvious, one is that there are very few women interested in tech talks, and the other one is that we are physiologically different (that only idiot can deny, and rarely anyone does). But, I'm not satisfied with simply combining those two facts and drawing something out of it. I doubt that you will get an answer to the question in the topic title by jumping to conclusion based on what seems a predefined conception of biological differences that no matter what propagate to our abilities, interests etc.

It is much more complex sociocultural issue.

I'm so not gonna get into that flame here, since I have red your previous statements on similar topics, and I'd just like to very friendly point out that those few women who are not just into purses and pink iphones might feel a bit threatened and uncomfortable by super confident men who think that their "hardware" is just not up to the task. I deeply respect your work, and your efforts to administrate this site in a way that I very much like. But, I don't get if you want women here and do you care if there are women involved or would just like to make a statement, that many of us here already learned about in last 3 years?

• Maybe because women tend to have much richer social lives than men, with less need to seek comfort and companionship in imaginary online relationships.

If there really are purse forums, does a not-yet-released Prada get 100,000 hits, with the ladies checking in 8 times a day to confirm its sensor dimensions? I doubt it.

• might be too busy running the world. Quick, call Derek Flint! :)

Since the beginning of human civilization, men have been the dominant sex. But now, for the first time, a host of indicators suggest that women are not only achieving equality with men but are fast emerging as the more successful sex of the species. Whether in education, employment, personal health or child rearing, statistics point to a rise in the status and power of women at home, in the workplace, and in traditional male bastions such as politics.

"Women-operated, venture-backed high tech companies average 12 percent higher annual revenues. They also use on average one-third less capital than male counterparts' startups."

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/we-need-more-women-in-tech-the-data-prove-it/280964/

• yes, Vitaliy where are they? Tell fast !!! :P

• But, I don't get if you want women here and do you care if there are women involved or would just like to make a statement, that many of us here already learned about in last 3 years?

This is simple. I just know facts and have position. And from my experience all smart woman don't give a fuck about it, as they know that it is true.

Since the beginning of human civilization, men have been the dominant sex. But now, for the first time, a host of indicators suggest that women are not only achieving equality with men but are fast emerging as the more successful sex of the species

And this, unfortunately, won't last long. All the changes you see happened because suddenly plenty of resources became available, and females are good for preserving them, distribution them. Males are good for getting them. And as resources will be biggest issue in coming years things start to change very fast.

• And from my experience all smart woman don't give a fuck about it, as they know that it is true.

I know few smart women who do give a fuck, and they question if it is true. Me too! I'm liberal, leftist, feminist, atheist, but obviously missing a piece of brain.

@maxr LOL :)))

• know few smart women who do give a fuck, and they question if it is true

Problem is, you can't "have opinion" other biology. Nature is suck strange thing that every difference is here for a reason. And it is not bad to be different. :-)

I'm liberal, leftist, feminist, atheist, but obviously missing a piece of brain.

All in one? Btw all things in this list are only possible during sharp rise and plenty of resources. As things are changing all will return to natural way.

• Maybe because women tend to have much richer social lives than men

I wouldn't call it "richer"... maybe just "more". Due to all the vindictive behavior, and bridge-burning they do. :) They've got to make up for it with quantity. But, the actual "quality" of most women's social interaction (in value to society on the whole) seems to be very low. Although, on the other hand... when it comes to keeping families together, planning family-events, and such... it seems to be very high.

So, to sum it up based on my observations and studies, men seem to actually be better at social interaction on society at large (macro/strategy/business)... and women better at family, smaller-tribal unit, interaction (micro/subjective).

with less need to seek comfort and companionship in imaginary online relationships.

This is about 100% opposite of any measure of observable reality. Didn't you read the stats posted "one and a half times MORE on technology"? ...technology, which is these days is all about social interaction. Smartphones, twitter, instagram, are like DRUGS for women's psyches.

Anyways, I don't think any of us "dudes" on here are looking for "companionship". We talk cameras, tech, politics, film-making, philosophy, ect... i.e. just business stuff.

And this, unfortunately, won't last long. All the changes you see happened because suddenly plenty of resources became available, and females are good for preserving them, distribution them. Males are good for getting them.

I also agree with this... as I mostly do on your biology/evolutionary topics.

I'm liberal, leftist, feminist, atheist

So you just don't like reality? :)

That's one thing I don't get... how some atheists (which I am) believe in evolution, but also feminism... which basically slaps evolution in the face and says "fuck biology". Evolution (i.e. REALITY) and feminism DO NOT work together. They are diametrically opposed.

This is the danger of Feminism (post-modernism, leftism) in science and objective studies...

• And it is not bad to be different. :-)

I don't believe that people are or should be the same, just equal 'de jure' and equal in common sense.

Btw all things in this list are only possible during sharp rise and plenty of resources.

Unfortunately yes, you are right. As is art, culture, education...

• just equal 'de jure' and equal in common sense.

What does it mean to "be equal"? Such thing just does not exist. I know, some elites in some countries try to inject as much of this ideas in small children so they could switch off their senses and ignore all they see around.

• So, to sum it up based on my observations and studies,

I'm sure women the world over will take your views to heart, coming as they do from a guy with exhaustive experience of the world, and whose perceptions are 100% in accord with measurable reality.

One is tempted to point out here that women also tend to be a lot more tactful and modest than men, but that goes without saying.

• Evolution (i.e. REALITY) and feminism DO NOT work together.

???

"Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women."

• "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women."

Problem here for society to survive you need about 2.3 childrens per one woman. And they must have attention of their parents and their presence, not toys they buy being constantly for money they got at work.

So, tell me exactly how this equality is possible?

I understand how it is possible if you feed baby with artificial shit, think that someone else must play with him and educate him, and if you have one baby in family. But this is not good and natural. This is just horrible.

• They just want the same rights as men, can't see anything wrong about that

• They just want the same rights as men, can't see anything wrong about that

What you mean under "same rights"?

• Here's one of my thoughts on the subject, drawing from another technology area: video games.

In 2005 I was at the Game Developer's Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, which also played host to various awards ceremonies. While there were many more men there than women, women were still represented at every level of involvement from casual observer through entry level content creation up through to producers and (to a less frequent extent) executives. Nonetheless, the rhetoric and tone of several aspects was clearly male-targeted, including jokes about strippers and felatio by people involved in some of the awards ceremonies. Keep in mind, this is at what is considered to be one of the most serious and professionally oriented events the industry had to offer. It didn't take long being there to feel like the environment was actually discouraging potential involvement by women that might have attended if the event were (in a non-patronizing way) more friendly towards women, or at the very least a little less obviously skewed towards men.

I'm not a woman, and even if I were to experience life as one, I would only be one sample. It's very hard to accurately read what effect every variable will have on a large group of people that is different from us. But if I look at the reasons I've contributed in various online forums for a long time, I'd say the quality of the information and tone of the discourse played a huge part. But another part is the extent to which my peers encouraged me to participate or look for such things.

I don't know what I would think as a woman reading through this thread. But I can't help but feel that a lot of the comments made here would lead me to infer that either

1. I'd have to spend a huge amount of my time trying to update outdated concepts of gender roles just to be able to engage in unfettered discussion of the subjects I actually came to talk about or
    2. that what passed for humor on this site was of such poor taste that I would have little reason to filter through it.
  • I'd have to spend a huge amount of my time trying to update outdated concepts of gender roles just to be able to engage in unfettered discussion of the subjects I actually came to talk about

At first we need to fuck such words as "gender".

Difference here is that I hate "politically correct" things no one shares deep inside. People are just afraid that people around won't agree (due to media and elites pressure).

We had some discussion about it. And clear numbers show that, unfortunately, biggest reason to have woman working aside man was not to offer them equal rights. Quite reverse. It was made to reduce actual wages of workers (in fact keeping same real household income, but having two working people now) and replace real personal care and real family by bad artificial some surrogates . Other idea was to significantly reduce birth rate also.