Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @dpb

The main reason is you have 75% of the people coming from GH2s and 7Ds that just throw on some shitty Film Convert grade and call it a day.

Everyone thinks its a point and shoot camera. It's not and I'm cool with that.

• once the edit is done on 99 - they'll turn me loose on it... and then... well, I guess we'll see. The one test I did looks promising.

• Ha. Fromage...

• Is it just me or are there a lot of bad footage samples out there for the BMPCC? I've seen some gems that give me hope, and the reviews seem to be favorable... but there's a fair bit of junky looking tests on vimeo.

hm, seems like what's in front and behind the camera is still more relevant than the camera itself ;)

• @shian How close are they?

• More grading tests..

• Hello does anybody know if it's possible to change the kelvin temp on the BMPCC in the menu and get a proper reading when cycling through the menu because there is no live view mode.

• Does anyone else own both cameras? 2.5K and Pocket? I'm curious which one you like more when it comes down to final image...

Super curious to hear some thoughts on this.

• @kholi I do and I'm not really sure. I do like the grain of the pocket better than the 2.5k for some reason, though there's more of it in the pocket. I want to shoot with raw on the pocket before I make any final judgments though. It will be interesting to see them used together in the pilot I worked on with Shian. How well they cut and whatnot.

• Doh I keep forgetting that I'm shooting RAW on Pocket.

I guess this is a question/discussion that should take place after RAW's released.

• Agreed but I guess ProRes to ProRes is fine. I would just like to see 2.5k ProRes to Pocket RAW.

• The differences you see in ProRes and RAW on the 2.5K, you see in the two on the smaller camera. Only, and this is just my opinion, the differences seem to be a bit more exaggerated on the Pocket Camera so far.

• Anybody else having trouble with cieco7's OCT-18 adapter on BMPCC? I tried to mount it today but it was impossible... Putting it inside the mount was no problem but no chance to rotate it into lock position. Once I succeeded in rotating it a little bit it almost got stuck and the metal squeaked very unhealthy. The adapter mounts flawlessly on my GH2...

• Is that the red one? I am having the same issue.

• @Kholi, "Only, and this is just my opinion, the differences seem to be a bit more exaggerated on the Pocket Camera so far."

Meaning the jump in quality from ProRes to RAW is more pronounced on the Pocket? That's good to hear.

• Yeah, but that's just me and none of the other testers have made this comment, so take it with a grain of whatever!

Given the 2-2.5mb of frame data that the Pocket pulls down, how nice the image looks, I probably wouldn't shoot ProRes with it anymore and just treat it as if I were shooting a RAW only camera. That's me, of course, and not everyone is going to agree especially with the price of appropriate cards/storage.

• @kholi are you saying it does 2.5mb a frame when shooting RAW? Which would be about 3.5 gb/minute at 24fps? Is that right?

I could get 18 minutes on each of my 64gb Cards then.

• \/ What he said. I guess the guy who has been shooting RAW would know best :)

• @kingmixer -- You'll average around 18-20 minutes on a full 64gb card.

I'm on 32gb cards and I typically get 9.5 - 10.5 minutes a card. It's actually not too bad.

Looking at a string of DNGs from about two weeks ago, I'm steady at 1.8 - 2mb a frame.

• @kholi Does RAW demands 95MB/s or it works alright with 45MB/s? Thanks.

• 95mb/s cards. 45 wont read at all

• @kholi

Don't suppose you've given the R95 W90mb/s toshiba Xceria cards a try? They are much cheaper than sandisk in my area (Under $50 for a 32Gb card) so it would be very nice if they work.

• @Cid 45MB/s only work for prores. Any card questions can be answered by checking the blackmagic's FAQ on their website. Stick to what they reccomend or you'll have dropped frames.