Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • i've also got a vivitar 24 f2 and a 135 f2.5 FD, plus a vivitar 35-85 2.8 zoom... all sorts of potential.. wish i could get hold of a 17mm FD!

• Speed Booster + Canon FD 55mm f1.2 + GH3

No much light needed with this combo!

• Damn, missed the FD to MFT. Sold out already. Can't wait to get that thing behind my FD collection on the BMPCC.

I'll be excited to see what the 20 f2.8 and the 35 f2 look like, but the 24 f2 and 28 f2 should be nice too. I'm worried the 50's are still going to be just a little long for my liking on the pocket - I'm not using my 35mm f2 much on my pocket (though it's a great taking lens on S16 sensor for 2x Anamorphics).

• A little spooky clip, but it shows that the speed booster also works in this combination with a 1:1 macro

• So far loving the FD>M43/GH2 combination. My 50 1.4 is now the perfect low light walk around lens, with great separation between foreground, sharp area and background. It seems brighter and sharper for sure. The 28 f.28 is improved, as is my Vivitar 28 f2, but i'd love to get hold of a 20 f2.8 or even the 17 f4 to have a really nice wider option.

• @nobbystylus please post some frame grabs! I missed out not the first batch of FD to mft. Can't wait till they're in stock.

• Recieved my metabones Canon FD adapter yesterday. My only problem has been mounting an old breech lock canon 19mm FL lens. I think this might be due to the lens being a bit dented, but I have no problem mounting it to other m43 Canon adapter's. Anyone having similiar problems? All my other lenses fit perfectly, both old canon FL's as well as newer FD's. However my Canon FD snap lock stays wide open when mounted. Overall quality of the adapter is great, very sturdy. FYI, I had to remove the bottom mount of the metabones adapter to attach it onto my GH2.

• @itimjim, can you please let me know the results from your use of the speedbooster with your 80-200mm f2.8. I would like to use it on that lens, and want to know if you are having any issues. Thanks.

• My FD to m4/3 just arrived for my GH2. I've collected a fair amount of FD glass (I have an AE1) and two M42 lenses (M42 to m4/3 is on the way). Not sure when I'll have time to get out and do some tests with it, but looking forward to it.

• RAW photo sharpness > Sigma 18-35mm with Speed booster and GH3 > 400% , 100% and actual photo.

boot-400%.jpg
    1603 x 1198 - 174K
    boot-100%.jpg
    1590 x 1149 - 241K
    boot-actual-picture.jpg
    1586 x 1162 - 239K
  • So looks like they are back in stock with the FD to M4/3 adapter! I am sitting on the paypal payment confirm page and still trying to decide if I should or not... anyone?

• It depends if you have a lot of nice FD lenses. They are not super sharp. The 50mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.2 are nice, but otherwise maybe the Nikon G Speed booster with Nikons, or with Sigma 18-35 are a good choice. The Sigma is amazing!

• I have 14 FD lenses that's pretty much all I shoot with on my GH cameras. Do you mean they aren't super sharp with the adapter or in general? I think you're mistaken on that note as I have tested most of the Panasonic lenses and some Nikon vintage primes and the FDs excel in sharpness and contrast by far! I was just wanting to know if there were any more people who had received their adapters yet and could give me some feedback on did they notice a huge difference!

• @tylerknight I haven't shot anything yet, but consider it as doubling your lenses for $400. Take the Canon 50/1.8 lens for example; you could use it with your normal adapter and have a 100/1.8 (after crop factor) or a 71/1.3 with the Speedbooster.

As to sharpness, I'm not a pixelpeeper and demand razor sharp edges from corner to corner, so any slight corner softness/chromatic aberration/vignetting I can live with. Though center of images, you should see a slight increase in sharpness if anything.

• @tylerknight if you have 14 FD lenses I should say the FD Speed booster is a very good investment! I shot with FD lenses and GH2 and GH3 for two years now and experienced some unsharpness with the FD 28mm 2.8 and 24mm 2.8 and 135mm 2.8. Since shooting with the Sigma there is a significant difference in sharpness experience imo

• Minolta Lenses on SB:

• Thank you both gentlemen! That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to have to do it! For $400, it really makes sense I think.

• I did a test on vimeo with some lenses including FD, sigma, panasonic, nikon, tokina, minolta... without speed booster, but great for comparing sharpness and how to improve sharpness in post. The look of all lenses are fine, some sharper than others, but the look is a subjective choice... Sharpness improves a lot stopping down just one fstop,

It is called "how to improve image quality from soft lenses" on vimeo.

hope it help to perceive differences, I think SB for FD is good if you have these amazing lenses.

• I saw on ebay cheap speedbooster adapter, saying the same things reduce focal length by 0,72, gives 1 stop more etc. They cost around 100$. Did anybody tried out these ones? Are they any good?

• @gameb Let me guess, it's a Fotodiox?

• @vicharris Roxsen is one, but there are several ones. Just search for "speedbooster"...

• I was just being an ass. I would not touch any of those cheap speedboosters at all. They are all crap. The reason they can make them so cheap right now is they use a lesser quality of glass which in turn, destroys the image. I would only go with Meta or that other higher end one, I forgot the name but it's a little cheaper. Though they don't have a MFT to Nikon mount yet so I haven't tried it.

• If I've understood correctly, there's the Metabones Speedbooster (highend), Mitakon/zhongyi Lens Turbo (middle), and fotodiox/vizilex light cannon (low end, but making a mkII). Correct me if I'm wrong.

• @vicharris I think its just a question of a few months and there will be from China same quality speedbooster for a 100 bucks, 400 bucks is a nice price and they deserve it, but Chinese will do the ssame thing for cheap - same quality

• Isn't Metabones already a Chinese company?