Personal View site logo
Sony A7 and A7r , FF gems, like GH3 but FF
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • @Brian202020:

Ok. "Mea culpa" ^^. 100% correct: It scales the 16:9 sensor area down. So: No line skipping is the case.

• @Tscheckoff

The GH2 and GH3 do not scale the entire image down like the RX10.

• @flablo: No. It´s not only you. ^^ Btw.: Also moire seems to be an issue - even with the Alpha 7. (At least with the actual pre-production firmware.) So -> Nice concept. But not very interesting for video shooters (at least at the actual state). The RX10 seems to be way more interesting. Fixed lens BUT it scales the whole image down to the Full-HD resolutin (like the GH2 / GH3 for example). So it SHOULD be way less prone to flare (and also the details / resolution should be on a very high level because of this).

• But ... am I the only one that after watching the Sony sample footage Youtube video (the one published by Vitaliy in page 1 of this thread) thinks that it looks terrible?

• @sohus I'm of the same opinion here, the glass is really holding back the seriousness of this tool. New adopters of this system would be crazy to go out and buy crop glass as a bridge for autofocus use (existing Nex users who already have glass investments make much more sense). That being said, once the lens system is in place this camera will be a no-brainer for stills photography use, it's a real technical marvel. Maybe Sigma will deliver fast, affordable FF mirrorless glass down the road. I could justify buying this for video if it wasn't a soft, moire machine as posted by The Camera Store, that's definitely a letdown.

• The D800E with lens will never look as small as the 36MP A7r with lens.

Sony-a7r-HAND.jpg
    1024 x 472 - 150K
    Sony-A7-with-28-70mm-lens-hand.jpg
    450 x 450 - 18K
  • And adapters are nice, but what's the use of this camera with a massive huge bulky lens? I would rather buy a D800E then.

Because you can't do same on D800E, mirrorless is much better suited to work with old manual glass (shorter flange distance, zooming and peaking, EVF, metering, etc). And drop this "massive huge bulky" thing. It is same full frame lenses with same size and very similar weight.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I am just saying that all the announced lenses are 1 stop slower than you would expect. A 24-70 F/4 is a B lens, the F/2.8 is what the professional photographer wants (look at other systems). For the 35mm, you would expect F/1.8 or F/2. Of course, full-frame has some advantages in terms of light gathering. And adapters are nice, but what's the use of this camera with a massive huge bulky lens? I would rather buy a D800E then.

I like where Sony is going but rather wait till 2015. Prices will come down and better lens choices will be available.

• @sohus

Yeah 1 stop slower makes no sense. It just doesn't work that way. Also lenses can be adapted, they don't need to be optimized. If you want to use all the auto features of the camera you can adapt canon glass via the Metabones EF to E-Mount Smart adapter. You can also adapt Nikon and any other full frame glass via adapters, but they will be manual.

Note: the current Metabones Smart Adapter (version 3) only works with APS-C so you'd have to use it in crop mode. Also you can use the Metabones EF to E-Mount Speed Booster Smart adapter in crop mode as well to gain a stop and still end up full frame.

• @Sohus sorry but there are so many inaccuracies in what you wrote. Especially the 1 stop slower comment. So much for facts.

• Sony made some weird choices: the NEX is their best selling line in terms of market share, it seems like they are killing it.

This is bullshit wrote by few guys on the net.

They are also doing exactly the same as with the NEX: launch good bodies with horrible lens line-up. This system is only going to get really interesting in 2015.

How so? They announced good lenses with it. Any E mount lens work perfectly in APS-C mode. You can mount almost anything on E mount, including amazing old lenses.

I think he is one of the most in depth writers in the photography industry. He doesn't do hype, he does facts.

He is one of most interesting guys writing things to boost sales of specific cameras and smartly add doubts to others. He is not a good guy to read, quite the contrary.

• I advice everyone to read this article, I think he is one of the most in depth writers in the photography industry. He doesn't do hype, he does facts.

----Links removed by VK -----

Sony made some weird choices: the NEX is their best selling line in terms of market share, it seems like they are killing it. They are also doing exactly the same as with the NEX: launch good bodies with horrible lens line-up. This system is only going to get really interesting in 2015. As you can read, the lenses need special optimisations because of the short flange distance. Zeiss and Sony lenses will have this correction, but all currently available lenses won't have those optimizations. I also noticed that almost all lenses are 1 stop slower than in comparing lens systems.

I hope the video quality will be good, especially the A7 has interesting specs for that.

• TheCameraStore posted their comments on A7 video capabilities. Lot of Moire and soft image. They still prefer the GH3.

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2013/10/15/sony-a7-a7r-hands-field-test

• @ Renovatio With friendship and warmth, I suggest you start searching these forums and those on other sites and using google search for topics such as "crop factor" and "legacy lens mirrorless", etc. I understand your struggle/curiosity as I was in a similar place once too.

But much of what you are asking has now been covered here and other places exhaustively. This is a supportive community but there is also an expectation of bringing some reflective inquiry to bear.

Do some searching. You will learn a lot and further inquiry will then also contribute.

P.S. I know personally what a struggle working in a second language can be, but your grasp seems solid. Just need to do some research...

• Use the OM-NEX adapter with Olympus 35mm SLR lenses on the full frame A7, A7r and VG900. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wKJWbGGHL.jpg

• @joe1946

No, i was thinking to OM lens, legacy (or vintage? Don't know as you called them) lens.

• Are you talking m4/3rd OM lenses ? No, the A7 has a full frame sensor. The A7 has the same E mount as the NEX cameras. The A7 should work like the Sony NEX-VG900 full frame E mount camcorder using the Atomos Ninja 2 to record uncompressed video.

• So, is it true OM lenses can go perfectly on the A7 without crop or problems?

Edit: also, uncompressed video with an external recorder. But how?

Edit 2: in any way i see, i'm realizing they do the best thing they could do in the worst way ever, with a different E-mount.

• People on the other camera forums are amazed at how small the 36MP A7r is compared to the 36MP Nikon D800E that beat the 40MP Pentax 645D on the Pentax Forum ! http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/nikon-d800e-vs-pentax-645d/conclusion.html#conclusion

36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 493K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E back view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 481K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E side view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 340K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E top view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 465K
  • BIONZ X also brings two new features. Diffraction-reducing technology combats the effects of diffraction limiting, improving detail at smaller apertures. Interestingly, the effect applied is both lens and aperture specific, and said to work even with Alpha-mount lenses shot through an adapter. It also has what Sony bills as "Detail reproduction technology", which tries to draw out finer details without creating halos in the process

And here we have deconvolution :-)