Personal View site logo
GRAVITY
  • Imax 3d

This is it - this is the real deal*

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • Great entertaining movie with awesome vicarious thrills. The POV's were breathtaking - I hope more movies employ the camera techniques this movie has.

• I look forward to premiere in my country.

• It is not SF, it is a melodrama. I liked it.

• Interesting point inqb8tr. We should investigate in SF definition: a plot with scientifically impossible or not yet possible events or a fiction where scientific aspects ave a main role?

• I think it's closer to the first definition. Gravity is based on totally possible scenario, probably happening up there as we speak (repairs etc). The main plot is quite realistic.

What I find to be science-fiction (now metaphorically) in that movie are superhuman powers of main protagonists, their awesomeness, personal sacrifice, bravery... It is a political lullaby.

I made a slightly imprecise statement in my previous post though, SF can be a melodrama, in fact, most are.

• Great film. VERY intense.

I felt the film was about a state of mind that actual realism. Some have nitpicked scientific inaccuracies. I say they missed the point.

They have just released Cuaron's sons companion piece that explains the strange radio conversation involving dogs and babies :-)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gravity-spinoff-watch-side-sandra-657919

• Its a great movie, but with a great hype, saled as a masterpiece and only its a good movie. It is a sin to place beside '2001'.

The story its like Paulo Coelho go to the space.

• The story its like Paulo Coelho go to the space

Hahahh :))

• Alien: In Space No One Can Hear You Scream

Gravity: In Space, George Clooney hears ya. Comin' to get ya. No worries! ... Well, worry 'til he gets to ya!

Jonas Cuaron Gravity short film

In a pivotal scene in Gravity, Sandra Bullock's character Ryan Stone, trapped inside a Russian space capsule with little hope of survival, makes contact with a male voice speaking via radio in a foreign language. What unfolds on the other end of that fractured conversation, complete with a barking dog and a crying baby, is the subject of a short film from Jonas Cuaron, son of director Alfonso Cuaron, who co-wrote the screenplay for Warner Bros.' $500 million-grossing awards contender with his father.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/jonas-cuarons-short-film-aningaaq-657913

http://screenrant.com/gravity-spinoff-short-film-aningaaq-online-oscars/

• it was the biggest disappointment of this year for me. Beautiful and nice to watch but in film category not only picture is count. It should be a short film made from highlights from it - 20min max. Dialogs and story were dreadful so short version would be more acceptable. Avatar compere to this its master pice in terms of story/dialogs and was actually more beautiful.IMO as a viewer! I would change channel if I could :)

• Agreed. Minutes of amazing images, ruined by suddenly really, really bad compositing. Sometimes IMAX is not your friend.

Then the story is, well... Well at least she ended a muddy mess.

• Exactly where was bad compositing?

• All razzle and dazzle and no story. Paulo Coelho goes to space indeed!

• ...glad you asked. It could have been a great movie if he would have had the balls to not make a hollywood ending. If , at the end , when sandra was pulling herself onto the shore like a amphibian , she would have awakened , just like after her hallucination with clooney, and she would still be trapped inside a dysfunctional capsule without any hope of survival...then it would have been a great movie ! As it was...it was just another remake of Rocky !

• If , at the end , when sandra was pulling herself onto the shore like a amphibian , she would have awakened , just like after her hallucination with clooney, and she would still be trapped inside a dysfunctional capsule without any hope of survival...

Nope. She must awake and realize that all this crap was result of heavy drugs overdose.

• was result of heavy drugs overdose.....

given to her inside a ultra topsecret nasa training program ?

Well, I like the futility of my ending, considering we're all metaphysically trapped inside our private capsules doomed to certain burnup reentrys !

• I prefer the theory that all she experiences after turning off the air is a hallucination during her final moments before death.

• I prefer the theory that all she experiences after turning off the air is a hallucination during her final moments before death.

It looks like heavy drugs induced hallucination right from the start to the finish. Your idea could work if it was bearable before this moment, but it was all crap from the start.

A much more realistic and metaphorically satisfying scenario...but then he wouldn't have won any oscars ! Or like Kubrick, only one for special effects !

• It's no 2001 that's for sure, I was just there for the eye candy. I think the weight of the director influenced the accolades for story and performance here beyond its merit but I was at least happy that he and Lubezki were respectful to the folks who actually made the picture what it is, for better or worse.