Personal View site logo
Perfect sharp anamorphic set on OMD
  • This movie has been shoot during thursday 18th of october 2013, from the morning to the end of the afternoon, bringing my daughter at school, then filming with my students at university, then taking my daughter from her school.

I'm glad to have now I think the perfect anamorphic set combination for my baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens. I bought few weeks ago a used Qioptiq C-mount lens, usually used in industry. This lens is very sharp, even at it's fastest aperture (f1.6) and this wide aperture is still usable with the anamorphic on it ! Some of the shot of the movie had been taken at f1.6.

Here is a movie taken with this lens alone :

and the Filick'r album :

http://flickr.com/photos/43243778@N04/sets/72157636631334626/

It is not possible to screw directly the anamorphic lens on the Qioptiq prime lens because the front barrel is turning when you focusing. So I ordered a special machined flat step up ring to attach the two lens. I've unscrewed the ring on the Qioptiq that is maintening the glass, and replace with the special machined flat ring. Then I screwed on it the original small Berthiot clamp that can align the anamorphic lens. Then I put the baby Berthiot hypergonar in it.

The combination suit perfectly !

The weight of this anamorphic combo is quite light. The Hypergonar weight is 57 grams, the clamp maybe 20 grams, the Qioptiq is 210 gram, then the two filters (diopter + variable ND) and step up rings maybe 150 grams. So the total is around only 400 grams !

And finally using the OM-D with it's 5 axis stabilization system with an anamorphic combo is very useful !

• Olympus OM-D E-M5 5 1080P 30
    • Art 3 filter
    • no color correction
    • 1/50 shutter speed 200 asa
    • Qioptiq MeVis C C-mount 35mm f1.6 lens (in this movie the lens was set between f1.6 to f5.6)
    • baby Berthiot Hypergonar 1.75X anamorphic lens
    • Tokina diopter O.5
    • variable ND filter Cokin Pure Harmony
    • Xume magnetic filter attachments
    • Music : Siouxie and the Banshees "Night shift"
  • 5 Replies sorted by
  • Nice, unfortunately Bordeaux isn't that close to Aix to give me your lights... Is there any tutorial for editing the anamorphic shooting that I can watch of how I can work on? from my research on google I found nothing special, unfortunately... so I search here & there in forums, but again nothing that can help me until now that much concerning the post protuction.

• On cinema at the Bordeaux university, teaching editing on Premiere and compositing on AE, we also shot material before editing :)

• your pocket combination is simply great Seb, very nice job indeed! And every time I see your petite, I have a smile till behind my head :) You are a university teacher on?

• thanks @inqb8tr ! Yes we are really closed to the widest possibility with the baby Hypergonar. You can see a lot of movies with my baby Hypergonar on my vimeo's

• The setup itself looks very cool indeed. I have never before heard of this anamorphic adapter and this lens. Very nice looking footage, it has a very subtle vignette, but pretty wide one, if that's not added in post.