Personal View site logo
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • If you guys haven't seen it, I shot this on a pocket. Mostly Samyang 24/35/85, a Nikon 50/1.4 and a 14mm Panny. Metabones Speedbooster was used here an there.

Technical stuff and blog article: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/the-1-shooting-a-short-with-the-bmc-pocket-and-much-coffee/

• @FrankGlencairn Yeah, I saw it earlier and it's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting one of these cameras. Great short - very nicely shot and nice story as well.

• Hello everyone, I want to share my own experience with some c-mount lens. I've also metabones c-mount adapter and i'm waiting for another one

Computar 12.5-75 f1.2 (serial 174566) The lens vignetting, need modification for infinity focus too. I think the mod is feasible.

Rainbow 8-48 f1 - H6X8-II (serial 127745) Similar problem of the computar one.

Canon 17-102 f2 - V6x17 Perfect! Seems to work very fine, it's parfocal and i will publish some video during this weekend.

Angenieux 10mm f1.8 R21 Retrofocus Little vignetting, usable without modification (i use to crop the aspect from 1:85 to 2:35 so that kind of vignetting isn't a real problem for me)

Anyway I'm trying to collect any kind of useful information about the computar and the rainbow to make the modification... Ciao

• @matthere

It doesn't really look fisheye, shooting through the center like that. I don't particularly like the look of wide rectilinear lenses and prefer a bit of bow. Looks very usable to me for ultra-wide but not skater video wide ;)

• @FrankGlencairn Splendid work, really it's the internal mic with juicelink?

• It's external for sure, you can't use the internal with a pre-amp.

In my experience the audio in the BMPCC is quite OK when fed line level by a per-amp,

• I can confirm the audio is more than fine when feeding it line level audio. Just make sure the BMPCC's sensitivity is set to match the preamps output (i.e. -10 or +4)

• @redcomet Did you get a chance to post some footage with the Canon 17-102? I'd be interested to see how it performs at the wide end of the zoom.

• @digger tomorrow i will be in a splendid location to test out some lens! I hope the videos will be ready for sunday. Anyway i have some serious problem with Resolve 10 lite. At the beginning it seemed to work fine but now i have a problem with video hdd, all my clips are blackened and I've tried everything but I could not solve the problem..

• is there a difference between the schneider kreuznach arriflex cine xenon 16mm f2 and the schneider kreuznach xenon 16mm f2 (regarding the usability on the bmpc)? i have seen both lenses with a significant price difference...

• Quick test on canon 17-102

• Footage looks soft, feels very SD rather than HD when compared with images in The One (above)

• Probably the F22. Not bad for a very diffracted old lens, though.

Still considering getting one m'self to play around with... really wish the Kowa zooms worked, though.

• They come cheap, you should find one around 50,- Euro.

At f22 diffraction would soften it considerably on the small sensor.

• Hi guys, i'm thinking to take BMPCC (if it is possible...), and i have with me a CV 17,5mm. The crazy idea (for me) is that 50mm is simply too much (in fact i sold my panaleica 25mm to take the 17,5mm on Gh2 and Em5 system).

So i was thinking to the slr magic 12mm t1.6. Does anyone know if there's too much distortion with it? It would be a perfect 35mm equivalent.

Maybe will sell the Voigtlander for this. I know, it's the perfect lens, but not as wide as i would like to have on the Pocket sensor.

• I really like the slr magic 12mm in the pocket cam. It's wide enough that I can go hand held without the jitters and is fast enough to get decent shallow DOF when I want. The voigtlander 17.5 is nice too but too long for hand held without stabilization

• @grierdill

Thanks. But what about distortion? Just too much or can go without problems? I'm afraid of this cause would be my only "doitall" lens.

thanks.

• Playing around with my Black Magic Pocket Cam for the first time – thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and made it a quick audition video for an actress. The first shot is the voigtlander 25mm and the second, closer shot, is the voigtlander 50mm (m-mount with adaptor). Graded quickly in After Effects.

• @kingmixer

I love the skintones coming out of the camera. Gorgeous lenses. (shutter speed still looks 'off' though)

• thanks, I'll try playing with shutter speed and see if i figure it out. i think it was set to 180deg. Are you talking about needing to compensate for 60hz lighting?

• @kingmixer, there's a bug in the firmware that makes motion blur at 180 look more like 360. The workaround for right now is to shoot 172.8 instead.

• @Renovatio the distortion on the 12mm is negligible. I've never once noticed it even on interiors with lots of straight lines. The only thing I don't like about it is how small the focus ring is and the large amount of resistance it has. I think their new cine housing coming out soon will fix that though.

• @grierdill

Thanks

@Oedipax

I did not know this bug, hope they fix soon.

• @redcomet

Does the Canon 17-102 focus to infinity and is it parfocal?

• @oedipax I didn't know about this bug either. Thanks for sharing.